Plus Size Fashion

Comments

• Oh right! Carry on then.
  • Yes! Swimsuits for all is the best!!!
  • KarenFK said:
    @TravelingDesign, I have the exact opposite fit issue. I need an 18/20 bottom and a 14/16 top. We need to get two pieces or Tankinis and swap!
    Swimsuits for All sells their pieces separately so you can buy the size you need for each.
  • I didn't really explain my fit issues well enough.  My boobs are an 18/20, but my bust size around is more like a 14/16.  The tops work if they tie in the back, but they very rarely do.  I bought a bikini last year because I loved it and it was really cheap....but I'm going to have to do some serious tailoring on it to get it to fit for this summer.  

I did a quick Google search and they are out there, but a bit pricey.  
  • However, Swimsuits for all WILL in fact send you a milliony hundred emails.
  • However, Swimsuits for all WILL in fact send you a milliony hundred emails.
    They are out of control SALE!!!! ALL THE SALES!!! 
  • I didn't really explain my fit issues well enough.  My boobs are an 18/20, but my bust size around is more like a 14/16.  The tops work if they tie in the back, but they very rarely do.  I bought a bikini last year because I loved it and it was really cheap....but I'm going to have to do some serious tailoring on it to get it to fit for this summer.  

I did a quick Google search and they are out there, but a bit pricey.  
    Swimsuit for all and surprisingly Forever 21 online.  Swimsuit for all will let you buy separates in case your top half is a different size than your bottom. I bought 2 suit last summer and honestly I like the F21 better
  • @TravelingDesign, well we still have opposite problems -- my band size is larger than the bra/swimsuit folks believe is possible for my cup size so that the cups are always too big on a swmsuit top and it is hard to find a bra with the correct band size that has my cup size available -- but it isn't a problem we can fix by swapping anything!

I have long dreamed of getting my bras and swim suits custom made. I think I even put that in our "what would you do if you won the lottery" thread.
  • KarenFK said:
    @TravelingDesign, well we still have opposite problems -- my band size is larger than the bra/swimsuit folks believe is possible for my cup size so that the cups are always too big on a swmsuit top and it is hard to find a bra with the correct band size that has my cup size available -- but it isn't a problem we can fix by swapping anything! I have long dreamed of getting my bras and swim suits custom made. I think I even put that in our "what would you do if you won the lottery" thread.
    Same....I'd just prefer custom Carolina Herrera and Oscar de la Renta with just a touch of McQueen. 
  • I SO hear you.  For me the cups are always too big.  I'm only a C and anything in my size assumes you're a D or DD. It's pretty frustrating.  I would LOVE an underwire suit, but there's no way it will fit.
  • Bought a pair of plus size stockings, rather irritated at the price - $5.37 for a single pair of stockings!!  From Wal Mart!!  There were some pairs for $3, but they only had "nude" (the color I want) in A and B sizes.  Do manufacturers consider only women of color to be overweight?!

Obvious solution is to kickstart a new diet, but blah.  A girl needs stockings even when the new lifestyle regime she tried failed miserably!!
  • edited March 2016
    @carlatheviking  I have to buy my nude hose at a department store.  They never have my size in a true nude for my fair skin.  Everything I've found in "nude" at the big box stores read as "suntan" on my legs.  
  • @carlatheviking  I have to buy my nude hose at a department store.  They never have my size in a true nude for my fair skin.  Everything I've found in "nude" at the big box stores read as "suntan" on my legs.  
    That's just even more expensive though, isn't it?
  • @carlatheviking  I have to buy my nude hose at a department store.  They never have my size in a true nude for my fair skin.  Everything I've found in "nude" at the big box stores read as "suntan" on my legs.  
    Not if they are on sale.  I mean, you're not going to get them for $5...but I'll gladly pay double for something that is the color of my skin and fits. 
    Not if they are on sale.  I mean, you're not going to get them for $5...but I'll gladly pay double for something that is the color of my skin and fits. 
    I guess that's fair!
  • ONLINE y'all!!!
  • @drsparkles YOU CAN SHOP ONLINE?! What is this sorcery you speak of?!

/sarcasm ;) 
  • heh. Especially for plus sizes, it's the only way  :(  IMO
  • I hate shopping online for clothes unless I know what size I am in them - I don't always necessarily have the fundage to buy a few sizes in everything I want to get and send back what doesn't fit OR just buy something and hope it fits and looks good on me. I just hate the hassle in sending stuff back when its not right and then waiting for the funds to get refunded onto my card, etc. 

I just wish retailers would understand that and let us folks who need bigger sizes have the same shopping experiences as others. Its beyond frustrating to go into a store and be told "oh we don't carry anything in the store over a 12, you have to go online" 
  • SarahBeth said:
    I hate shopping online for clothes unless I know what size I am in them - I don't always necessarily have the fundage to buy a few sizes in everything I want to get and send back what doesn't fit OR just buy something and hope it fits and looks good on me. I just hate the hassle in sending stuff back when its not right and then waiting for the funds to get refunded onto my card, etc. 

