What's for dinner?

Comments

• I feasted on festival food yesterday, so I'm cooking spinach-kale soup now so I'll have dinner without guilt tonight. I think it's going to taste terrific, actually, and I'll probably make a little chickpea side (with fresh parsley, tahini, and EVOO) to top the soup.
  • nolakent said:
    I feasted on festival food yesterday, so I'm cooking spinach-kale soup now so I'll have dinner without guilt tonight. I think it's going to taste terrific, actually, and I'll probably make a little chickpea side (with fresh parsley, tahini, and EVOO) to top the soup.
    That sounds fantastic!

We barbecued ribs. For a first attempt, they were very good!
  • Fought out of my funk and made progress on actually using my CSA by making a bunch of garlicky bok choy and some chili/soy/sesame oil quick baked salmon that came out surprisingly well considering I didn't defrost the fish first. An Epicurious article had me sure it was going to be a limp, soggy, mess but the flesh was firm; maybe just good quality from my co-op?

Definitely better than my usual Sunday night dinner of handfuls of whatever snack food is in the house.
  • edited May 2016
    Had chicken tikka masala meatballs tonight for dinner, over rice. It was soooo good. We would have eaten twice as much sauce. The ground chicken was so tender in the meatballs. I've made turkey meatballs and burgers many times, but never chicken. The mild flavor was perfect for the spices, turkey has a more pronounced flavor, so I think the chicken is best here.

Recipe link: http://www.thefoodcharlatan.com/2014/09/20/chicken-tikka-masala-meatballs-recipe/

Substituted some tomato paste and diced canned plain tomatoes for the tomato sauce.
    Used sour cream as I was out of plain yogurt, and half and half instead of heavy cream. All worked just fine. And I always cut back on the salt.

@Zoeg Just read your post of a few days ago. You might like this dish. I rarely make Indian food at home, but this is a winner, and easy to adjust the spice and heat levels to your own liking. I'm a wimp so would add less cayenne next time, and I only used one Serrano pepper (divided between the meat and the sauce) instead of two jalapeños.
  • @Qitkat, that looks amazing!   Did you use ground chicken breast or dark meat chicken?
  • @Qitkat ; That sounds delicious! While meatballs would never have occurred to me when thinking of Indian food, now that I've heard it I think it's genius. I also rarely make Indian food at home, mostly because we've always had a good Indian restaurant nearby, but now that we don't I'm definitely going to try this recipe. Thanks!
  • Blue Apron had a delicious recipe using chicken meatballs. I highly recommend it. 

www.blueapron.com/recipes/chicken-tsukune-spring-ramen
  • That looks good too @TravelingDesign! And that recipe link @Qitkat gave also had some other meatball recipes that looked very tempting. Maybe we need a thread just for meatballs...
  • Scout said:
    @Qitkat, that looks amazing!   Did you use ground chicken breast or dark meat chicken?

I had a feeling someone might ask me this, and I threw away the package before checking. It was an organic variety, and they were so moist that I'm inclined to think it was partially dark meat, although the uncooked color looked fairly pale.
  • I tried out a new recipe tonight that I have been wanting to make for a while now.  I just never had all the ingredients.  

Chinese Green Beans with Ground Turkey

I loved it!  It will now have a regular part of my cooking rotation.  
  • Fettuccini Alfredo with ham and broccoli. The broccoli sort of fell apart which tricked the kid who claims tomhate broccoli in to eating a whole bunch. It was delicious although it created more dirty pots and pans than I would have liked.
  • Had Butter Chicken last night... pretty darned yummy and my first time making it. It was one of my Home Chef meals, very easy to prepare - everything was provided except olive oil, and salt and pepper. I did substitute chicken breast for the thighs that came in the box, because I really don't like cutting up chicken thighs. They're just not as easy as breast meat to handle. I was quite sparing with the jalapeno pepper for the sauce as well, since The Hubby is spice-a-phobic.

I'll use the whole thighs later on in another meal. It's good that Home Chef's proteins can be frozen after you receive the box.
  • edited May 2016
    I've put my Hello Fresh and Blue Apron on hold for a while. Wish they had a button for "vacation hold" that could be open-ended. We're going on vacation in June, and it's annoying to have to make sure week by week to opt out.

Anyway, made Alton Brown's Chicken Kiev last night. It turned out really tender, though I baked it instead of fried so had to guess at the timing. But I sure do need to work on my technique for pounding chicken! I am no good at it, one piece was literally shredded. But chilling (after rolling up with the butter) for more than two hours really does firm up the meat, and is highly recommended for dishes like this.
  • We've just put a pork butt in the Weber. It's not yet noon. We aim to eat at 7.30.
  • @Qitcat. I often cut chicken breasts in half lengthwise most of the way through and open them like books to make them thinner as an alternative to pounding, because I also tend to pound them to pieces (getting out aggression, perhaps? Lol).

Tonight I had a nice big healthy salad, which was a wonderful break from all the yummy-but-rich food I gorged on all weekend (cheese plates, deep dish pizza, meatballs, Ghiradelli chocolates, big breakfasts, etc).
  • nolakent said:
    @Qitcat. I often cut chicken breasts in half lengthwise most of the way through and open them like books to make them thinner as an alternative to pounding, because I also tend to pound them to pieces (getting out aggression, perhaps? Lol)..

