Figure Skating

Comments

• Lynn Holly Johnson
  • Ice Castles, anyone?
    I listed Ice Castles (the one from the 70's with Lynn-Holly Johnson, Robby Benson, and Colleen Dewhurst, not the remake) on the thread about movies that you watch whenever it's on.  To this day if I trip on something I will say "The roses.  We forgot about the roses!".
  • nolakent said:
    Ice Castles, anyone?
    I listed Ice Castles (the one from the 70's with Lynn-Holly Johnson, Robby Benson, and Colleen Dewhurst, not the remake) on the thread about movies that you watch whenever it's on.  To this day if I trip on something I will say "The roses.  We forgot about the roses!".
    There's a remake of Ice Castles? Who knew? I'd watch that. (Not Cutting Edge, right?)
  • @OffToSeeHim ; Ice Castles was remade in 2010 starring Taylor Firth and Rob Mayes.  I loved the first one so much (as cheesy as it was!) that I have not watched the remake, but it might be worth it!  I just don't know if I could handle it if they replaced the "Eyes of Love" theme song with pop or hip-hop!
  • So can anyone confirm when the Nationals (or is it World?) will be televised and on what channel?

• I remember liking Javier Fernandez.  In his defense, I believe this is SUPPOSED to be a comic costume, no?

• And what the heck, I love Javier's quad dismount in this one:

• So can anyone confirm when the Nationals (or is it World?) will be televised and on what channel?

I'm too lazy to scroll and see if anybody answered this yet. That's at the 1994 Olympics in Lillehammer, her skate lace had broken and although she had managed to cobble it together, it wasn't supporting her ankle in the way she needed to perform the triple jumps in her routine. She skated the first minute or so of the routine, then skated over to the judges and showed them her lace and told them about the problem. She had been the first to skate, and became either the last or second to last. Some people at the time said that the girl who was supposed to go second got a really bum deal on that, because it broke her concentration to be moved up to first.
  • I'm too lazy to scroll and see if anybody answered this yet. That's at the 1994 Olympics in Lillehammer, her skate lace had broken and although she had managed to cobble it together, it wasn't supporting her ankle in the way she needed to perform the triple jumps in her routine. She skated the first minute or so of the routine, then skated over to the judges and showed them her lace and told them about the problem. She had been the first to skate, and became either the last or second to last. Some people at the time said that the girl who was supposed to go second got a really bum deal on that, because it broke her concentration to be moved up to first.
    And I'm an idiot, I thought you were asking if this was at Nationals or Worlds. Never mind.  :-D Can't delete it now, it's out there forever!
  • I'm too lazy to scroll and see if anybody answered this yet. That's at the 1994 Olympics in Lillehammer, her skate lace had broken and although she had managed to cobble it together, it wasn't supporting her ankle in the way she needed to perform the triple jumps in her routine. She skated the first minute or so of the routine, then skated over to the judges and showed them her lace and told them about the problem. She had been the first to skate, and became either the last or second to last. Some people at the time said that the girl who was supposed to go second got a really bum deal on that, because it broke her concentration to be moved up to first.
    And I'm an idiot, I thought you were asking if this was at Nationals or Worlds. Never mind.  :-D Can't delete it now, it's out there forever!
    Ha, yes, I was just wondering about the upcoming events and wanted to post a funny photo of Tanyagate, or was it Kneegate?  I guess this particular moment was Shoelacegate?  I remember being impressed at the meltdown.
  • altalinda said:
    It looks dated now, but I loved this performance by Klimova and Ponomarenko at the time:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5O85swOkgj8
    OMG, this is the performance I have been searching for for years!!! I remember seeing it, didn't remember their names, thought it was easily the best 4 minutes of skating I had ever seen - thank you!!!!
  • jibjib
    edited March 2015
    There was a Russian pairs team, he had a first partner he won gold with, then he had another partner he won gold with. They used to always comment on how strong he was, he lifted his partner up almost vertically over his head. I remember in the second Olympics the big excitement came from her fear of the death spiral because of an incident, and she hadn't been able to do it at all, but she pulled it off and they won.

Does anyone remember their names?? She had short hair. I think he was hot! 
  • jib said:
    There was a Russian pairs team, he had a first partner he won gold with, then he had another partner he won gold with. They used to always comment on how strong he was, he lifted his partner up almost vertically over his head. I remember in the second Olympics the big excitement came from her fear of the death spiral because of an incident, and she hadn't been able to do it at all, but she pulled it off and they won.

Sounds like Artur Dmitriev. First first partner was Natalia Mishkutenok. She was very limber. They had a lot of signature moves that looked like contortiony like position that were dramatic and kind of sexy.

I recall they came out of retirement along with Gordeeva and Grinkov to re-compete. The latter won. The former came in 2nd. The Canadian who were world champs came in 3rd and were mighty pissed the previous champs came back
  • jib said:

Pretty sure you're talking about Artur Dmitriev. I loved him! He and his second partner did this really cool side by side spin that I still remember.
  • Frank_821 said:
    jib said:

Sounds like Artur Dmitriev. First first partner was Natalia Mishkutenok. She was very limber. They had a lot of signature moves that looked like contortiony like position that were dramatic and kind of sexy.

