Figure Skating

Comments

• Viktor Petrenko! I remember he and Oksana Baiul had some kind of adoptive-sibling relationship with one another... He did seem like a nice guy...

According to twitter, many of the skaters are heading over to Shanghai this weekend!

As I mentioned, if you get the station "USA Sports", you will probably be able to watch most of the competitions, complete and un-edited.  Unfortunately, we are not a big sports-watching family so it is not in our package, so we'll be watching on NBC, presumably next weekend... I'll check and report back when I know more.

• I can't wait for Worlds! When I lived 400 miles away from my Mom we would call each other & watch it together so that we could talk about it. She got me hooked on watching it as a kid, LOVE skating drama!!
  • Today on NPR host Robin Young interviewed Sam Auxier, the president of the U S Figure Skating Association.  Young did a great job of basically asking him twice if he felt that the artistic side of skating was being hurt by the emphasis on the technical skills (especially the quad).  Auxier, of course, gave PC answers, saying that figure skating is better than ever, and that there's so much more technical ability AND artistry, yadda yadda.

• Here is a link to the schedule for Worlds:
    http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/23/figure-skating-world-championships-schedule-nbc-winter-olympics/

It is being aired on Saturday night from 8-10PM on NBC, the other events are scattered on Universal Sports if you get it (It's not part of our package, but occasionally FiOS unscrambles them, presumably for some kind of promotion)
  • So they're only showing two hours on NBC of the entire thing?!  Did I read that correctly?
  • Correct, unless you have Universal Sports. I believe you can possibly stream it live from ice network, but I don't love the sport enough to switch to Shanghai time :)
  • violina23 said:
    Here is a link to the schedule for Worlds:
    http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/23/figure-skating-world-championships-schedule-nbc-winter-olympics/

It is being aired on Saturday night from 8-10PM on NBC, the other events are scattered on Universal Sports if you get it (It's not part of our package, but occasionally FiOS unscrambles them, presumably for some kind of promotion)
    I think that, aside from promoting Johnny Weir and Tara Lipinski that NBC does a truly pisspoor job of covering skating.  While the sport might not have the appeal it once did, a mere two hours sucks.
    Off to check whether our cable package includes Universal Sports
  • Yeah, unfortunately it hasn't been bringing in the ratings it used to. They tend to just show the top men and ladies competitors... the pairs/dance completely get the shaft.

We do NOT get Universal Sports in my Fios package (We're not big sports-watchers in general), but sometimes it's unscrambled, like during the Olympics, so I check periodically in case I get lucky.

I was wrong about the ice-network --- I mean, you can stream it, but it's not free, and I'm not paying $50.... http://web.icenetwork.com/home
  • NBC says it's showing the Ladies' and Ice Dancing on Saturday at 8 pm ET, the Men's and Pairs' on Sunday at 3 pm ET.
  • If you happen to be lucky enough to be near the Canadian border, they're showing it twice each day on the CBC. 
  • altalinda said:
    NBC says it's showing the Ladies' and Ice Dancing on Saturday at 8 pm ET, the Men's and Pairs' on Sunday at 3 pm ET.

My NBC channel is only airing Worlds Saturday evening, nothing on Sunday. :(
  • If you have the Chrome Hola extension, you can set your VPN to Canada and watch on the CBC website. The Ladie's LP is tonight at 10:30 EST and the Men's LP is tomorrow morning (the final flight is at 9 am EST).

Also for you Gymnastics fans, Aly Raisman and Gabby Douglas are making their competitive return tomorrow at a competition in Italy at 11 am EST. Simone Biles is also competing, so if you haven't seen her you'll probably crap your pants. https://www.youtube.com/user/FGIfederginnastica

It's the gayest weekend in sports ever!
  • Wow, the French dancers were captivating.
  • altalinda said:
    Wow, the French dancers were captivating.
    The French ice dancing team were the best of the evening-they had really good unison, which matters so much in ice dancing, and they brought so much emotion to their performance.
  • altalinda said:
    Wow, the French dancers were captivating.
    I thought that Weir and Lipinski were spot-on in talking about how organic their skating is, and about how they are leading a new approach to ice dancing.
    I enjoyed the NBC telecast, but it left me wanting to see so much more coverage.
  • I agree that the coverage is insufficient, and putting off showing the rest for 2 weeks is shameful.  I've been thinking of writing a cranky note to NBC.
  • I just got a chance to watch it this afternoon (kidlets & husband were sick... 1 guess as to who was the biggest baby about it). The triple axel was pretty awesome to see in competition, but i found myself underwhelmed by the quality in general. 

Gracie Gold seems like she is struggling with a lot of internal stuff, because she just seemed to phone in that performance. Like I said before, I feel like she needs to can the "pretty princess" programs and do something a bit more edgy, maybe it would suit her better.

Ashley Wagner attacked her performance, and I see the point that they had nothing to lose, but it was nice to see her go after it. I wasn't a fan of the Moulin Rouge program earlier in the season but it completely grew on me. 

Polina Edmunds has the most light, effortless looking jumps, but girl, if you are trying to present yourself as more mature, don't skate to "Tinkerbell". You don't necessarily have to go to the Michelle Kwan route and reinvent yourself as a biblical seductress (Anyone remember "Salome" in 1996?) to show that you've grown up. But maybe go with something a bit more intense than the pre-school crowd.