I will definitely try that next time. Afterwards I watched a video on how to do it, supposed to put the skin side up and sprinkle it with water, also a suggestion of cutting open a large ziplock bag for the pounding, but most of all be gentle, start with the thickest part and work outwards. Slicing open sounds easier! Funny thing is the piece that was most badly mangled actually kept the butter in just fine. As I said the best tip was to thoroughly chill the stuffed breast before breading and baking.
  • We've just put a pork butt in the Weber. It's not yet noon. We aim to eat at 7.30.

How did it turn out? We've never tried anything like that.
  • Qitkat said:
    We've just put a pork butt in the Weber. It's not yet noon. We aim to eat at 7.30.

Amazing. Perfect pulled pork.
  • Qitkat said:
    We've just put a pork butt in the Weber. It's not yet noon. We aim to eat at 7.30.

Amazing. Perfect pulled pork.
    We've done this in both the oven and on the grill, and it's wonderful.  Bought pork butt on sale at Aldi a couple weeks ago in anticipation of making some for July 4th.  Can't wait.
  • so wish I could have a grill....(no flames, HOA rule) and on a very exposed corner = theft.... :(
  • @firebirdsinger That's a double win; burgers taste best (1) when grilled, and (2) when someone else cooks them!
  • We went to a favourite restaurant last night - haven't been there in ages and it's still good. We each had a grilled scallop, with pea puree and black pudding (a very British combination - really good) to start and then shared a grilled rump of beef, with big fat chips and bearnaise, and some buttered greens. So delicious!
  • Qitkat said:
    Had chicken tikka masala meatballs tonight for dinner, over rice. It was soooo good. We would have eaten twice as much sauce. The ground chicken was so tender in the meatballs. I've made turkey meatballs and burgers many times, but never chicken. The mild flavor was perfect for the spices, turkey has a more pronounced flavor, so I think the chicken is best here. Recipe link: http://www.thefoodcharlatan.com/2014/09/20/chicken-tikka-masala-meatballs-recipe/ Substituted some tomato paste and diced canned plain tomatoes for the tomato sauce. Used sour cream as I was out of plain yogurt, and half and half instead of heavy cream. All worked just fine. And I always cut back on the salt. @Zoeg Just read your post of a few days ago. You might like this dish. I rarely make Indian food at home, but this is a winner, and easy to adjust the spice and heat levels to your own liking. I'm a wimp so would add less cayenne next time, and I only used one Serrano pepper (divided between the meat and the sauce) instead of two jalapeños.
    @Qitkat ; We had this last night and it was delicious! You were right about the sauce...Mr Z actually licked the plate clean, lol.

Like you, I tweaked the recipe: I used canned crushed tomatoes instead of tomato sauce, sour cream instead of yogurt, milk instead of cream and I cut the salt back by half. I used the full amount of cayenne and jalapenos, but replaced the cilantro (which I hate) with parsley. Even with all the tweaks it came out great!
  • Zoeg said:
    Qitkat said:
    Had chicken tikka masala meatballs tonight for dinner, over rice. It was soooo good. We would have eaten twice as much sauce. The ground chicken was so tender in the meatballs. I've made turkey meatballs and burgers many times, but never chicken. The mild flavor was perfect for the spices, turkey has a more pronounced flavor, so I think the chicken is best here. Recipe link: http://www.thefoodcharlatan.com/2014/09/20/chicken-tikka-masala-meatballs-recipe/ Substituted some tomato paste and diced canned plain tomatoes for the tomato sauce. Used sour cream as I was out of plain yogurt, and half and half instead of heavy cream. All worked just fine. And I always cut back on the salt. @Zoeg Just read your post of a few days ago. You might like this dish. I rarely make Indian food at home, but this is a winner, and easy to adjust the spice and heat levels to your own liking. I'm a wimp so would add less cayenne next time, and I only used one Serrano pepper (divided between the meat and the sauce) instead of two jalapeños.
    @Qitkat ; We had this last night and it was delicious! You were right about the sauce...Mr Z actually licked the plate clean, lol.

Like you, I tweaked the recipe: I used canned crushed tomatoes instead of tomato sauce, sour cream instead of yogurt, milk instead of cream and I cut the salt back by half. I used the full amount of cayenne and jalapenos, but replaced the cilantro (which I hate) with parsley. Even with all the tweaks it came out great!

I finally looked at the recipe and it looks delicious. I have tomsee if I can convince my husband to make it (he likes making meatballs; I like tomeat them but not to make them).
  • Feeling lazy and unmotivated this evening. Opened my fridge, pulled out a large bottle of diet Dr. Pepper, poured a glass, found the dry roasted peanuts in the cupboard and added a large handful to the Dr. Pepper. Voila! Supper.
  • I saw a can of boiled peanuts at the grocery and was so tempted...

oh the memories!
  • I did a deep dive into the chest freezer and discovered we had another piece of brisket. It's resting now, after a nice slow smoking and it smells SO good.
  • My brother is making pizza on the grill, with chicken he marinated in garlic, lemon, olive oil and basil and grilled and a homemade pesto sauce, and yes the crust will be from scratch.
  • I made this last night- http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2016/05/chicken-gyro-salad/, and it was so good.  I grilled the red onions and also some eggplant slices, and we made them into sandwiches with the pita.  Looking forward to have the leftovers for lunch today. 
  • Scout said:
    I made this last night- http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2016/05/chicken-gyro-salad/, and it was so good.  I grilled the red onions and also some eggplant slices, and we made them into sandwiches with the pita.  Looking forward to have the leftovers for lunch today. 

"A bitter kitten cooked smitten kitchen chicken": say that three times fast! :)