The BK Forums User Guide and FAQ

Comments

• edited August 2015
    @WinterWhite Do you mean you post the link within your comment and when someone reads your comment and clicks on it, you want it to automatically open in a separate window? If so, I don't know the answer to that. But whenever I want to click on a link that someone's posted, I always right click the mouse to specify open in a new window. Does that help? Probably not.
  • edited August 2015
    @Zoeg – yes, I want the links I create/post to automatically open in a separate window when clicked on.   I've noticed it works that way for some BKs' links, so I know it's possible!
  • you guys, i'm totally lost.  all i want to do is discuss tonight's project runway episode like the good old days.  can you explain in simple terms how i can do that?  i don't understand the forum format.  sleah loves you
    Like with threaded comments? We can't do that here I'm afraid! 
    Sleah, I SO miss that too- I swore up and down I would not watch but...gad I miss that (and being able to hit the 'like comment' 'dislike comment' rating system on the old gizmo. sigh.
  • edited August 2015
    How do I get a link I'm posting to open in a separate window?  Thanks!
    Like this? If this works, then what I did is click that icon on the top with < > on it, and then edit the HTML by adding target="blank" within the < a bracket.
  • How do I get a link I'm posting to open in a separate window?  Thanks!
    Like this? If this works, then what I did is click that icon on the top with < > on it, and then edit the HTML by adding target="blank" within the < a bracket.

But that seems to have REALLY screwed up the quoting though!
  • edited August 2015
    @OffToSeeHim  Thank you so much for trying to help me!

But I don't understand quite what you mean.  I'm just an ignorant Unfrozen Cavewoman Commenter – so I was frightened and confused when I clicked that <> icon and it made my whole post into an HTML mess!  :/

I'd assumed there was some way to select that as a permanent option...so it would just always open that way for any links I create.  But you're saying the smarties whose links open in a seperate window are doing that HTML operation each time they make a link?  Hm.

Thanks anyway, darling.

• edited August 2015
    *sob*

ETA  @Zoeg  Just so frustrating!  Knowing nothing of the HTML dark magic, I can't figure out how to configure the final bracket:  there's the /a, and the target="blank" but I tried every variation, including leaving out the /a.  Nothing I tried worked.  
  • edited August 2015
    Hey! Where'd the owl go?

Don't cry...there are still people who can't get their pictures to post at all...save your tears for them.  :-)
  • @OffToSeeHim  Thank you so much for trying to help me!

But I don't understand quite what you mean.  I'm just an ignorant Unfrozen Cavewoman Commenter – so I was frightened and confused when I clicked that <> icon and it made my whole post into an HTML mess!  :/

I'd assumed there was some way to select that as a permanent option...so it would just always open that way for any links I create.  But you're saying the smarties whose links open in a seperate window are doing that HTML operation each time they make a link?  Hm.

Thanks anyway, darling.

Yeah, you'd have to do it every time. I just always right-click and click "Open in new tab" anyway, so I have no idea how anyone's links are opening by default.
  • But I don't understand quite what you mean.  I'm just an ignorant Unfrozen Cavewoman Commenter – so I was frightened and confused when I clicked that <> icon and it made my whole post into an HTML mess!  :/

This part was funny, since that's the stated purpose of that button.  :-D
  • edited August 2015
    @OffToSeeHim   Lol – I thought it would just make my link into HTML, not the whole thing!  :D

I'm not this unintelligent ALL the time, I swear.

But again, thank you for trying.
  • @WinterWhite ; I asked my personal tech wizard (Mr Z) and he confirmed what OTSH told you. When you paste the link, the comment box editor builds the html for where the link opens. Why it sometimes specifies new window, and other times not, is something known only to whoever programmed the editor. To change it to default to always open in a new window would require changing the source code. I don't imagine that's something you'd want take on.  :-)
  • @Zoeg  Thanks, and please thank Mr Z for me!  Of course I never doubted the lovely OTSH – just don't know in what order things (and any spaces?) go in that final bracket.

The Quote function doesn't work properly for me half the time anyway.  I sometimes wonder if the fact that I use Safari on an iMac makes a difference?  I'll have to try Firefox for a while and see if my experience changes at all.

In the meantime...this is for you, my Zoeg.  :)
  • Thanks...an owl a day keeps the doldrums away.  :-)
  • edited August 2015
    So I've got to try this

Well THAT didn't work :(
    All the html disappeared as well as the @'s

Yay. Got it. But I think it's a bit too much trouble and won't remember it anyway.

