The Pets of the Lounge

Comments

• edited July 2016
    Thank you Sarah!  We didn't even mean to become "the people with all the white cats."  It was sort of an accident at first. :)
  • Hi, dear Kitten friends!  This is our beloved late boy Jamie with Dane.  I have dozens of photos of these two cuddling exactly like this...Dane growing pic-by-pic until he’s eventually bigger than Jamie, but their positions are always the same:

From the second they met, kitten Dane and 12-year-old Jamie belonged to each other.  Chloe, a youngster herself, would romp and chase with Dane; then Jamie would lovingly groom him, and then they’d fall asleep in each other’s arms.  Or just hang out together, spooning.

But during Jamie’s month-long decline before he died in April, he was just too sick to cuddle.  Sometimes he’d even *hiss* if Dane came too near, and you could see Dane’s heartache and frustration.  In his last days, Jamie finally did allow him to at least stay close by...so Dane spent all of his time keeping watch over him, like this:

(Dane's expression!!  Sniffle.)

Anyway.  Dane is such a quiet guy...with just the teeniest tiniest little voice.  We rarely hear it, but when he does vocalize it’s not even remotely cat-like – can only be compared to the sound of a broken plastic child’s whistle!  He’s the opposite of funny Chloe, who’s so chatty and has a big, deaf-cat voice.*

Last month, Chloe had a liver infection.  (Responded very well to antibiotics, so no surgery was necessary, but she had to stay in the hospital for a few days.)  When she got sick, Dane was obviously very concerned – and then he saw that she did not return home along with my husband from the emergency vet's…!  At that point, Dane, who’d lost Jamie only three months earlier, began doing the most amazing thing:  vocalizing often, and IN CHLOE’S VOICE.  Omg, it gave me chills!!

We were shocked.  And so curious:  would Dane continue with this new voice, now that he’d figured out how to do it, after Chloe came home?  But no, he immediately went back to his quiet ways and his wee whistle-voice.  Which we only ever hear when his dinner is very late!

* Link:  (Here’s a :20-second video of her in the visiting room at the hospital – calling HALP! HALP!  while staring at the door knob, lol.  You can’t tell here how LOUD she is, but trust me. :)  Btw, the fur they shaved from her wrists is still growing in…her little “boots” are really cute!)

Oh that sad, sad meow brought tears to my eyes!  And Dane's expression...where's Narcissus?  I need cuddles!!!
  • Can you imagine how busy the men's restrooms must be at the RNC? All that foot tapping! I sure hope it does not trigger an earth quake!
  • edited July 2016
    Hi, @carlatheviking, hope you're doing well!  You’re home now, right? – Narcissus must be so happy.  And getting so many hugs, as you make up for your time away and store up for the near future. :)  Watching birds is nice, but can’t compare to the feel of such beautiful kitty fur, or the sound of a purrrrr….

• Hi, @carlatheviking, hope you're doing well!  You’re home now, right? – Narcissus must be so happy.  And getting so many hugs, as you make up for your time away and store up for the near future. :)  Watching birds is nice, but can’t compare to the feel of such beautiful kitty fur, or the sound of a purrrrr….

Yes, I'm home for two more weeks.  (Only two more weeks!  Sob!)  Narcissus is very happy until I cuddle him too much and then he gets huffy.  Right now he's hiding outside somewhere, but the thunderstorm is over so hopefully he'll come inside to the air conditioning soon!
  • edited July 2016
    My poor little Sydney is suffering especially bad this year from her allergies.  Usually it is just a couple week in spring and we can manage it with benadryl.  This year it just seems to be getting worse and worse, she was starting to get little bald spots.  So I had to take her to the vet for shots and some stronger medication.  I hope it heals quickly now.  :(  

Here she is when she isn't all itchy.

