Misheard Song Lyrics

Comments

• Sekhmet6 said:
    @nolakent ;    I almost spewed tea on my screen over the Stevie Nicks "Tampax, Tampax" lyric.                                                 What about Credence Clearwater Revival's Bad Moon on the Rise? I always heard "There's the Bathroom on the Right".
    I actually had to stop and really think about that one - fairly sure I sing "bathroom" too.
  • So, this is for a TV theme song, but I was fairly shocked that I had the lyrics wrong (from Full House)

What I hear: Whatever happened to predictability, the milk man, the paperboy, even MTV
    Actual lyrics: Whatever happened to predictability, the milk man, the paperboy, evening TV

Evening TV? Who even says that? I only found out because I took a silly lyrics quiz on Buzzfeed and got this part wrong :-p

• For theme songs... Family Guy

Misheard: all the things that make us f'ing cry.
    Actual: all the things that make us laugh and cry.
  • Remembered this one from my sister when Daft Punk's Get Lucky first came out:

Misheard: Like the legend of the penis
    Actual: Like the legend of the Phoenix
  • Anna_P said:
    Remembered this one from my sister when Daft Punk's Get Lucky first came out:

Misheard: Like the legend of the penis
    Actual: Like the legend of the Phoenix

I'm going to be giggling hysterically now whenever that song comes on.
  • Cousin used to kill me with Jimmy Buffet Cheeseburger In Paradise:

He sang: I like mine with lettuce and tomato, Heinz 57 and french fried tomatoes. 
    It is: I like mine with lettuce and tomato, Heinz 57 and french fried potatoes

What exactly is a french fried tomato I would ask him...
  • Proof that the ability to mishear song lyrics is hereditary:

From Sia's Titanium-
    My daughter misheard- I shot a ho
    Actual- You shout it out

Later in the song I heard- I'm gonna spoon myself to you
    Actual- I'm bulletproof, nothing to lose

• I know the Tampax thing is pretty ridiculous, but in my defense (1) I have older sisters, and (2) it didn't seem any worse than "like a douche in the night"!

@Karen_Belgrad I thought it was "f'ing", too, especially since it's from Seth McFarlane!

Once again I am in TEARS reading these!  So much fun!
  • I just got back from a screening of The Sound of Music and "Sixteen Going on Seventeen" song is full of lyrics I misheard as a kid.  I didn't understand the line "things beyond your ken"  because ken (meaning understanding) wasn't in my vocabulary as a 10 year old.  I also didn't know what a roué was.  (Neither did my husband and he's 59!)  I also didn't now that drinkers of brandies referred to brandy drinkers so that made no sense AT ALL.  I can't remember how I misheard bachelor dandies, but I did mishear it. When my vocab improved in a few years and I read the lyrics, the song made prefect sense.

There's a video on youtube with the song's lyrics written out and they don't know everything either.  They spell ken as kin and write roué as grueway.
  • Totally forgot about this one until the song came on the radio... courtesy of my brother...

Scorpions/Rhythm of Love

Actual Lyric: Rhythm of Love
    Misheard Lyric: Red muffler

(this makes total sense if you know Klaus Meine's singing accent)
  • Metallica's Unforgiven
    Always hear: To constipate his grace
    Actual Lyric: Through constant pained disgrace

& a bit more obscure
    Static X's Behemoth
    Always hear: Defusing the tuna!
    Actual Lyric: Diffusing the tune up.
  • edited April 2015
    Bon Jovi's You Give Love a Bad Name
    Misheard: Shot through the heart, and you're too late
    Correct: Shot through the heart, and you're to blame
    Not particularly exciting. 
  • MiamiGal said:
    Peter Gabriel

Games without Frontiers

Misheard:  She's So Popular
    Actual: Jeux sans Frontier
    Right. Of course. I knew that! I definitely didn't think it was "she's so popular" until this very moment.
  • I just sang along to Seals & Croft's "Summer Breeze" on the radio, and thought i might possibly be singing the wrong lyrics.  Yep!
    Actual lyrics:  "blowing through the jasmine in my mind"
    My version: "growing like the chasm in my mind"
    (My friends might argue that my lyrics are appropriate for me, but that's beside the point!)
  • omg_dora said:
    MiamiGal said:
    Peter Gabriel

Games without Frontiers

Misheard:  She's So Popular
    Actual: Jeux sans Frontier
    Right. Of course. I knew that! I definitely didn't think it was "she's so popular" until this very moment.