FYI, By following Johnny Weir on Facebook & Twitter, I accidentally got spoiled on the men's competition, so if you are holding off, be careful!
  • Nice to see a little bit of Javier which shouldn't be surprising considering my posts on Page 4 of this thread.

I thought the French (and Greek?) team was the best and by quite a bit actually.

The women were kind of bland, or maybe it was the coverage.  The winner seemed to be obvious from the get go.
  • I've loved figure skating forever, and have watched in on the teevees since the 68 Olympics. Ice dance is probably my least favorite discipline, as I usually don't know what to look for (besides twizzles, of course). That said, I thought the French team were far and away the best of the lot at Worlds. 

Historically my faves among the ladies are Michelle Kwan, naturally, Yuka Sato, Kim Yu Na. Of the men I loved Kurt Browning, John Curry, Toller Cranston and especially Ilya Kulik. I could watch Kulik skate forever. His triple axel was massive and breathtaking -- he'd float up in the air, rotate at the top of the arc and then land so softly that the entire enterprise looked effortless. That's him in the pic with Ekaterina Gordeeva and their two kids.
  • Nice to see a little bit of Javier which shouldn't be surprising considering my posts on Page 4 of this thread.

I thought the French (and Greek?) team was the best and by quite a bit actually.

The women were kind of bland, or maybe it was the coverage.  The winner seemed to be obvious from the get go.
    Yea, as soon as Liza landed the 3A, the title was pretty much hers. 
    It was thrilling to watch since there were quite a bit of movement between the short and the free skate, and I'm pretty happy with the podium, but none of the performances were memorable for both men and women.
    And please no more phantom of the opera (unless Akiko Suzuki is un-retiring and resurrecting her old program).
  • violina23 said:
    I just got a chance to watch it this afternoon (kidlets & husband were sick... 1 guess as to who was the biggest baby about it). The triple axel was pretty awesome to see in competition, but i found myself underwhelmed by the quality in general. 

Gracie Gold seems like she is struggling with a lot of internal stuff, because she just seemed to phone in that performance. Like I said before, I feel like she needs to can the "pretty princess" programs and do something a bit more edgy, maybe it would suit her better.

Ashley Wagner attacked her performance, and I see the point that they had nothing to lose, but it was nice to see her go after it. I wasn't a fan of the Moulin Rouge program earlier in the season but it completely grew on me. 

Polina Edmunds has the most light, effortless looking jumps, but girl, if you are trying to present yourself as more mature, don't skate to "Tinkerbell". You don't necessarily have to go to the Michelle Kwan route and reinvent yourself as a biblical seductress (Anyone remember "Salome" in 1996?) to show that you've grown up. But maybe go with something a bit more intense than the pre-school crowd.

FYI, By following Johnny Weir on Facebook & Twitter, I accidentally got spoiled on the men's competition, so if you are holding off, be careful!
    I remember that Michelle Kwan performance-was that the one where she wore about 10 pounds of make-up to try to make her look more mature?  
  • I remember that Michelle Kwan performance-was that the one where she wore about 10 pounds of make-up to try to make her look more mature?  
    Pretty much! She was great, but clearly trying too hard.

Her short program that year was fun too:

(LOVED the dress too)
  • Her Tosca still gives me chills every time I see it. Made all the more incredible by Dick Button's commentary

• Jack said:
    Her Tosca still gives me chills every time I see it. Made all the more incredible by Dick Button's commentary
    Absolutely exquisite, and damn, but that woman was a competitor.
  • I have been figure skating for most of my life, including freestyle and ice dancing so I have a different view of the results. I have to disagree about the French team winning the gold medal at World's this year.  I agree that they had a great program, but their performance was sloppy (weak twizzles, synchronization problems, unmatched leg line, too much two-footed skating).  I think the judges fell victim to the Oksana Bauil syndrome.  The program was enchanting, so they overlooked the technical issues that would have earned any other team a lower placing.

• I was lucky to grow up in Ann Arbor and belonged to the AA Figure Skating Club in the mid-60's to late 70's. In my time our annual ice show featured up-and-coming-talents like David Santee, Charles Tickner, and (before she became a world champion) Dorothy Hamill. Amazing to see so much talent up close!
  • Thought I'd bring this thread forward. Anybody watch the world championships, Thoughts... Feelings... I was going to put Jason Browns Closing/Exhibition skate in the what's making us happy thread. But felt this was more appropriate.
    I missed all the short programs, wasn't paying enough attention to schedule.
  • I saw only bits and pieces of the World Figure skating championships. NBC does such a pisspoor job of promoting it...don't get me started.
  • Bringing this thread forward: Watching the men's short program on the NBC Sports network. Pretty clean programs so far. Also a lovely moment backstage when Nathan Chen and Dick Buttons met.
    NBC will air the ladies free skate live in Friday night
  • Bringing this thread forward: Watching the men's short program on the NBC Sports network. Pretty clean programs so far. Also a lovely moment backstage when Nathan Chen and Dick Buttons met.
    NBC will air the ladies free skate live in Friday night

I enjoyed the short programs, though as often happens I liked some of the also-rans better than the big names! Among my favorites were Tim Dolensky and Emmanuel Savary. (I prefer the routines with intricate spins and footwork to the ones that emphasize the how-many-quads-I-can-do - or how-many-quintuples, which seems to be the going thing for the long programs.)