• Aw @MonteCristo what a cutie!!! I hope she's feeling better soon! 
  • edited August 2016

Fendi the Diva cat.       The late Stripes the Pug (June 4, 2004 to May 6, 2016)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1790741647812598&set=p.1790741647812598&type=3

• @fendiboots, Fendi the Diva cat has such a lovely mane, especially the white on the chest. And sitting there so delicately with crossed paws! Stripes looks at you with such soulful eyes.
  • @fendiboots, Fendi the Diva cat has such a lovely mane, especially the white on the chest. And sitting there so delicately with crossed paws! Stripes looks at you with such soulful eyes.
    I miss him so much. He died of natural causes. Every single morning they were my audience in the bathroom. 
    Fendi now has a 2 month old tabby roommate who she reluctantly accepted. They play until Fendi hides in the linen closet or under the sofa.
    I miss him so much. He died of natural causes. Every single morning they were my audience in the bathroom. 
    Fendi now has a 2 month old tabby roommate who she reluctantly accepted. They play until Fendi hides in the linen closet or under the sofa.
  • I can't help thinking Fendi was the brains of the operation! I bet Fendi could make stripes do anything she wanted!
  • I can't help thinking Fendi was the brains of the operation! I bet Fendi could make stripes do anything she wanted!
    Her nickname is Bossy Boots. 
  • got to get a pic of Angus up with his summer haircut- the brindle came out silvery/white this time (last time was a red/gold) he feels SO soft!
  • Figured this would fit best in here:

Kitten's back legs are paralyzed; vets make him a little wheelchair with K'nex toys and he has a blast!
  • edited August 2016
    . I needed oxygen after viewing. Cuteness overload.
  • @carlatheviking Thanks for sharing that video! What a little cutie!
  • My sweet Chloe's new favorite thing to do is to drop her catnip fish in the water bowl and put it on my face during the night. How can something so cute be so mean? :)
  • allie07 said:
    My sweet Chloe's new favorite thing to do is to drop her catnip fish in the water bowl and put it on my face during the night. How can something so cute be so mean? :)
    That's pretty high-level attention seeking! Amazing.
  • edited August 2016
    Someone turned 6mo yesterday!
    For some reason, I can't post pictures anymore.
  • We got adopted! This little bit of fluff came running up to us the other night, wolfed down some food we gave him, drank a lot of water, wolfed down some more food and then came inside looking for more. It wasn't the first time he said hello but you have to admire his persistence.

His name is Stormy. Other than the first day, there has been no hissing from Linus. No poofy tails at all, lots of curiosity (uncertainty from Linus really -- 'are you planning on keeping this thing? He has no respect for personal space!') He purrs up a storm and he's very very sweet. Vet visits and such to come but, so far, we have two kitties getting along and that's a huge relief,

• edited November 2016
    @Dandesun What a cutie pie Stormy is!

Here's a photo of my Chloe. She's a year and half old now and such a joy. BUT I swear she's a human that came back as a cat. She's so smart - it's kinda scary.

• So sweet! 

Urchin was such a pest last night. Spent about 4 hours jumping from my husband to me, sitting on our heads until she got ear scratches then bouncing to the other person. 
  • Lol Urchin! Cats are so weird.

Chloe's been getting the crazies after she eats. Runs all over, jumping on furniture and meowing like a madwoman.
  • allie07 said:
    @Dandesun What a cutie pie Stormy is!

Here's a photo of my Chloe. She's a year and half old now and such a joy. BUT I swear she's a human that came back as a cat. She's so smart - it's kinda scary.

Oh my God, I want another cat now!
  • The dogs have snuck through their gate twice this week to come to the Forbidden Upstairs Kingdom of Cats. The gate is missing one slat so we have a Tobin James box blocking that (it got moved out of position and since these dogs are shockingly clever sometimes, they figured it out and got through) and then the one side that we use to open and close is coming apart (I blame my Hulk-like grip) and flimsy so they managed to move that this morning.

They then sneak upstairs like ninja dogs because they know they aren't supposed to be there. Meanwhile, the cats sit together in my room and crane their necks to get a glimpse of the invaders from what they've apparently decided is their Sanctum Sanctorum (my room). This is when I usually notice that things are Suspiciously Silent. I then see the cats very interested in the hallway and go out to find the dogs sneaking about.

This morning, when I shooed them back downstairs Bailey tried to steal Linus' ribbon toy. This is full on warfare!! This is like The Underking Dargrul stealing the Hammer of Khaz'goroth from the Highmountain Clan! Linus is wildly possessive of that ribbon toy. He carries it around and yowls about it then sits on it so Stormy can't have it. He gets really torked when I use it to play with Stormy and then grabs it back and carries it around to yowl some more.

And a dog tried to steal it this morning.

I hope there is a diplomatic solution because things could very easily get ugly. The ribbon toy is a sacred feline artifact!

• @Dandesun that made me laugh!! Looks like the Dogs are trying to start a war with the Cats!