What's for dinner?

Comments

• Last night I made apples n onions - whenever I bake chicken I save the juices and put them in a little tupperware and they separate out into jelly on the bottom and fat on top in the fridge.  To make apples n onions, I slice 4-6 onions and put them in a frying pan with the chicken fat, and caramelize them (smells SO good), and then add 4-6 sliced apples and the chicken jelly and some apple cider vinegar.  Cover, turn down the heat to medium, and stir occasionally until it's all goopy and delicious.

It's a fab side dish, but for dinner tonight I'm taking my last four slices of bread and I've spread them with a thick layer of apples n onions, sprinkled with feta, and they're toasting in the oven right now.  It's insanely yummy!!
  • @carlatheviking apples n onions always makes me think of Little House on the Prairie - (although I think it's Farmer Boy that they are in). But yours with the schmaltz sounds so much nicer! Especially with feta on top! 

I made a sort-of muffaletta to take into the movies last night. And there was popcorn, beer, genuinely horrible white wine and a palate cleansing blueberry cheesecake ice cream. But we got one scoop of ice cream to share between the two of us.
  • Husband has requested beef cheek ragu - so that's in the oven now. If I had a bigger kitchen I would definitely get a slow cooker for this sort of thing!
    LOVE Beef Cheeks.  
    So delicious and a more affordable cut.
  • nolakent said:
    single here, former chef....I wish I would cook for me...sigh
    I'm single, I cook for myself all the time.
    Ditto. 
    I cook for myself on a nightly basis, unless I am out at events or having dinner with friends.
    Being single just means I eat what I want to eat.
    Wed night was Mussels, 
    Thursday night was salmon with hash browned potatoes 
    Tonight will be what I find at the farmers market.
  • Husband has requested beef cheek ragu - so that's in the oven now. If I had a bigger kitchen I would definitely get a slow cooker for this sort of thing!
    LOVE Beef Cheeks.  
    Yes! Pork cheeks too - affordable and don't take 8 hours of cooking.
  • I don't think I have knowingly eaten any sort of cheeks. I have to admit the name creeps me out. It sounds like something a zombie would eat and I just can't get past it. I realize this is immature and I am probably missing out on something wonderful.

Anyway, last night I had leftover rice from the chinese food order and teriyaki pinapple (chicken) meatballs (Aidell's brand; I love these). Quick, easy and delicious.
  • @carlatheviking apples n onions always makes me think of Little House on the Prairie - (although I think it's Farmer Boy that they are in). But yours with the schmaltz sounds so much nicer! Especially with feta on top! 

I made a sort-of muffaletta to take into the movies last night. And there was popcorn, beer, genuinely horrible white wine and a palate cleansing blueberry cheesecake ice cream. But we got one scoop of ice cream to share between the two of us.
    They are in Farmer Boy!  I was trying to teach myself *American* recipes and that's the one that stuck.  I think I'll have to try @Stephie1020's meatloaf at some point though (not when it's so hot!!) because it sounds very good and I can't think of anything more American than meatloaf.  (Since I don't eat apple pie...or any pie.)

They are in Farmer Boy!  I was trying to teach myself *American* recipes and that's the one that stuck.  I think I'll have to try @Stephie1020's meatloaf at some point though (not when it's so hot!!) because it sounds very good and I can't think of anything more American than meatloaf.  (Since I don't eat apple pie...or any pie.)
    I do that too! I see so much "American" food that I've never experienced. I made strawberry shortcake a few weeks ago just to see what the fuss was about (either I did something wrong or... I don't know what the fuss is about!)
  • Strawberry shortcake is highly overrated @foodycatAlicia. I started making the smitten kitchen strawberry cake recipe and it meets all my strawberry and cake needs. I recommend it!

http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2011/05/strawberry-summer-cake/
  • That looks much more my cup of tea, @KarenFK! Thanks!
  • @foodycatAlicia, When I make it (I actually make it at 1 and 1/2 times the recipe because I make it in a 9x13" lasagne pan), it is usually gone within 24 hours. Very popular around my house.
  • Do you have a good recipe? To me it just tasted like a big scone with strawberries and cream.
  • Molasses cookies are still my favorite "American" thing.  I don't dare make them because I sit there and cram them all into my mouth!!
  • @foodycatAlicia ;  Biscuit crusts are traditional – but a lot of Americans outside the South use regular cake, just whatever is our favorite plain cake, and ladle strawberries over slices of that and top with sweetened whipped cream.  It's still called strawberry shortcake.