I thought it was "She's so popular" too! I'm still going to sing it that way whenever I hear it on the radio.
  • nolakent said:
    I just sang along to Seals & Croft's "Summer Breeze" on the radio, and thought i might possibly be singing the wrong lyrics.  Yep!
    Actual lyrics:  "blowing through the jasmine in my mind"
    My version: "growing like the chasm in my mind"
    (My friends might argue that my lyrics are appropriate for me, but that's beside the point!)
    Ha! I always understood the actual lyrics, but always thought I heard them wrong, as it still doesn't make sense to me. Poetic license I suppose. I like yours better!
  • Munchkn said:
    I just got back from a screening of The Sound of Music and "Sixteen Going on Seventeen" song is full of lyrics I misheard as a kid.  I didn't understand the line "things beyond your ken"  because ken (meaning understanding) wasn't in my vocabulary as a 10 year old.  I also didn't know what a roué was.  (Neither did my husband and he's 59!)  I also didn't now that drinkers of brandies referred to brandy drinkers so that made no sense AT ALL.  I can't remember how I misheard bachelor dandies, but I did mishear it. When my vocab improved in a few years and I read the lyrics, the song made prefect sense.

There's a video on youtube with the song's lyrics written out and they don't know everything either.  They spell ken as kin and write roué as grueway.
    @munchkin, you'll probably appreciate this then.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EolQjY7lmiM
  • Anna_P said:

Taylor Swift Blank Space

Misheard: Lonely Starbucks lovers

Actual: Long list of ex-lovers

Madonna: Ray of Light

Misheard: And I feel like a disco fool

Actual: And I feel like I just got home 

My husband thought it was I feel like a disco ball.
    I thought that the same thing about Starbucks lovers.  In fact, that's all it sounds like to me.
  • edited May 2015
    :)  If you’re ever lucky enough to be granted a Serial Lyrics Mishear-er as a good friend….it’s a gift that keeps on giving.

Just don’t be too quick to call out the SLM’s mistakes!  That will cause self-consciousness...and you’ll miss out on all those great moments when he/she is mindlessly singing to him/herself, and you get to be the silent, bemused listener.  (Of course, occasionally you can tease.  “Hey, what was that song you were singing a little while ago?  The one about the 'fiery gumball’…?”)

The hilarious misheard lyric I wish I could get out of my head came not from my friend, though, just somebody on the internet:  REM, Losing My Religion
    "Oh, Life is bigger, bigger than you, and you are knock-kneed.”

(Actual lyric:  “...and you are not me.”)    

• These mondegreens are great.  I'm cheered that I'm not the only who heard Tay-Tay sing about Starbucks lovers and also the euphemism on The Family Guy theme song.

Some of my other ones I've mentioned elsewhere:

Song: "What's Love Got to do with it?" (Tina Turner)
    Actual lyric: What's love but a secondhand emotion?
    Heard by childhood me: What's love but a sack in handy motion?

Song: "Mr. Cellophane" (from Chicago the musical)
    Actual lyric: Cellophane, Mr. Cellophane, should've been my name, Mr. Cellophane
    Heard by 20-something me: Cellophane, Mr. Cellophane, should I bend my name, Mr. Cellophane

Song: "Edge of Seventeen" (Stevie Nicks)
    Actual lyric: Just like the white winged dove
    Heard by 30-something me: Just like the wild ranger

I haven't heard this myself, but a bunch of my Latin friends thought that Pharrell was singing "Mexican lucky" in the Daft Punk song "Get Lucky."
  • I would not normally be exposed to the Taylor Swift song, but I was in a store the other day and there it was, The Starbucks Lovers. I thought: ooooh, this is what the other BKs heard. And they say it's NOT the real words? Whut? How often does she repeat it in the song, and every time it sounds like Starbucks.
  • I would not normally be exposed to the Taylor Swift song, but I was in a store the other day and there it was, The Starbucks Lovers. I thought: ooooh, this is what the other BKs heard. And they say it's NOT the real words? Whut? How often does she repeat it in the song, and every time it sounds like Starbucks.
    Same. It came up on my pandora station and I was like...ahhhh...so that is what the BKs were talking about. It will never not be Starbucks lovers for me now. 
  • And sadly, I now have my teenage son saying it, too.
  • I don't even call the song by its actual title, Blank Space. It's just Lonely Starbucks Lovers. 
  • This is not the topic to read while at work. cause I'm freaking dying reading these.

Taylor Swift would have been cool in my book, if her lyrics were about Starbucks Lovers. 
    Sigh. 
  • There's an archive of them here

Some new favourites:

Robert Palmer: Addicted to Love
    "Might as well face it, you're a dick with a glove"

Berlin: Take My Breath Away
    "In all that body lotion, somewhere there's a loving flame"

OneRepublic: Apologize
    "It's too late to order fries"

The 5th Dimension: Aquarius
    "This is the dawning of the Age of Asparagus" 
  • @Anna_P I had a friend who always sang "Addicted to Love" as "Might as well face it, it's your dick that's in love."
  • @PlasticMouse, that's hilarious! 
  • Now... I know the correct lyric... but karaoke is MUCH more fun when its "Take me baby, from behind"

(ICYDK: Britney Spears, "hit me baby, one more time")
  • Seeing all the "lonely Starbucks lovers" posts on here, I thought y'all might like to see that Tay-Tay herself is in on the joke... and Starbucks tweeted back to her: