Alternatives To Spanx

I have tried a few times to wear spanx and have found them to be so unbelievably uncomfortable, I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Are there comfortable shapewear alternatives for the Curvy girl....need something for a jersey knit wrap dress!

HELP!!

Comments

• Personally I find an old-school open-bottomed girdle comfier than spanx.
  • Thank You!! I don't know if I have ever tried one of those...

• @foodycatalicia thanks for this!  I had thought about it vs my Spanxx (which I'm ok with) but they have a freaking seam right down the middle front and back and in some dresses it shows! I've wondered if a girdle would be the better option. Definitely going to try it now. 
  • @foodycatalicia thanks for this!  I had thought about it vs my Spanxx (which I'm ok with) but they have a freaking seam right down the middle front and back and in some dresses it shows! I've wondered if a girdle would be the better option. Definitely going to try it now. 
    The ones that I have do up with a row of hooks and eyes along one side - so you don't get that line. But they only work if you want your tummy squashed in - no good for thighs.
  • @foodycatalicia you have a brand recommendation?  
  • @LACar523 I completely agree about Spanx - I find them horribly uncomfortable.  I recently discovered something called a Torset Top -- basically a shaping camisole with a cutout for your boobs that allows you to wear your own bra underneath.  I find this very handy because 

1) it doesn't roll down, unlike longline panties, and
    2) it doesn't squish down boobs, which is usually not the body part I'm trying to minimize.

I got the very reasonably priced Barely There torset top from Target. It's long enough that it doesn't roll up when I wear it under pants.  If you're wearing it under a dress, you may want the dress version, though.  I found it really comfortable (well, as comfortable as shapewear can be).  And no seams!
  •   I recently discovered something called a Torset Top -- basically a shaping camisole with a cutout for your boobs that allows you to wear your own bra underneath. 

I definitely need to check that out!  I wear a breast prosethesis, so I need bras with a pocket.  And I've never seen shapewear that had that.
  • @lilithcat I can second the torset top.  I'm well endowed and have tried this one as well.  I tend to need coverage from the waist down, so I don't wear mine as often. I have the one from target as well and like it. 
  • Spanx are uncomfortable because they squish your organs, so don't feel like you're crazy for not being able to deal with them.  If I feel the need to control a bit of jiggle, I just wear hose.  But I mostly wear Wolfords, and they're very comfortable.  I even have a pair with a giant run that I wear in the winter under my pjs, they're that comfortable.  The waistband doesn't dig in or anything, and if you really want to avoid lines, they have seamless hose.  They also have a shape-wear line but since regular hose does the job for me, I've never tried it.  
  • Ok, I finally did some research and ordered a Rago girdle.  I positively LOVED it.  And it was longer so it did cover my thighs.
    However, and most unfortunately, it has some lace type details, as well as some of the boning, shows through my clothes. I tried it on with several different dresses and it didn't work =( I'm going to have to go and see if there isn't a smoother version.  

Wished I knew of a place locally that sold this kind of stuff, and I should probably do some Googing becasue I'm sure there is. 
  • I never bought spanx because they were so darn expensive, but I have tried the Target brand. I get the regular camisole type because that bra cut out drive me nuts. I also have a few panty girdles. However since I am a dress gal my all time favorite piece of shapewear is this Control Dress Slip. It's long enough that it doesn't roll up, the bra portion actually holds up the girls, and it smooths all everything so my clothes look better. I buy all my shapewear a size larger. I just want things smoothed out and buying a size larger does that without being painfully constricting.
  • Milaxx said:
    I never bought spanx because they were so darn expensive, but I have tried the Target brand. I get the regular camisole type because that bra cut out drive me nuts. I also have a few panty girdles. However since I am a dress gal my all time favorite piece of shapewear is this Control Dress Slip. It's long enough that it doesn't roll up, the bra portion actually holds up the girls, and it smooths all everything so my clothes look better. I buy all my shapewear a size larger. I just want things smoothed out and buying a size larger does that without being painfully constricting.
    You have the best ideas and advice! That is all.