If it's any help @WinterWhite, here's the page that I found to help me out.
  • Qitkat said:
    So I've got to try this

Well THAT didn't work :(
    All the html disappeared as well as the @'s
    That happened to me the first time too! I was like, "WTF?! Where'd that go?" I'm pretty HTML savvy, so I figured it out finally - as did you!  :)
  • And is that not just the CUTEST set of pictures ever?
  • An owl and a kitten? You've made my day, @Qitkat!
  • @Qitkat  Thank you, darling!   And those pictures are not just cute, they are Japanese-level cute. :)
  • @foodycatAlicia  I noticed that a link you posted yesterday opened in a separate window when I clicked it.  Do you do an HTML thing to your links to make that happen?  Thanks.
  • @foodycatAlicia  I noticed that a link you posted yesterday opened in a separate window when I clicked it.  Do you do an HTML thing to your links to make that happen?  Thanks.
    Nup.

For links where you click a hotlinked word, I just use the linky tool - the one to the right of the picture of the tree. You select your word to be linked, click the linky tool, and a window pops up for you to insert the URL of the link. Whether it opens in a new window or not isn't something I control! It seems to be alchemy.
  • edited August 2015
    @foodycatAlicia  I noticed that a link you posted yesterday opened in a separate window when I clicked it.  Do you do an HTML thing to your links to make that happen?  Thanks.
    Nup.

For links where you click a hotlinked word, I just use the linky tool - the one to the right of the picture of the tree. You select your word to be linked, click the linky tool, and a window pops up for you to insert the URL of the link. Whether it opens in a new window or not isn't something I control! It seems to be alchemy.
    Alicia, The Good Witch of the North:  <melodious laugh; gestures with sparkly wand>  Oh, Winter, it's all alchemy.  You'll never have any control over it!

Me, in pigtails and blue gingham dress:  <hurt expression>  *Gasp!*  But why didn't you post that when I first asked?  I had this terrible dream that @OffToSeeHim tried and tried to help me, but it involved HTML!  And @Zoeg's husband was there...and @Qitkat....and there were owls and a kitten and I just kept saying to everybody, I want my links to open in a separate window, I want my links to open in a separate window....
  • @WinterWhite ; Hahaha! You are adorable!

I call dibs on being the Cowardly Lion. "What makes the Hottentots so hot? COURAGE!"
    Nup.

Alicia, The Good Witch of the North:  <melodious laugh; gestures with sparkly wand>  Oh, Winter, it's all alchemy.  You'll never have any control over it!

Me, in pigtails and blue gingham dress:  <hurt expression>  *Gasp!*  But why didn't you post that when I first asked?  I had this terrible dream that @OffToSeeHim tried and tried to help me, but it involved HTML!  And @Zoeg's husband was there...and @Qitkat....and there were owls and a kitten and I just kept saying to everybody, I want my links to open in a separate window, I want my links to open in a separate window....
    Sorry love - but I didn't realise that was the answer to the question you were asking! I just thought it's how you make tidy word links, not how you get them to open in a new window!
  • I didn't know where else to post this, but has anyone else had a problem with a random website popping up and forcing a leave from tomandlorenzo.com? I was looking this morning, and no less than SIX times did my browser suddenly switch to this other site, while I was scrolling down. And of all things, it was a site for doggie poop bags!
  • Qitkat said:
    I didn't know where else to post this, but has anyone else had a problem with a random website popping up and forcing a leave from tomandlorenzo.com? I was looking this morning, and no less than SIX times did my browser suddenly switch to this other site, while I was scrolling down. And of all things, it was a site for doggie poop bags!
    I haven't, but they tweeted and posted on facebook that it is a thing they are trying to get rid of. I can't find the post but I think they said screencap and email them with it, please.
  • Thanks, I will, if it happens again.
  • Qitkat said:
    I didn't know where else to post this, but has anyone else had a problem with a random website popping up and forcing a leave from tomandlorenzo.com? I was looking this morning, and no less than SIX times did my browser suddenly switch to this other site, while I was scrolling down. And of all things, it was a site for doggie poop bags!
    I haven't, but they tweeted and posted on facebook that it is a thing they are trying to get rid of. I can't find the post but I think they said screencap and email them with it, please.
    I'm getting the same thing today.  And yesterday there was a really annoying pop up that kept covering up content over and over.
  • lngrunert said:
    Qitkat said:
    I'm getting the same thing today.  And yesterday there was a really annoying pop up that kept covering up content over and over.
    I haven't seen that when I've been on my desktop at home, but I did see it for a couple of days ago when I was accessing the site on my iPhone.
  • lngrunert said:
    Add me to the list....I got it, couldn't undo it and gave up...