I recall they came out of retirement along with Gordeeva and Grinkov to re-compete. The latter won. The former came in 2nd. The Canadian who were world champs came in 3rd and were mighty pissed the previous champs came back
    Whoops, jinx! I don't know why but I didn't see this post until I had posted too! :)
  • jib said:

Pretty sure you're talking about Artur Dmitriev. I loved him! He and his second partner did this really cool side by side spin that I still remember.
    Yes, I think it was Artur!! I loved him, too - he was a great skater, very strong, very handsome. Yum!!! 
  • jib said:

• jib said:
    jib said:

I just watched the videos from '94 - Artur and Natalia vs. Gordeeva and Grinko. I don't know, but it seems to me that Artur and Natalia's program was way better - harder, and much more passionate. I don't know how much of a lead Gordeeva and Grinko had going in, and they were classically beautiful, but so much more boring!! 
  • edited March 2015
    Artur Dmietrev?  You mean this guy? :-)  

(Just posted that to make us all feel better about the passage of time).  

And I thought I should post a photo of G & G:

And this one, to make us all feel better about healing after tragedy:

Oh gawd. The Jurassic Park skate lace debacle.
  • Seriously? That is Artur now? Ewwww.

• jib said:
    Seriously? That is Artur now? Ewwww.
    jib, I'm sorry.  The distinctive mole pattern on his face matches to my eyes.  Here is a progress pic?

• Jack said:
    I used to be a pretty dedicated fan, but the new Code of Points just makes so little sense to me that it makes everything much more confusing to follow. I've only just started following it again. At least the new Gymnastics code is somewhat easier to manage. I was also super pissed about Sotnikova's Sochi win.

I think I'm still going to tune into worlds this month though, I'm hoping Ashley Wagner does well.

This is my favorite program right now, mostly because I live for this Mozart concerto:

Thanks for posting this. It was exquisite. 
  • Anniebets said:
    Jack said:
    I used to be a pretty dedicated fan, but the new Code of Points just makes so little sense to me that it makes everything much more confusing to follow. I've only just started following it again. At least the new Gymnastics code is somewhat easier to manage. I was also super pissed about Sotnikova's Sochi win.

I think I'm still going to tune into worlds this month though, I'm hoping Ashley Wagner does well.

This is my favorite program right now, mostly because I live for this Mozart concerto:

Sotnikova's gold at Sochi was questionable; the only thing that I enjoyed about the women's free skate was that the Italian competitor skated an exquisite program. As long as the rules encourage skaters to behave as if they are jumping beans on ice, we'll get less artistry, which is such a shame.
  • Worlds are the end of this month --- the last week in March. Usually NBC has been showing the event on the Sunday afternoon after the last competition takes place, I'll updated if I see something about it
  • violina23 said:
    Worlds are the end of this month --- the last week in March. Usually NBC has been showing the event on the Sunday afternoon after the last competition takes place, I'll updated if I see something about it
    Thanks.  I'm not even sure how to search for it on my DishTV.  I guess I'll type in "skating" and see if anything shows up.
  • edited March 2015
    Does anyone remember Gordeeva & Grinkov? They were amazing - completely dominating pairs figure skating for the late 80's and early 90's. They fell in love and had a daughter together, and then he died suddenly - it was such a tragedy. The first time I saw her skate alone, I swear you could almost see him there on the ice with her. I was sobbing, and I wasn't the only one.
    She's now married to Ilia Kulik, I think. Oh. I didn't see this was already posted. That'll teach me to read the whole thread first. 

I LOVED Mishketunok & Dmitriev, she was so incredibly flexible, and he was like a GOD on the ice and it didn't hurt that he was deliciously beautiful with that oddly beautiful face and that thick head of curls.

Also, Klimova & Ponomarenko -- Dracula! LOVE LOVE LOVE.

Anyone remember Victor Petrenko? Always with the funny, loved him, too. Also, there was a crazy West European team, Mandy something? They were always doing really unusual things, cannot for the life of me remember their names. I prefer the pairs/ice dancing to the solo performances. 

• Does anybody remember a routine, I think it was ice dancing, where the pair's costumes were actually one costume? I could swear I saw this, but I don't even know what to search for. It was actually one big costume, they were in there together.
  • Anniebets said:
    Jack said:

Sotnikova's gold at Sochi was questionable; the only thing that I enjoyed about the women's free skate was that the Italian competitor skated an exquisite program. As long as the rules encourage skaters to behave as if they are jumping beans on ice, we'll get less artistry, which is such a shame.
    Totally agree with this. Miki Ando skated (I think in 2010?) to a performance that was terribly boring but received high marks because she landed jumps. Makes me sad.

If you compare Sotnikova's performance in 2014 with Yuna's in 2010, Sotnikova's is nowhere near as technically strong, and yet those performances are only separated by a few points. I don't think the controversy was that she won; for me, it was that she received such high marks for a performance that clearly had mistakes.
  • This is such a fun thread, bringing back so many memories. I remember Viktor Petrenko-great skater, and apparently he was a really good guy off the ice as well, from comments some U.S. skaters made once.

I'll have to check NBC's schedule next week for the world championships. It's still must viewing for me.