Figure Skating

12346»

Comments

• Yea! People to discuss skating! The men last night were generally great. I LOVED Adam Rippon's sparkle, leather and sheer dance club routine. It' probably won't win points with the pearl clutching skating judges, but it sure was fun! The US ladies are, as usual, a mess. If Mirai gets passed over again for Ashley Wagner, I think the Mirai fan club may want to whack her in the knees. Ashley has been skating her Moulin Rouge routine for 3 years now! Even Tara Lipinski is bored with it. Go Mirai and your triple axle!
  • Bringing this thread forward: Watching the men's short program on the NBC Sports network. Pretty clean programs so far. Also a lovely moment backstage when Nathan Chen and Dick Buttons met.
    NBC will air the ladies free skate live in Friday night

I enjoyed the short programs, though as often happens I liked some of the also-rans better than the big names! Among my favorites were Tim Dolensky and Emmanuel Savary. (I prefer the routines with intricate spins and footwork to the ones that emphasize the how-many-quads-I-can-do - or how-many-quintuples, which seems to be the going thing for the long programs.)
    I enjoyed Dolensky and Savary as well, for the same reasons. It is such a pleasure to see great footwork.
  • Lucydevil said:

Yea! People to discuss skating! The men last night were generally great. I LOVED Adam Rippon's sparkle, leather and sheer dance club routine. It' probably won't win points with the pearl clutching skating judges, but it sure was fun! The US ladies are, as usual, a mess. If Mirai gets passed over again for Ashley Wagner, I think the Mirai fan club may want to whack her in the knees. Ashley has been skating her Moulin Rouge routine for 3 years now! Even Tara Lipinski is bored with it. Go Mirai and your triple axle!

I am rooting for BrandiTennell and Marai to bring their A game in the free skate. Nothing against Ashley Wagner, but if other women beat her on the ice, so be it
  • Watching NBC now as the ladies free skate begins. They showed Gracie Gold in the audience. She has been treated for an eating disorder, anxiety and depression. This sport is chewing these young women up and spitting them out...
  • What a wild ride for the Men's competition! Ultimately, they picked Chen, Zhou, and Rippon. I think that was the right group.
  • Lucydevil said:

What a wild ride for the Men's competition! Ultimately, they picked Chen, Zhou, and Rippon. I think that was the right group.

Probably is a good group. I do feel for Ross Miner; I absolutely love that he skated to a Queen medley
  • Side note: It's pretty shocking to me that Rippon is the first openly-gay athlete to qualify for a U.S. winter Olympic team (now joined by Gus Kenworthy).
  • https://goo.gl/images/y48rP9love her expression here. Yeah right figure skating isn't a sport
  • Why are there so many empty seats??
  • https://goo.gl/images/y48rP9love her expression here. Yeah right figure skating isn't a sport

yeah, pretty awesome!

I know a guy working out there and he says there's not a whole lot really near to the venues, plus the buses and trains and things are basically taking 2 hours to get from the nearest big hub to the venue, and everything is costing a zillion dollars. So he's not going to anything because it'd take a whole day and a crapton of money, and I assume a lot of local Koreans feel the same way.

I know a guy working out there and he says there's not a whole lot really near to the venues, plus the buses and trains and things are basically taking 2 hours to get from the nearest big hub to the venue, and everything is costing a zillion dollars. So he's not going to anything because it'd take a whole day and a crapton of money, and I assume a lot of local Koreans feel the same way.
    Thank u! That’s nuts!!
  • I posted on FB about how I am just not into the olympics this go-around, but realized part of it is...well, I am personally very very very very ashamed to be an american right now so 'getting behind the home team' has very very little interests...

HOWEVER, Coffee Bear is Slovenian so if he wants to invite me over to root for them, sure :) :) :) (he commented on how he was cheering them on (in some competition...hockey? when they beat the U.S. team :smiley:
  • Our openly gay athletes are giving me LIFE & pride!
  • edited February 20

Our openly gay athletes are giving me LIFE & pride!

Yes. Rippon and Kenworthy are such wonderful faces of resistance in these trying times. Because, seriously, screw the dangerous hypocritical hyper-"religious" self-righteous POS that is our VP.
  • nolakent said:

Our openly gay athletes are giving me LIFE & pride!

Yes. Rippon and Kenworthy are such wonderful faces of resistance in these trying times. Because, seriously, screw the dangerous hypocritical hyper-"religious" self-righteous POS that is our VP.
    All I have to add is: WORD.
  • Seeing Adam Rippon in Moschino on the Oscars RC last night makes me pine for a Rippon exhibition program to Prince's "LittleRed Corvette " or "Kiss"