I prefer mashing up most of the berries after they've macerated in sugar (vanilla sugar is good), to make them a sort of sauce.  But my favorite thing about strawberry shortcake is that it's an excuse to eat lots and lots of whipped creammmm.....mmm.

@KarenFK ; That SK recipe looks delicious!

• The strawberries and cream were good, I think plain cake would've been better.
  • I have to have strawberry shortcake once or twice a year when the fresh strawberries appear.  I make it with the prepackaged cakes that you can get in the produce section, because that's how my mom made it!  Takes me right back to my childhood. 

This has not been a good week for cooking at my house.  I had a bad cold over the weekend and never made it to the grocery.  I hope to do better next week!

• edited April 2016
    @foodycatAlicia, what other "American" things are you curious about?

And, what ingredients do you have trouble finding...things that we take for granted?  I'm always fascinated by the Indian ingredients you use that I would have to schlep across the city for...very few (tiny) Indian markets here, and they're so expensive!
  • @WinterWhite, we have the best Indian markets here (in Berkeley). If you ever want anything you can't find just let me know. My husband haunts them. He just loves cooking Indian food. In fact our first date ended up involving cooking an Indian curry/stew together (the movie we were planning to see was sold out so we ended up cooking dinner instead).
  • @foodycatAlicia, what other "American" things are you curious about?

And, what ingredients do you have trouble finding...things that we take for granted?  I'm always fascinated by the Indian ingredients you use that I would have to schlep across the city for...very few (tiny) Indian markets here, and they're so expensive!
    What a great question!

Philly cheesesteaks, cornbread, pumpkin pie - the things where you follow recipes and think "is this right?". As for ingredients, some of the cheeses (pepper jack, smoked provolone) that turn up in recipes are the main things. A lot of the other ingredients are things like pistachio pudding which sound delicious but processed to a degree that I can't bring myself to eat even if I could find them!
  • @foodycatAlicia, Philly cheesesteaks are awesome. There is a cheesesteak place across the street from my office and my kids are always begging me to bring them home for dinner (and I do, sometimes). Alrhough I have never eaten one actually in Philly!

I love cornbread and it is super easy, but my kids are indifferent to it so I rarely make it. I have a couple of go to recipies for when I do though. One is plain and the other fancy (with corn, cheese, jalapenos).

I have never made anything with pistachio pudding (I am a nut hater), but I've never even heard of it.
  • We are having burritos tonight. My husband comes home tomorrow, so it's our last hurrah for take out food.

I did pick up a pork loin so I can actually cook once the spouse returns.
    LOVE Beef Cheeks.  

Anyone watch Below Deck on Bravo? there was an (infamous) chef that kept making them...very funny :)
  • KarenFK said:
    @WinterWhite, we have the best Indian markets here (in Berkeley). If you ever want anything you can't find just let me know. My husband haunts them. He just loves cooking Indian food. In fact our first date ended up involving cooking an Indian curry/stew together (the movie we were planning to see was sold out so we ended up cooking dinner instead).
    That sounds like a great first date! I still remember the first meal I cooked for husbeast (spaghetti with tuna, garlic, lemon, capers and parsley) but it was a couple of weeks after the first date (which was a Stereolab concert. I was working in a mall and got the guy in the record store to give me a crash course in their music beforehand).
  • KarenFK said:
    @WinterWhite, we have the best Indian markets here (in Berkeley). If you ever want anything you can't find just let me know. My husband haunts them. He just loves cooking Indian food. In fact our first date ended up involving cooking an Indian curry/stew together (the movie we were planning to see was sold out so we ended up cooking dinner instead).
    @KarenFK ;  What a romantic first date!  Rrrowl.  And then, purrr.... ;)   That’s a fantasy of mine:  my husband cooking with me.  Or, even better – FOR me.  (Aww, I don’t mean to complain; he’s so lovely.  But really just has zero interest in cooking, so I don't press the matter.)

