Plus Size Fashion

Comments

• My style has shifted as of late and I find myself shopping at Torrid more often than not, but I've also grown quite fond of Nordstrom's plus-sized selection. 
    Yes, Nordstrom's is my favorite plus size store.

• Also, I don't want a band around the bottom of any shirt I own. Ever. 
    So true. Why do they do that?
  • @SingingPhoenixD You might try Making It Big online. Their clothing is seemingly made for 6 foot tall females - my step-sister has been buying from them for years and lately is frustrated that every damned top seems to be past her knees (she's just under 5'3"). Not sure about the prices, but I suspect mid priced. 
  • edited March 2015
    @Anniebets  I looked at it.  The thing is there's just no STYLE to the clothes.  

I think that's one of my biggest pet peeves.  It's like no one can be bothered to DESIGN for larger women.  The clothes have no interest to them.  I am a well-educated, intelligent professional with a sense of style.  I just happen to be larger than average.  I should be able to find clothes which reflect that.
  • For work clothes, I order from Monsoon in the UK (same company as Accessorize). They have an excellent range of well-made clothes that FIT in a decent selection of sizes and in really nice fabrics. I have been buying most of my professional clothing from them--and some of my nicer casual stuff, too--for years. Only downside is ordering in small batches to keep the customs duties down on the packages. I can sometimes find their stuff on eBay, too. And who doesn't want a shopping trip in London? Seriously, there is a Monsoon store on practically every corner there.
  • Freynika said:

I heard recently that Ralph Lauren is cancelling their plus-size line.  Does anyone know if there's any truth to this?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I *love* Ralph Lauren Woman!!!! This is a HUGE sad for me.
  • Cap sleeves are the debbil. I hates them. 

Also, I don't want a band around the bottom of any shirt I own. Ever. 

AMEN.  What the hell is the point to cover the top of your shoulder and nothing else?  If I wanted sleeveles, I'd buy it.

I cut a lot of the elastic bands out of my shirts, especially if they're peasant-style.  I have less problem with it if they're sewn in properly or at least 2" wide, but if they keep flipping over the rest of the waist-area, they're completely useless.

• My favorite places to shop are ASOS, Dorothy Perkins (both UK stores that ship to the US) and Old Navy. 

I also shop at Macy's a lot but find that it works best if you shop there online. I'm a size 18 and that way I can shop the straight size departments and filter by size. A lot of brands go up to 18/20 (or XXL) online, and they're much more fashionable than a lot of the stuff in the plus size section. Of course this method isn't going to work if you're looking for sizes larger than that, but if you're 14-18, it's pretty good. 
  • My biggest challenge is finding good quality plus size career wear. I work in advertising so I don't need suits every day, but I do meet with clients regularly and want to look professional. I wear a jacket or cardigan most days and could definitely use more wool blazers.

Ulla Popken always has something I like in their catalog, and I buy from them fairly often. I recommend Juno Active for high-quality swimsuits, outerwear and workout knits up to 6X. They used to have a greater range of casual wear, of which I bought a lot. Fortunately many of the tops are still holding up years later, but I've worn out the twill pants.
  • I think shopping is hard work no matter what a person's size, but we plus-size ladies and gents have to work even harder. Once I accepted that as a fact I let go of a lot of anger and dread about shopping. There's actually way more available now than there ever has been, and even the retailers that have been around for a good while are making an effort to improve. People have mentioned the crap fabrics, but I find that's mainly at the lower price points now -- you can definitely get better quality stuff if you're willing to pay for it, look out for coupons, or watch for sales. I still buy inexpensive items at Kohls or Old Navy, but I do so knowing they certainly won't last as long as things I pay more for at, say, Lord & Taylor. (In fact, I think I'm totally over Kohls. The last couple of things I bought there pilled up, shrunk and faded after only one washing.)

