Who is... Alex Trebek?

On the legs of a recent audition where I had to put it in the form of a question, I declare, "This... Is... JEOPARDY!" Admit it, some of y'all fashionables could hold your own with the smartest guys and gals in the room (or already ARE!)

Comments

• I'm in an Irish History class right now, and I freaked when they had an Irish History category on the show. But the questions were SO easy. I feel like that's the key to a lot of the obscure categories on the show. If you know the basics of a lot of stuff, you're really golden. Like I feel if I knew a lick about opera, classical music, or different styles of art I would do so much better.

I still can't get over when Alex had to read rap lyrics for the clues.
  • edited March 2015
    I was on the show almost 10 years ago. I was in the lead the whole bleeping game until Final Jeopardy.

But I'm not bitter! Not at all!

(I may or may not watch the show with my husband not only yelling out the answers, but on days when the players aren't doing so well, yelling, "I could totally take these people!" And he tells me, "You have to let it go.")
  • Yeah, it's been 20 years for me. For the record, "Mr." Is a courtesy title, not a form of address.

Also, Alex Trebek stands on a box while the contestants are in a sunken area. At least, on the old set.
  • They had auditions in Boston one year, I went but I didn't make it past the written exam. I take the quiz online every year but so far no luck. Some day...
  • I miss be able to watch Jeopardy

Personally I got a little annoyed with all the media hype about Ken "the greatest champion of all time". Technically he is the most enduring champion but it was such an unfair title since many great champions existed when they had the 5 day limit. I was glad when he lost that special tournament since it was rigged in his favor.

I always recall my favorite champion-although I am sure if he made it to 5 days. This was almost 30 years ago. He was knowledgeable, humble, self-effacing and witty. He was a mailman and he was the only person i ever saw shut out BOTH his opponents before final Jeopardy. And he did it TWICE. That's how good he was.
  • My friend's husband auditioned several times and is going to be in the show, I think they're taping at the end of March. Can't wait to see!
  • Pro-mustache, against-mustache.

Discuss.

• Who will Replace Mr Trebek?

(I so think Anderson Cooper would be a wonderful choice!)
  • Pro-mustache. His face just looks weird without it.
  • Pro-mustache, against-mustache.

Discuss.

Either way for me...
  • Pro-mustache.  I got invited to an audition a few years ago in Charlotte, but was running down to the wire time-wise and took the wrong exit for the hotel.  Damn google maps!  I did not have time for that kind of mistake.

I totally agree about the "greatest champion of all time".  I remember this one guy named Shep who was a 5-time champion back in the 60s some time when Art Fleming was host.  Those were the glory days of Jeopardy.  You didn't make as much money, but  the questions were harder.

The Civics teacher at our high school used to let his classes watch Jeopardy! and the Hollywood Squares.  I don't know that the kids learned much Civics, but maybe they learned something from Jeopardy.

Hi, guys!  What's going on in this thread?
  • I'm ambivalent about the mustache, but I often have strong opinions about what Alex and the contestants are wearing each day. :-)

A very nice lady in the past week or so had a strong affinity for Muppet sweaters. 

• A personal favorite:

• edited March 2015
    Testing. Never mind!
  • I love Jeopardy! It's my favorite show and love showing off my skills in front of people.  I hate that I have to go to work before it airs and that I don't have a DVR.  
  • edited March 2015
    My favorite thing is getting the final jeopardy question when none of the contestants get it right. I also enjoyed seeing someone I went to H.S. with and who had better grades and went to the more selective university miss the final which I knew. Who knows how I would do under pressure or that darn buzzer. I am very competitive and like to think I am smarter than the average bear. (Not the average kitten however)
  • edited March 2015
    My time last weekend keeping it smart on Chicago's Magnificent Mile reminded of this ONE. BIG. POINT for you future Jeopardy! auditioners... **Don't press the button until the last syllable of the question gets pronounced!!!!**
  • Fred_V said:
    My time last weekend keeping it smart on Chicago's Magnificent Mile reminded of this ONE. BIG. POINT for you future Jeopardy! auditioners... **Don't press the button until the last syllable of the question gets pronounced!!!!**
    What you can't see as a viewer is that there is a set of lights running around the board. These lights turn on a split second after Alex finishes reading the question. If you hit your buzzer before the lights go off, you'll be locked out of buzzing in for either 0.25 or 0.5 seconds, which is enough time to screw you if someone else knows the answer. Mastering that timing is key to doing well on the show.
  • JeanneM said:
    Pro-mustache. His face just looks weird without it.
    Agree. I am not a big fan of facial hair in general, but it looks very right on Mr. Trebek.
  • This fun fact was in the paper today: On this day "in 1964 the original version of the TV game show Jeopardy, hosted by Art Fleming, premiered on NBC". Happy anniversary everyone!
  • I love this thread! Jeopardy is the one show that we watch consistently in our house. I love the Trebek moustache, but I think he looks good without it. We are huge Trebek fans. Julia Collins was my favourite champion in recent history.
  • Zoeg said:
    This fun fact was in the paper today: On this day "in 1964 the original version of the TV game show Jeopardy, hosted by Art Fleming, premiered on NBC". Happy anniversary everyone!
    Oh, HAPPY DAY!! indeed.
  • Green and orange are my two favorite colors, but not a fan of the tie Alex is wearing tonight.

Also not a fan of the way he said, "...and a pretty good returning champion in Michael." Sheesh, Alex. 
  • Who will Replace Mr Trebek?

(I so think Anderson Cooper would be a wonderful choice!)

LeVar Burton! He's been lobbying for the position for a while.
  • Ooooooh. I can get behind that idea. 
  • Three perfect games during Alex's reign, though I'm a veteran of the old Art Fleming years, as well.
  • I'm pro-moustache.  Alex is one of the few who can rock one without looking skeevy or like Sgt. Pepper.

My aunt Catherine had the biggest crush on Alex Trebek until the day she died.  Auditioning for Jeopardy is definitely on my bucket list.  I usually kick everyone's ass when we watch it at home.

• Freynika, did you take the online contestant quiz last week? I hope I did OK. At least I did the best I've done in the past few years. I'd do better if they had a test that was strictly oral.  My typing's gone to hell since I had a mild stroke a few years ago, but it was better this year.  
  • I took it too. One of these days, I'll get the phone call.