The BK Forums User Guide and FAQ

Comments

• Lilithcat said:
    There's a thing under "edit profile" called "quote settings" that says <i>How many levels deep should we start folding up quote trees?</i>

What does that mean in English?
    It means it will continue to indent quoted replies if there are a whole string of them (for instance, if you quote this post, and the someone else quotes your post, it will indent 3 times, for each quoted post. At some point, it becomes unreadable if you don't put restrictions on it. Just put 4 for now and see how that works the next time you encounter a string of quotes. 
  • edited February 2015
    Okay, that makes sense, now that you explain it!  Thanks!

And at some point I'll figure out how not to post twice.
  • HI @LILITHCAT!!! I was wondering if you were going to make it over here!  :)
  • HI @LILITHCAT!!! I was wondering if you were going to make it over here!  :)

How could I not?  I'd have to turn in my BK card!
  • A question about quoting etiquette:

I just used the quote function — but before posting my own thoughts I deleted some of the quote in order to isolate the specific paragraph to which I was about to respond.  (Didn’t disagree with anything he’d written; just zeroed in on the relevant part for the sake of clarity.)

After I did this it occurred to me that it might be considered, at best, rude!  I have no experience with this kind of forum, so please let me know!  Thanks.

• @Winter_White, I do that all the time at other message boards. I find it cuts down on extraneous text. But if the consensus is that it's rude I'll gladly stop doing it.
  • @Winter_White and @JeanneM -

On every board I know that has a similar function, it's actually considered rude to quote the entire post to which you're responding, at least if it's at all lengthy or has multiple topics.

It gets really confusing otherwise.

(In fact, one site where I post frequently allows you to highlight a portion and then it will quote just that part.  It's a really great feature.
  • As long as you aren't changing the text, snipping the relevant portion of the quote is usually considered perfectly cromulent behaviour.
  • @JeanneM  @Lilithcat  @foodycatAlicia   Thank you for helping me!

Before posting my question I did a quick check in the forums, and saw only whole-cloth quotes.  But maybe just because that way is immediate – it did take a bit of time and fiddling to excise the patch of quote I wanted.  (Didn't mind – I'm the fussy, fiddly type – but I understand that other people have lives, etc.)

Any strongly dissenting opinions out there?  Speak now or forever...live in fear of being only partially-quoted by JeanneM, Lilithcat, foodycatAlicia or Winter White....
  • Any strongly dissenting opinions out there?  Speak now or forever...live in fear of being only partially-quoted by JeanneM, Lilithcat, foodycatAlicia or Winter White....
    I just quoted you to see how it works - and I think that cutting down to the relevant part of the quote is a HUGE favor for anyone trying to stay with the conversation. I'm firmly in the voting-yea column.

• YEA

(Though sometimes commenting from tablet, phablets and phones may make that process a bit too tedious. I can't promise not just hit quote and move on with my comment.)

Calling attention tot he person you're speaking to via @heybethpdx help too. 
  • Quoting just the relevant snippets is fine with me.

@BitingPanda I refuse to accept "phablet" as a word. 
  • edited February 2015
    @PhDKnitter ;

"We're here! We're huge. We also make phone calls! Get used to it!"

~Phablets everywhere
  • @foodycatAlicia ; "Cromulent".  Love that.  That's my new word for the day.
  • Zoeg said:
    @foodycatAlicia ; "Cromulent".  Love that.  That's my new word for the day.
    It's from The Simpsons!

• Thanks, @BitingPanda -- I promise never to judge you or anyone else for not trimming quotes! ;)

And I agree about including the name (with @) of the person you're quoting in your post...took me days to realize that people were responding to me via the quote button, because I wasn't receiving notifications.  Doh.
  • Zoeg said:
    It's from The Simpsons!

I only watch that intermittently.  I must have missed that episode...

• Zoeg said:
    Zoeg said:
    It's from The Simpsons!

I only watch that intermittently.  I must have missed that episode...

It's the Jebediah Springfield episode!

@BitingPanda - good tip about @-ing people - I hadn't realised that normal quotes didn't get added to your notifications!
  • @Tom:

Back when I was "doing it wrong" I created a Discussion: Awesome!!. I've tried to delete it several times BUT it seems I don't have permission to do that.

Can you delete it or is this a lost cause?

• As long as you aren't changing the text, snipping the relevant portion of the quote is usually considered perfectly cromulent behaviour.
    I loved that episode. "A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man!"
  • I was wondering if a time stamp is in order for postings. The reason I ask is I am not sure if the last post is the oldest or the newest.
  • @JaneE, and wow, there it is!

• I'm a dolt. The long "i" in Mopsītis breaks the tag if someone tries to @ tag me. As a user, it doesn't look like I can change my username. Can an admin change it to "Mopsiitis," or am I better off registering a new account?
  • Mopsitis said:
    I'm a dolt. The long "i" in Mopsītis breaks the tag if someone tries to @ tag me. As a user, it doesn't look like I can change my username. Can an admin change it to "Mopsiitis," or am I better off registering a new account?

Fixed.
  • Thank you!
  • I was just coming here to ask if there's a way to change my username:  I regret mindlessly copying it over from the mothersite.  I didn't understand how this site worked when I registered...and now I see that I've made a bit of extra work for people who respond to me:  that unnecessary underline in the middle.

@Tom - I hate to ask, because you have better things to do than finesse usernames.  So I'll understand if you don't want to change mine for me -- the underline doesn't break the tag -- but I'd like to be 'WinterWhite.'

Otherwise, a question for anyone:  if I just get a new account, will I have to use a different avatar?  Any other downside to abandoning this account for a new one?

Thanks.

• Great!  Thank you.
  • Oh my gosh, I'm so glad you didn't have to change that beautiful avatar, @winterwhite!

• How kind, @OffToSeeHim – thank you.  I'm still not used to seeing my sweet, funny little girl's face there!  But she's an appropriate choice:  she's often right beside me when I'm using the computer, watching everything on the monitor with interest.  (She's here now in fact, and I see her looking at your avatar!)  :)