What's for dinner?

Comments

• I did something last night that I haven't done in probably twenty years... I made chicken and dumplings the way my grandmother did all those decades ago. 

Plopped a whole chicken into broth to barely cover it, added carrot, celery, onion chunks, seasonings and brought to a boil then simmered for 60 minutes. Took it off the heat for a bit to cool down, removed the chicken meat from the carcass and set aside, returned the bones to the pot and gently boiled for 30 minutes to reduce and intensify the flavor of the broth, then strained the solids through a colander and strained the broth a second time to clarify it. Added a new batch of chopped carrots, celery, and onion and seasonings to the broth, a bit more low sodium chicken broth and cooked the vegetables til near tender. Added the chicken chunks and added the dumplings.  I cheated on the dumpling mix... I used Bisquick, 10 minutes uncovered, then 10 minutes covered. 

Absolutely scrumptious. And a trip down nostalgia lane. Definitely worth the three hours or more it took to make.
  • @Anniebets just reading that is making me hungry! It sounds fabulous!

BOOM.  Sent my dad this pic, so proud of it!
  • @foodycatAlicia inspired me so I have cornbread muffins in the oven right now.  Om nom nom!
  • I think we're barbecuing pork this evening - I might have to make some cornbread to go with it!

@Anniebets that sounds so good!
  • I'm making taco salad.  I can't remember who mentioned it up-thread but, I've had it on my mind ever since! 
  • We ate way too much meat over the weekend, so tonight it's going to be mostly greens with a little smoked salmon.
  • edited May 2016
    I have a work dinner tonight at this lovely restaurant.  You'll notice there's no menu because it changes due to what's in season. The best part is, one of my colleagues is friend's with the chef and he's always sending out treats. Really looking forward to this evening. 

www.thepassion8.com/
  • Steamed rice and asparagus.

Leftover t-bone (reheated in the oven, of course!), peas sauteed with onions in beer, and mashed potatoes made with leftover bacon-wrapped jalapeno drippings instead of butter.  Yum!
  • I'm having @stephie1020's beloved meatloaf that I froze last month with sauteed mushrooms and brocoli with a cheese sauce.  
  • I have two cornbread recipes I LOVE - one is for muffins (I may or may not have been guilty of eating 6 or 7 in a single day!!) and one is for a loaf, if y'all want either just let me know and I'll post them.
    *raises hand* muffins please? I'm not traditionally a big cornbread person but cornbread muffins sound quite yummy.
  • Cornbread Muffins

By Jennifer Segal

Servings: 12 muffins

Total Time: 30 Minutes

Ingredients

• 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
    • 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour,
      spooned into measuring cup and leveled-off
    • 1 tablespoon baking powder
    • 1/2 cup sugar
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 2 large eggs
    • 2 tablespoons honey
    • 3/4 cup milk (preferably
      whole but low-fat works too)
    • 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted
      butter, melted and cooled

Instructions

1. Preheat the oven to 350
      degrees. Line a muffin pan with paper liners or spray with non-stick
      cooking spray. (I prefer to use non-stick cooking spray so the muffins get
      nice and crisp on the edges.)
    2. In a large bowl, whisk
      together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
    3. In a separate bowl, break up
      the eggs with a whisk. Whisk in the honey and then the milk. Add the milk
      mixture and melted butter to the dry ingredients. Stir until just blended.
      Do not overmix; it's okay if there are a few lumps. Spoon the batter
      evenly into the prepared muffin pan, filling each cup almost full. Bake
      for 17-20 minutes, or until the tops are set and golden. Cool the muffins
      for a few minutes in the pan, then serve warm.
    4. Note: Cornbread muffins taste
      best when served right out of the oven. To reheat leftovers, wrap muffins
      in aluminum foil and place in a preheated 350-degree oven until hot.
      Alternatively, heat muffins in the microwave at 50 percent power for 30-45
      seconds, or until just hot; do not overheat or muffins will get tough.