Thank you for that kind offer!  We live in the suburbs, so it’s really just the trek – laziness – that stops me more than anything.  But I’ll keep that in mind; and I really appreciate it! <3

Right now I’m obsessed with Korean food, and the Middle Eastern spice blend Za’atar – Blue Apron has hooked me on those flavors.  Have ordered a couple of things from Amazon.

• edited April 2016
    @foodycatAlicia, what other "American" things are you curious about?

What a great question!

Philly cheesesteaks, cornbread, pumpkin pie - the things where you follow recipes and think "is this right?". As for ingredients, some of the cheeses (pepper jack, smoked provolone) that turn up in recipes are the main things. A lot of the other ingredients are things like pistachio pudding which sound delicious but processed to a degree that I can't bring myself to eat even if I could find them!
    Wow, so interesting, @foodycatAlicia – and I would never have imagined any of those things as your answer! :)   My husband had to go to Philadelphia just last week, and the first thing I said was, “Bring me back a Philly Cheesesteak!  I’ve always wanted to try one.”  (He wasn’t able to, dammit...  And those li'l hotel soaps he DID bring me tasted exactly like the ones from every other city!  *rimshot*)

For cornbread, especially – there are SO many different takes on cornbread that, as long as you can find cornmeal, I don’t think it’s possible to get it “wrong.”  Not just flavor (sweet or savory or spicy; and such a wide variety of add-in options) but also texture.  I love it really gritty; some recipes call for such a high proportion of white flour that it puffs and is airy/cake-like.

By pistachio pudding, do you mean a dry instant mix that comes in a little box?  Alton Brown has translated Jell-O instant chocolate pudding mix into real ingredients:
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/chocolate-pudding-recipe.html?vty=recipes/alton-brown/instant-chocolate-pudding-mix-recipe.html

I understand, lol – that’s a far way to go… But if there’s some recipe you’re keen to try that includes pistachio pudding mix, Alton’s deconstruction could help you figure out a substitute with pistachios that you’d put in a food processor instead of the cocoa powder, a drop of food coloring to bring the alluring color, etc.  Just thought I’d mention it, in case it might be a fun experiment for a food blogger! :)

• I have two cornbread recipes I LOVE - one is for muffins (I may or may not have been guilty of eating 6 or 7 in a single day!!) and one is for a loaf, if y'all want either just let me know and I'll post them.
  • I do make cornbread quite often but it's hard to know if it is authentic! It's got yoghurt in it...

Yes, I meant like a jell-o instant pudding thing. We have a thing called Angel Delight which I think is similar, but it only comes in strawberry, butterscotch and chocolate. That mix will definitely help me translate it to pistachio! Thank you!

Coconut is the other American ingredient that's a problem. I buy Angel Flake from Amazon, because you don't get the moist, sweetened coconut here (or in Australia) and for baking regular desiccated throws off the liquid ratios.
  • I've had a philly cheesesteak in Philly! It was delicious! 

The cheat on Philly Cheesesteaks at home are Steak Ums from the freezer section. My family was obsessed with them when I was in high school. Its just the frozen thin sliced meat and then you can prepare them with whatever you want. 
  • We barbecued brisket yesterday and have loads over, which I am turning into a sort of a beef stroganoff.
  • I am being Very Bad Indeed and going to the grocery store in a bit instead of tomorrow morning so I can braai this evening.  Om nom nom will be glorious!