That said, I really wish Lane Bryant would start carrying more of their bra styles in B cup! As several people have mentioned, the quality of their intimates is so good, and I love love love their undies, but have never found a bra there that really works for me.
  • Instead of pulling all the designers from these articles I thought I would just post links to the articles:

I'm looking for an article I read a while back in the NY Times (I think) talking about how plus size women are tougher to design for because there is such potential swing in shape in a size 20.  Sounds like it was an offensive article, but it was actually prestty interesting and helped me reconsider how I was buying my plus-sized clothing. 
  • edited March 2015

Oh geez....just thinking about this gives me hives! I'm 5'5 AND plus size, so I tend to fall into a particularly aggravating grey area, especially with pants. Short or "petite" pants usually work better for me in terms of length, but I carry the majority of my weight in my midsection, so I often have to go larger in the waist to ensure a proper fit.  The problem is that sometimes the "petite plus" pants don't always come in the larger waist sizes that I need, so then I'm forced to go up into "Regular" length, which always seem to be about 2 feet too long on me. It gets expensive to have pants altered after awhile, and to be honest, sometimes I'm cheap. If I manage to snag a pair of pants on sale, say for $40 or under, I just can't justify spending $20-$25 to alter them. I'm willing to bet there's a lot of ladies out there who have a similar size situation, so I wish the plus-size companies would accommodate this and make their petite plus size pants available in larger sizes. This is especially a problem with jeans, and it gets damn frustrating after awhile! The only company that I don't run into this problem with too often is Torrid, but some of their jeans are a little too "junior" in their design, while a lot of Woman Within's stuff is a bit "old" for my taste (hello, elastic-waist jeans!) so it would be nice to have the option of buying from some more brands.

• Jeans I hem myself.  Pants I buy in multiples. If I find a pair in petites that work, I get them in every color they make. I actually buy a fair amount from Woman Within & OneStopPlus, but you have to get creative with styling to keep them from looking too granny. 

I like Eloqui for work wear. They are stylish without being too trendy, but not very pricey.
  • I have found that Eddie Bauer  "long" sizes really do well with extra length needs.  You can get shirts that really reach the wrist and are long enough to tuck in
  • I'm really glad I started this thread.  There have been lots of great suggestions.

It is frustrating that we have to jump through hoops to find what we want and are limited in the number of retailers.  Many of the suggestions have been online retailers.  That's ridiculous, because as we've seen from this thread, we come in all shapes and sizes, so being able to try on clothes is important.  Things have gotten a little better because of those online retailers, but we are still marginalized by the industry and by most retailers.

Part of me wants a bunch of us to dress in our most fabulous outfits and show up at the NYFW venues to protest.  We are a viable market.  We are stylish women and we deserve to not be ignored by the fashion industry.
  • I'm really glad I started this thread.  There have been lots of great suggestions.

It is frustrating that we have to jump through hoops to find what we want and are limited in the number of retailers.  Many of the suggestions have been online retailers.  That's ridiculous, because as we've seen from this thread, we come in all shapes and sizes, so being able to try on clothes is important.  Things have gotten a little better because of those online retailers, but we are still marginalized by the industry and by most retailers.

Part of me wants a bunch of us to dress in our most fabulous outfits and show up at the NYFW venues to protest.  We are a viable market.  We are stylish women and we deserve to not be ignored by the fashion industry.
    It's especially frustrating as a Canadian, because many of those online retailers are based in the USA and don't offer affordable shipping to Canada.
  • I bought a pair of Triumph 1914 Docs recently - surprisingly, the width is perfect. I'm mostly okay with the dyke/punk/lazy/pushing forty with big feet and a bunion so F it look, but man, sometimes I wish for cute cherry-red patent leather heels that didn't cost $230 to customize in my size...
  • edited March 2015
    There's always Full Figure Fashion Week. (I have yet to attend). However I am attending CurvyCon. Any NYC BK's that wants to meetup let me know. I'll probably drive up for the day so I'm not locked into a bus schedule so I'll be a little flexible with my time.

I think it's good for plus size BK's that love fashion to follow plus size bloggers. I also think it's good for the ego. I am continually surprised at those who allow society to make them feel ashamed or unpretty because they are full figured. I like be reminded that pretty does not end at size 12.
  • @Sonce try Elomi bras, they're a European company that also makes Freya & Fantasie. They're well made, come a great range of sizes, are constructed to be flattering & even better, they're flat out gorgeous. These bras are PRETTY and comfortable! I love them.
  • @Sonce try Elomi bras, they're a European company that also makes Freya & Fantasie. They're well made, come a great range of sizes, are constructed to be flattering & even better, they're flat out gorgeous. These bras are PRETTY and comfortable! I love them.
    Second this. I have 1 and plan to buy more. If you are looking for a good sports bra, Elomi are one of the top contenders.
  • edited March 2015
    Man, when I was in Germany, I puttered through a department store and was amazed at the selection of lingerie - pretty, functional, and not absurdly expensive, but I hadn't really brought the extra funds for that kind of shopping.  Next time!
  • edited March 2015
    I'm finding it fascinating that everyone on here has trouble with length as well as just size.  Either you're too tall (like me) and nothing is long enough, or you're too short, and everything is too long.  I've always just assumed that designers thought that everyone over 5'10" was just a supermodel and never would need plus size clothes, but now I'm just assuming that they have no clue, and it matters so little to them that they hold their nose, make the clothes, and just don't give a rat's ass whether they'll ever actually fit anyone.