I just wish retailers would understand that and let us folks who need bigger sizes have the same shopping experiences as others. Its beyond frustrating to go into a store and be told "oh we don't carry anything in the store over a 12, you have to go online" 
    I had to buy a new sportsbra recently, and *apparently* fat girls don't exercise. I found one store that carried my regular size, and discovered that I'd need to go up a band size... which they didn't carry. Fortunately the one I bought online after that did fit.
  • @sarahbeth  I've even noticed one of my favorite designers doing something very interesting.  Calvin Klein always had a size 16 in every dress on the rack.  Now, they no longer make a lot of the dresses in a 16.  Now, he's got a plus size line so I suppose he wants you to trot over to the plus size department and pay more for a size 16.  

• @sarahbeth  I've even noticed one of my favorite designers doing something very interesting.  Calvin Klein always had a size 16 in every dress on the rack.  Now, they no longer make a lot of the dresses in a 16.  Now, he's got a plus size line so I suppose he wants you to trot over to the plus size department and pay more for a size 16.  

That's another thing that chaps my ass - why deos plus size mean SUPER OMG EXPENSIVE. I get it takes more fabric, I do, but don't double the price because its a plus size and not a normal size. Fat girls have budgets too and want to look pretty. 
  • This is something that might not bother @TravelingDesign because she's tall but also - being plus size doesn't mean you have really long arms necessarily!
  • edited March 2016
    @foodycatAlicia I've never noticed the plus sized tops having longer sleeves.  BUT, being a tall person, I don't buy that many long sleeved tops.  It's 3/4, short sleeve or sleeveless because they are never long enough.  Even the long sleeve tops I do have, I roll up the sleeves.  You know, come to think of it, anything with long sleeves I roll up.  Suppose I've just gotten used to everything being too short, when it fits, it just doesn't feel right. LOL 
  • SarahBeth said:
    @sarahbeth  I've even noticed one of my favorite designers doing something very interesting.  Calvin Klein always had a size 16 in every dress on the rack.  Now, they no longer make a lot of the dresses in a 16.  Now, he's got a plus size line so I suppose he wants you to trot over to the plus size department and pay more for a size 16.  

That's another thing that chaps my ass - why deos plus size mean SUPER OMG EXPENSIVE. I get it takes more fabric, I do, but don't double the price because its a plus size and not a normal size. Fat girls have budgets too and want to look pretty. 
    I have a bunch of patterns now for clothes that actually fit *ahem* and at MOST they're half a yard more of fabric than the smallest size on the pattern.  I can see a 10-15% markup being fair for fabric allowance, but definitely not 50!!
  • edited March 2016
    @carlatheviking Exactly!  I've got plenty of patterns that are size 12-20 and the variance is always less than a yard because you often use the width of the fabric to increase the pattern, not the length. 

ETA: and even the pattern companies are a bit shit on the pattern layouts on the fabric.  You often can get away with even less if you lay out the pieces your own way instead of the ridiculous fabric wasting way they show on the diagram. 
  • My pet peeve is Empire waists.  Not every plus-sized woman looks good in and Empire waist.  In fact, I look AWFUL in them, but 90% of dresses have them.

There's also the, "you're plus-sized, you must have HUGE breasts" phenomenon. Sorry, I'm a C not a DD.

I have to say, I find that I've bought a few Calvin Klein pieces.  I like the way they fit and look on me...except for the body-con dresses which are a little to con for this body!

I believe I ranted about the need to buy online months ago.  We have in this thread of posts proven the fact that we really do need to be able to try on our clothes like everyone else.
  • SarahBeth said:
    I hate shopping online for clothes unless I know what size I am in them - I don't always necessarily have the fundage to buy a few sizes in everything I want to get and send back what doesn't fit OR just buy something and hope it fits and looks good on me. I just hate the hassle in sending stuff back when its not right and then waiting for the funds to get refunded onto my card, etc. 

AMEN to everything from this post down!  Looking cute as a plus size gal is like slaying dragons!
  • agreed!!!! (for men too!!!)
  • Happy... in fact so so relieved to report a 75% successful first order from Torrid for summer/vacation clothes.  All 3 pairs of shorts were perfect - jeans, black and khaki. 3 very flatting tops.  One very lovely strapless bra.  I need to return the sundress (empire waist strikes again... i'm a size 16-18, not 8 months pregnant!!) And a coral moto-style jacket I don't remember ordering and didn't really have a use for. 3 days ago I had to return every single piece from a LOFT order - they don't really do "plus size" apparently - I got XXL pieces - they were big enough I guess, but totally unstructured and unflattering.  Awful.  I was feeling very down in the dumps but now my spirits are lifted today now that I have found a source for flattering clothes!!