Cocktail thread

Oh, I propose a thread for cocktail suggestions! I'll start it off - I love Negronis (gin, campari, sweet vermouth) and don't really love bourbons. I AM starting to really like different bitter liqueurs such as campari, amaro, grand classico - any cocktail suggestions for me, lo this Friday evening?

Comments

• Try Aperol - campari's younger cousin.  I don't enjoy it as much as campari, but it's nice for a change.  In my mind, there is no drink better than Campari with Cranberry Juice to evoke an evening in Italy.  It just tastes like Italy.  I prefer it with a wedge of lime, but it doesn't really matter. 
  • Ooh Campari & Cranberry sounds good. I've also had Campari sodas and (after the bitter shock wore off) like them quite well.

What do you do with Aperol? Do you mix it with anything?
  • I'm not a fan of bitter, but prefer tart over sweet any day. A classic daiquiri, or gimlet and I'm a happy girl.
  • edited February 2015
    My dad has a great daiquiri recipe - I'll have to find it. It's something like 1 of those little cans of frozen limeade concentrate + 1 can-full of rum + a sprite, blend and enjoy. I'm pretty sure that's right, actually.

ETA: and ice, of course!
  • I love a Manhattan or a Mint Julep. I'm not a big hard liquor fan, but I love those two which is funny, because they are basically just bourbon.
  • HeyBeth, if you like the bitterness in a Negroni, Campari will serve you well. Aperol is lighter, summery, fruity -- great with just soda water and a squeeze of lemon.

I'm a dirty gin martini and Scotch kind of girl, but I'll drink anything that's not overly sweet :)
  • Bee's Knees, courtesy of Brooklyngin.com (the Brooklyn Gin people were giving samples of these at a local liquor store):

2 oz. Brooklyn gin  (okay, obviously any gin will suffice, but this stuff is good, and you'll get a stunning bottle)
    3/4 oz fresh lemon juice
    3/4 oz honey syrup (equal parts honey and warm water)

Seriously, it IS the bee's knees...
  • I can't lie, I love fruity drinks and I adore tequila and rum. Maybe it's because my family's Caribbean? So in the winter time, I drink a lot of spiced rum and fresh cider with a cinnamon stick and cloves tossed in, and I love a mojito or a margarita in the summertime - I got some blackcurrant concentrate and flavored the margarita with that A LOT last summer. 
    (Tonight, however, I'm being lazy and just having a hard cider).
  • I like citrussy cocktails on the less sweet side usually. My pinterest drinks board has a lot of good stuff! But my go-to drink is a gin & tonic, made with Fevertree Naturally Lighter tonic water.
  • I'm a manhattan guy when I do a cocktail. Though I have been known to play with that idea for my wife's benefit. I make a mean maple manhattan by substituting the vermouth for maple liquor we get in Vermont. I also like the Sidecar, Moscow Mule...
  • @Mefein that sounds DELICIOUS! I normally drink Gin and Lemonade as it is, so this sounds great!
  • @foodycatAlicia

PS the link to your pinterest board has "http://" after the link so it won't open...luckily enough I was smart enough to delete that.
  • My favorite fancy cocktail from a place I go when I have money to burn. Though I'm drinking a nice merlot now, I'm seriously craving one of these:
    The Parlor: Gin, Apricot, Peychaud’s, Lime.

• For a delicious lazy drunk, I like to make lemongrass infused simple syrup and shake it in either gin or vodka and pour it over ice. Lavender simple syrup with vodka and lemonade is also a delightful quaff. When I'm entertaining, I like to have an easy to assemble cocktail ready to go so I can enjoy my guests instead of bar tending.
  • @jacob_daniel - bugger! Thanks. I don't think I can edit it, unfortunately!
  • I am not a fan of bourbon/whiskey either. Gin-based drinks are my usual choice. The New Deal gins are really, really superlative (haha). I usually just do a Greyhound, but when I feel like something a little more involved I do versions of cocktails I have had elsewhere.

Here are a couple yummy ones. I just fudge the amounts of each ingredient till it tastes good.

From Secret Society:
    Gin, St. Germain, lemon, sparkling water or soda

From The Observatory:
    Gin, rosemary, pear brandy, lemon

Is it 5:00 yet?

• It's Sunday - the sun's over the yardarm by about 11am!
  • I don't think it qualifies as a "cocktail" but every time I go to NOLA, my first stop is Lafitte's for a Purple Voodoo.  It kicks off the visit just right.
  • In the summer Caipirinha's are a must!
  • I love spiced rum, preferably Sailor Jerry's. The classic of course is to mix it with Coke. The other day we had some Jarritos Pinapple soda in the fringe so I mixed the spiced rum with that. YUM!

I got hooked on Aperol Spritzes while in Italy last year. It's Aperol, Prosecco wine and seltzer water. Top it with a slice of orange. I wish I could magically transport back to Rome everytime I drink one
  • edited February 2015
    Love Aperol spritzes in the summer!  

