Lilly P & Target

edited April 2015 in Fashion & Beauty
Are y'all watching this crazy shit?!

Comments

• Everything is sold out. Everything. 
  • thats what I love about the BKs, up to the minute news!
  • In stores were like Black Friday; online wasn't even available from my experience.
  • I didn't even try to go to the store. That's my worst nightmare. Plus, I need plus sizes and they don't want us fatties to breath the rarefied Lilly air in their stores. 
  • Dang!  I had no idea how much people loved Lilly P. I avoid Target during the weekend in general and I'm sure the DC Target probably doesn't even have all of this stuff.  It's not even noon here, how is nothing even available online?  
  • edited April 2015
    I didn't even try to go to the store. That's my worst nightmare. Plus, I need plus sizes and they don't want us fatties to breath the rarefied Lilly air in their stores. 

Yeah, I'd pay reg price for LP, but they don't have my big size either. @lipstickdiva Once the hysteria reached Target's ears (this weekend?), they pulled everythinf offline EXCEPT the plus sized stuff.
  • I am headed to my Target today and we'll see if they have anything.  I have some special Target where no one cares about this shit.  The Missoni line went on clearance, yes clearance ladies.  I got some pieces for 70% off. 
  • I didn't even try to go to the store. That's my worst nightmare. Plus, I need plus sizes and they don't want us fatties to breath the rarefied Lilly air in their stores. 

Yeah, I'd pay reg price for LP, but they don't have my big size either. @lipstickdiva Once the hysteria reached Target's ears (this weekend?), they pulled everythinf offline EXCEPT the plus sized stuff.
    Ohhh. I had no idea.  Thanks for the clarification.  
  • I just saw on Jezebal that stores sold out at 8 AM? And our favorite uncles, TLO's tweet was featured in the article! 

• Ah well. I'll just carry on wearing my Doctor Who t-shirts and try not to be bitter when I see people sporting the dresses I was coveting. 
  • @lipstickdiva  Couldn't agree with TLo more, but it's also kind of the perfect example of the American Consumer in a way.  They have to own some of their ridiculous behavior over this. But, Target fed the beast that is the consumer, and so the cycle goes on.

I wasn't blown away by this line...and the truth is, I have a few real Lilly P dresses I got on clearance at the end of the season....for the same price as the brand new Target ones.  And one is 100% silk. 
  • It would be nice if the LP line had sizes larger than a 12. 
  • I kind of want to go to Target now and see what carnage has been left in the LP wake...
  • @majorbedhead it does (did) have plus sizes, but typical online only. 

• I got lucky! First Target at 8am had only a few items, (the store just didn't get much inventory) second store I made a haul! Not going to keep it all, most of it will be returned but I wanted to get a good look at everything in the comfort of my home :-)

I couldn't find it on their website, but I didn't spend a lot of time looking. It wasn't obvious that it was there. 
  • I got pretty lucky too - while my small town Target only had two racks of clothes, I managed to score four pieces for myself and three for my sis-in-law who tried to go to a bigger Target an hour away only to find a line out the door and no clothes by the time she got in. I was there 10 minutes after Target opened and all the scarves and bags were gone. Apparently people came through and bought everything and told the salespeople they were selling it all on eBay. WTF?!!

Also - why the hell isn't Target restocking this?! Several people asked them that on Twitter, and they responded to everyone with the same line: "Limited collection bullshit bullshit, not restocking." Whoever is in charge of their social media needs a PR lesson in my book but that's another topic.
  • I didn't go to Target until about 10.  By then, there were no racks and only nail polish left.  I'm in Charlotte, so we have many Targets from which to choose.  A guy at the one near uptown said to try the outlying ones for better luck.  Nope.  I wanted the blue shorts, but oh well.
  • Saw last night that the on-line was a nightmare and read that stores had limited inventory. So I didn't even bother. My sister-in-law went this morning when they opened and there was a huge line and barely nothing. Glad I stayed home.
  • Why do they do this? Happens on every collection. The resellers have relatives camped out at every Target who are told "just grab everything". It reminds me of Cabbage Patch Dolls and Tickle Me Elmo and all those toys. You know, if we (collectively) quit buying this stuff at scalper prices online then the resellers would realize it's really just Target clothes after all.

I didn't really like the collection and never realized that Target was hiding the plus size online only so that explains why Target's plus size department is shite.

I couldn't find it on their website, but I didn't spend a lot of time looking. It wasn't obvious that it was there. 
    It's all sold out now, but seriously I clicked "Lily Pulitzer Collection" on the home page, and it was one of the big pictures on the secondary page - "Plus Sizes." It's still there, but don't bother, the scalpers have cleaned it out. How much do they think they're going to sell that stuff for? You get to a certain point and people are like, "Gee, I might as well go to the Lily Pulitzer store and buy the real thing!" It's not like Taylor Swift tickets, where there are only so many in the world, and only so many shows.
  • Thankfully I wasn't chomping at the bit for this. In fact I was having such a good weekend I didn't even check. Sunday morning I saw all the fuss online and on the news, so we stopped by the South Philly store. I don't know if they ever got anything but there was not one single item in the store.