I like ASOS Curve the best.
  • Well, I bought some tees off Woman Within (that name gives me a sad) yesterday. Got both 'styles' (modern & classic). Hopefully they will be longer & not end up as belly tees!
  • @LJCDOC, the length issue is pervasive, for sure, but also there is the idea that if you are big elsewhere, you must have big boobs.  I am not particularly large on top (meaning, I can usually wear non-plus size tops and leave the plus sizes to my lower half). This makes shopping for dresses difficult -- any thing that fits my size 16 top half is too tight on my 18/20 bottom half. And conversely, if something fits my bottom half it is swimming on top (or falling off). 
    And even worse is how hard it is to find a bra. It is very hard to find bras with a larger band size and small cups. Plus size bras start with C cups and go up, in my experience.   
  • I buy my towels for the gym from Woman Within. They have these towels with 3 arm holes which makes it easy to wrap the towel around you and walk back to the locker room from the shower without trying to keep the towel closed and carry your wet clothes and shower caddy.
  • Milaxx said:
    I buy my towels for the gym from Woman Within. They have these towels with 3 arm holes which makes it easy to wrap the towel around you and walk back to the locker room from the shower without trying to keep the towel closed and carry your wet clothes and shower caddy.
    I want!

Word, SingingPhoenixD! 

I mostly shop online these days. I find the Plus Size in-store offerings to be sub-par at best, a lot of the traditional grandma-type patterns and unflattering cuts. 

My favorite sites:
    Macy's (I like the Calvin Klein Plus line)
    Nordstrom
    ELOQUII
    Old Navy

I miss how fun shopping used to be when I fit into a size 10/12. Now, I just surf through endless horrible options trying to find the least offensive item!
  • Wondering why it is so hard to fond our sizes?  I just saw this article from Mental Floss about sizing women's clothing.

Check out some of the designers measured women in the past!  
  • Cap sleeves are the debbil. I hates them. 

Also, I don't want a band around the bottom of any shirt I own. Ever. 
    THIS!!!!  So many shirts I've picked up saying, "Oh, so cute!" and then I see the dreaded band.  Sorry/notsorry I gained 60 pounds after a horrid breakup and have yo-yo'd between 30 and 50 pounds overweight for the past four years...I simply will not wear anything that makes my fat stomach, big thighs and birthing-variety hips look worse than they must!

I shop mostly at Ross and Stein Mart.  Affordable, and they have surprising gems among the dreck.  If you sign up for Stein Mart free Preferred Member program you get a lot of emails but some fabulous deals too - I just got a gorgeous earring and necklace set for just $6.50 on blue slash clearance whereas their MSRP was about $75.  Original Stein Mart prices (before the sale) were about $30.  I once got a salmon-pink summer frock for $6 on blue slash clearance that is now selling (in a teal color) for $25 on the regular racks!  Even better, I once got a $100 Ann Taylor dress for $15.  So you have to hunt, but you can find gorgeous things.

I also need someone to make button-up shirts that will fit over my breasts and not stretch and gap to show my bra.  My only recourse is to buy one size up and wear an undershirt, and as I live mostly in Florida and Texas, that's a highly overheating solution.  Longer shirts are also a must - there's nothing I hate more than having to yank on my shirt seven thousand times a day or risk walking around with my stomach hanging out.
  • @singingphoenixd ooh wait - instead of some variation on Clothes For Amazons.... could call it Clothes For Broads. *cackle* (it's funny/appropriate AND we won't get sued!)

*goes back to shopping for a long-line swimsuit or a tankini that won't float up in the water and show everything I'm trying to conceal in the first place*