• I eat these like they're candy, so I only make them a couple times a year!
  • OH and eating them warm = they're fab.  Eating them cold...meh.  Just warning y'all!
  • I made a really yummy super-healthy stir fry tonight with leftover pork tenderloin and lots of fresh veggies.
  • nolakent said:
    I made a really yummy super-healthy stir fry tonight with leftover pork tenderloin and lots of fresh veggies.

My brother made a zucchini and chicken stir-fry which was super tasty.
  • Earlier this week, I made the best quesadillas this week with leftover chicken and some spinach and mushrooms sautéed with garlic.  I put out all the fixings, and my husband customized his with buffalo sauce and pickled jalapenos, and my stepson omitted the veggies.   

• Cheeseburgers on the grill.  And steak fries.  Because 'MERICA. 
  • Yesterday afternoon I took Logan on a pup crawl (bar crawl with pups, was a fundraiser for the SPCA), ran into a couple of guys I barely know, ended up eating shrimp and grits with them (and drinking lots of wine) in their beautiful home a block away. It was a fun, delicious, spontaneous evening.
  • Pup crawl! What an amazing idea!

I've got some leftover brisket from last night, so I think I will make a Thai-ish beef salad.
  • edited May 2016
    I've got some leftover brisket from last night, so I think I will make a Thai-ish beef salad.
    @foodycatAlicia ;  As in...Larb?  Do you have a specific recipe, or do you just wing it?

Have never tried making it myself.  A Thai place near us has a really good version, but I have trouble with their spice levels!  If I order it at Level 3:  When I put a bite in my mouth it tastes delicious – complex and rich – at first.  Then the heat registers, and I think, "Ow.  OWW!  Oh my god, make it stop!  Why am I eating this?"   But after I swallow there's this light, fresh aftertaste, mmm…and I eagerly fork up another bite.  With every bite I go through that whole cycle.

But once I tried Level 2, and it tasted like...a minty, limey, cold, crumbled-up hamburger. :D

• @WinterWhite it's more like yam nua than larb - no toasted rice, and sliced meat not minced. But I mostly wing it - dressing of lime juice, fish sauce, sliced chillies and a bit of sugar to balance, then I marinade the cold, sliced meat in it with some sliced shallots. Chilli levels are hard! You should ask them if they can do you a level 2 1/2!
  • Chilli levels are hard! You should ask them if they can do you a level 2 1/2!
    Lol!  I try so hard not to be the high-maintenance type of customer – but that really does sound like the only possible answer to my problem. :D

Anyway, your dinner sounds delicious!
  • It was! Half way through making it I realised I didn't have any of the herbs I thought I had, but it was fine anyway!
  • edited May 2016
    I watched The Hundred Foot Journey last night and have had a craving for Indian food all day. But our favorite Indian restaurant closed last year and we haven't found a new one that we like. <sigh>

ETA: We ended up going out for Thai food. Different style of cooking and different use of curry than Indian, but it was so good.
  • The fish monger had fresh Mackeral so I had it as sashimi with sliced avocado.  
    Made a quick sauce of rice vinegar and coconut aminos (think of it as the paleo version of soy sauce) and it was delish.

Also fresh dug Ipswich steamers so I've been on a steamers kick lately. Sweet and delicious.

PS the Ciaran is SO Happy with Momma's dinner choices.

• @firebirdsinger  So much better, thank you for asking. He is now getting some plain pumpkin puree for extra fiber.
    It took about a week to get his digestive system back on track, and I'm sure he was wondering I was with him every time he went into the litter box.  The looks. "Ma.. Can I PLEASE have some privacy." were hysterical.  
  • edited May 2016
    imageI made turkey, and cheese, enchiladas with refried beans and salad as sides.  Leftovers for days.  I'll make Spanish rice on a leftover day. Tasted good, Daniel is lovely dinner company.
  • Went to a completely bonkers blogger dinner last night - ended up being an intimate little affair of 3 bloggers and 3 PRs, but the restaurant was in full party mode (someone was having a 40th in one corner and somehow everyone got involved). SO much fun. And the food was good. Hope no one was trying to have a first date because it really was not the place.