It's all sold out now, but seriously I clicked "Lily Pulitzer Collection" on the home page, and it was one of the big pictures on the secondary page - "Plus Sizes." It's still there, but don't bother, the scalpers have cleaned it out. How much do they think they're going to sell that stuff for? You get to a certain point and people are like, "Gee, I might as well go to the Lily Pulitzer store and buy the real thing!" It's not like Taylor Swift tickets, where there are only so many in the world, and only so many shows.
    Oh, I meant on the regular LP site, not the Target site. And yeah, totally agree with you. I'm not paying inflated prices for Target quality clothing. I just thought the prints were fun and summery, but even $38 was a bit steep for a sundress. At least for my budget. 
  • I hit my local Target early this am. They had only the patio umbrella, two candle holders, two sets of the tall drink glasses, and maybe one other home accessory. Just one little girl's outfit. The employees said it was nuts over the weekend. 
  • I checked eBay shortly after noon on Sunday, and there were already pages and pages of Lilly Pulitzer for Target listings. The same dress would be listed at several different prices. So much work to get multiple listings up so quickly.

People are just nutz.
  • This happened with the Jason Wu line a few years back.  By the time I went all the clothes were sold out so I bought a few purses and then never used them.  They are still sitting on the top shelf of my closet and I have chastised myself ever since for getting caught up in the hysteria.  My suspicion is that the parent line is only willing to let Target sell a certain quantity of clothes/accessories/homewares, which is why there is a limited quantity and no plans to restock.  Target knows that everyone is still going to come to Target to get their TP and Cheerios, so having disappointed customers is not their concern.  And I'm sure the parent line feels like doing a project with Target is basically a giant marketing campaign with the Target clothes as their loss leader.  They create brand identity and desire in customers that would otherwise be unlikely to visit their regular retail outlets.  But if they let Target continue to sell their discount lines, they would dilute their brand too much.  I have to believe that Target has studied this very carefully and there are very confident that this mayhem only works to their advantage fiscally and despite the negative press, PR-wise as well.  There is an old saying "All PR is good PR."  Target execs would much rather have the discussion be about the shortage of LP clothes than the fallout from the credit card hack.  So mission accomplished.  And as for the folks that buy a bunch of stuff just to sell on ebay - well karma is a bitch.  I'm sure many of them  have garages full of "hunches" where they bought stuff and no second grey market emerged.  
  • Well, I took a look at some of the Lilly for Target collection and I came to an important conclusion: I don't like it. Some of the stuff looks too juvenile, and the rest looks too shuffleboard.  Not for me.  I believe I am now a staunch anti-flamingo-printist, and I fully intend to support whichever 2016 presidential candidate takes the toughest stance against flamingo prints.

Ebay was flooded with the stuff this morning, by the way.
  • cocohall said:
    This happened with the Jason Wu line a few years back.  By the time I went all the clothes were sold out so I bought a few purses and then never used them.  They are still sitting on the top shelf of my closet and I have chastised myself ever since for getting caught up in the hysteria.  My suspicion is that the parent line is only willing to let Target sell a certain quantity of clothes/accessories/homewares, which is why there is a limited quantity and no plans to restock.  Target knows that everyone is still going to come to Target to get their TP and Cheerios, so having disappointed customers is not their concern.  And I'm sure the parent line feels like doing a project with Target is basically a giant marketing campaign with the Target clothes as their loss leader.  They create brand identity and desire in customers that would otherwise be unlikely to visit their regular retail outlets.  But if they let Target continue to sell their discount lines, they would dilute their brand too much.  I have to believe that Target has studied this very carefully and there are very confident that this mayhem only works to their advantage fiscally and despite the negative press, PR-wise as well.  There is an old saying "All PR is good PR."  Target execs would much rather have the discussion be about the shortage of LP clothes than the fallout from the credit card hack.  So mission accomplished.  And as for the folks that buy a bunch of stuff just to sell on ebay - well karma is a bitch.  I'm sure many of them  have garages full of "hunches" where they bought stuff and no second grey market emerged.  
    I don't buy it. Target also did this with Missoni. I suspect Target has much more control over what is and isn't made. Probably similar to the deals QVC makes with designers to make things for their specific audience. Notice how when threatened with loosing the plus size dollar, they added plus sizes to the designer collection. Just as QVC requires desuigners to make clothe from 0 - 26, Target could have done so years ago. At this point Target know what to expect from these types of collaborations. If they wanted to they could stagger the rollout of products or place limits on the how much people could buy. They don't. Just like the hysteria of black Friday sales, this is intentional. Target  like the added traffic and free publicity they get from this.
  • I just find it interesting that each store has special signage made up for the Lily P stuff. So if they don't restock, that signage is just a one-off? I would lurve to be the printing company that has Target's signage business.
  • I don't understand what the big fucking deal is. 

Has no one ever heard of Belk? Their entire store looks like this flowery, basic, shit. 

Is a name brand really that big of a deal?