Need something bubbly based and festive but more wintery for Oscar night...last year I did a blood orange french 75 that I could do again, and champagne cocktails are an easy go to, but would rather do something new.   Something  with ginger, maybe? 
  • edited February 2015
    Ohhh love cocktails. Not quite into the browns yet (scotch, whiskey, bourbon) even though I love bourbon in desserts. Lane Cake  = YES. 

Here's some I love: 

Sherwood Avenue:

1.5 oz St Germain
    1/2 oz aged rum 
    3/4 oz lemon juice 
    1/4 oz Campari 
    few drops Peychaud's. 
    Egg white

Shake egg white & lemon with ice. Add remaining ingredients, shake hard. (a flip!) Serve in a martini glass or a coupe.

Falling Leaves:

2 oz dry riesling (I like Trimbach)
    1 oz Clear Creek pear brandy or other premium pear eau de vie
    1/4 oz honey syrup (I just use honey)
    1/2 oz orange curacao or Grand Marnier
    1 dash Peychaud's

Combine into a mixing glass with ice and stir until well chilled, strain into a martini glass. garnish with a star anise.
    (Clear Creek pear brandy is crazy expensive but really really good)

Shady Blonde:

Lillet blanc, pink grapefruit juice, sprig of thyme, champagne (I think I've also tried just putting the thyme in the shaker as well) 
    Can't really remember the proportions on this one, but I'm thinking it's something like:
    1 oz Lillet
    1.5 - 2 oz grapefruit
    thyme

shake it up with ice and pour into a flute, top with champers/bubbly. Could also be served over the rocks if you want.

• maschultz said:

Shady Blonde:

Lillet blanc, pink grapefruit juice, sprig of thyme, champagne (I think I've also tried just putting the thyme in the shaker as well) 
    Can't really remember the proportions on this one, but I'm thinking it's something like:
    1 oz Lillet
    1.5 - 2 oz grapefruit
    thyme

shake it up with ice and pour into a flute, top with champers/bubbly. Could also be served over the rocks if you want.

wow does that sound good. I was only recently introduced to the wonders of Lillet Blanc and am looking forward to enjoying it next summer!
  • Gemfemme said:
    I love spiced rum, preferably Sailor Jerry's. The classic of course is to mix it with Coke.
    I have a great rum drink:
    Make a simple syrup with cinnamon sticks + star anise + cloves, then mix it with an aged rum (I used Flor de Cana, 7 year old). It's so so lovely in the winter.
  • I love negronis!!! Delish.

Also Islay scotch, though I suppose straight booze doesn't count as a cocktail.

I make a mean jalapeno martini, and will drink an old-fashioned as well.

Anything with sugary mixers (rum/coke, vodka/cran) makes me recall college a bit to vividly.
  • Nuveena said:
    I'm not a fan of bitter, but prefer tart over sweet any day. A classic daiquiri, or gimlet and I'm a happy girl.
    I'm with you, Nuveena. I like sour way more than sweet. My alcohol of choice is vodka. I'm the designated drink maker in my crew. :-)
  • Love Aperol spritzes in the summer!  

Need something bubbly based and festive but more wintery for Oscar night...last year I did a blood orange french 75 that I could do again, and champagne cocktails are an easy go to, but would rather do something new.   Something  with ginger, maybe? 
    GenXcellent I love a Moscow Mule, or a Dark & Stormy for gingery cocktails. I've also had this, this and this bookmarked to make.
  • maschultz said:

Falling Leaves:

2 oz dry riesling (I like Trimbach)
    1 oz Clear Creek pear brandy or other premium pear eau de vie
    1/4 oz honey syrup (I just use honey)
    1/2 oz orange curacao or Grand Marnier
    1 dash Peychaud's

Combine into a mixing glass with ice and stir until well chilled, strain into a martini glass. garnish with a star anise.
    (Clear Creek pear brandy is crazy expensive but really really good)

This one sounds great. I like Clear Creek a lot--they do a very nice Blue Plum (Slivovitz) Brandy, and I like their Douglas Fir eau de vie. If you go to Portland you can do a tasting at the distillery.
  • What a great thread! Excellent cocktail ideas. Living in a tropical or semi-tropical climate, I tend to favor refreshing citrusy cocktails year round. My go-to is white rum, ginger ale and a good squeeze of fresh lime. Maybe it's just here but you have to make sure the bar actually has ginger ale and they don't try to pass off coke with sprite - yuck.
  • GenXcellent I love a Moscow Mule, or a Dark & Stormy for gingery cocktails. I've also had this, this and this bookmarked to make.

Thanks @foodycatAlicia.  I ended up going with French 75s for the Oscars, but I need to make that cardomom Moscow Mule soon!