What's for dinner?

Comments

• @scout that salad looks very good! 

I'm making cream cheese and potatoes.  An old family favorite from my Oma that I've been craving for weeks. 

It's really simple to make.  Take softened cream cheese, add milk & chives (sorry, we do this by eye, I have no idea how much) and use a hand mixer to mix until the its got the consistency of dip-we do just a touch more runny. Boil whole potatoes until soft.  Peel skin & dice.  Some of us put butter on our potatoes as well. Dip potatoes into cream cheese and done. 

It is so good.  I've gotten so many of my friends hooked on it. 
  • nolakent said:
    Scout said:
    I made this last night- http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2016/05/chicken-gyro-salad/, and it was so good.  I grilled the red onions and also some eggplant slices, and we made them into sandwiches with the pita.  Looking forward to have the leftovers for lunch today. 

"A bitter kitten cooked smitten kitchen chicken": say that three times fast! :)
    Hahahaha!
  • nolakent said:
    Scout said:
    I made this last night- http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2016/05/chicken-gyro-salad/, and it was so good.  I grilled the red onions and also some eggplant slices, and we made them into sandwiches with the pita.  Looking forward to have the leftovers for lunch today. 

"A bitter kitten cooked smitten kitchen chicken": say that three times fast! :)
    Haha!
  • We grilled some drumsticks and had them with salad. And too much wine for a Thursday night.
  • that horrible feeling when you dump out the cheese sauce and its been in the box so long it has separated into cheese junk and oil :(
  • Really in need of some comfort food so it is Spam eggs and rice tonight.
  • Last night I was in the mood for pasta, so I cooked a teensy bit of linguine and tossed it with a ton of spiraled zucchini, cooked broccoli/carrots, and a yummy pesto that I made with basil, kale, and walnuts (thinned mostly with chicken stock and a tiny drizzle of EVOO).  It was delicious and healthy.
  • I happened by a really good produce stand last weekend, so I've had a lot of fresh produce to use up this week.  Highlights were a spicy eggplant pasta, and a shrimp curry with roasted okra and fresh tomatoes. 

I still have rattlesnake beans left to cook, so I'm thinking I might roast and chicken and some potatoes this weekend to serve with them.  I'm in the mood for comfort food.   

• Not sure why- am on a feta cheese jag.....loving it lately- time to make a feta couscous salad, or quiche or...something.

screw it- will just eat it out of the container like I have been :)
  • Love a bit of feta. We had grilled spatchcock with Greek salad tonight and honestly the feta was the best bit.
  • I made @TravelingDesign 's cream cheese and potatoes, but in true Internet fashion, I changed it up a bit. I added broccoli about 5 minutes before the potatoes were done cooking then artichoke and mozzarella sausage with the cheese sauce. Stirred it all together instead of dipping. Turned out great.
  • Technically dinner tomorrow, but I made sauce for pasta alla genovese today, which was a 10+ hour cooking process on the stove top. I did test it with a little bit of pasta and my goodness, it is the best thing I've ever cooked. I can't wait to have it for dinner tomorrow night.
  • Not sure why- am on a feta cheese jag.....loving it lately- time to make a feta couscous salad, or quiche or...something.

Do you use your culinary expertise much these days?  I'm dying to hear of some fabulous mouth-watering creation that you've made!  :)
  • nolakent said:
    Not sure why- am on a feta cheese jag.....loving it lately- time to make a feta couscous salad, or quiche or...something.

Do you use your culinary expertise much these days?  I'm dying to hear of some fabulous mouth-watering creation that you've made!  :)
    NOTHING.... its hot as hell, and I am (very) single- I hate hate hate cooking for one. Not going to many pot lucks (and seems folks bring store bought stuff so why bother being creative) so...maybe when its cooler the juices will hit. (will cut up some cukes, greek dressing and tomatoes later, thats it)

I can post a recipe (but cut and paste is odd on here)

have they started putting crack in Feta Cheese lately? have been CRAVING it (sitting nibbling on it now...grrrr)
  • edited July 2016
    Several of us on here (including me) are single, but that's no reason to stop cooking! I hate to hear that you've given up on that. Meanwhile, I'm searing tuna and eggplant tonight for myself (plus one leftover meal); its nothing special, but it'll be healthier and tastier cheaper than anything pre made. Heck, I might even light a candle and drink a glass of wine with dinner, because why the hell not?! If you ever decide to start cooking again, I look forward to hearing about whatever you create.
    @ellystar. That sounds amazing!
  • ellystar said:
    Technically dinner tomorrow, but I made sauce for pasta alla genovese today, which was a 10+ hour cooking process on the stove top. I did test it with a little bit of pasta and my goodness, it is the best thing I've ever cooked. I can't wait to have it for dinner tomorrow night.

Wow!
  • well Nolakent I also have some 'stuff' going right now too....(depression, etc)....so in time. (also cooler weather will help)

thanks to a job as a demo, I am a whiz at whipping up recipes (I was a demo chef, the dept heads would give me items (some truly oddball-  dinosaur eggs (aka pluots), etc...)

once had to do a week of (cutesy) valentines day themed stuff (choc stuffed french toast, rose scented rice pudding (it tanked), etc...so on Feb 15th (the day after Valentines Day I did "Broken Date Stew" (for all those bitter single folks....some got the joke and LOVED it...(I had some 'regulars') I would have to post what was up coming for the month...somewhere there are some recipe cards with a few recipes on them (a mushroom marsala comes to mind)
  • @largishbearishAtlish, I had a fantastic watermelon, feta and mint salad recently (at a restaurant). I bet you could do something like that easily and it would be a nice change from eating the feta out of the container (not that there's anything wrong with that if it's making you happy ;-))
  • KarenFK said:
    @largishbearishAtlish, I had a fantastic watermelon, feta and mint salad recently (at a restaurant). I bet you could do something like that easily and it would be a nice change from eating the feta out of the container (not that there's anything wrong with that if it's making you happy ;-))
    love it (and very simple to puree watermelon to make (chilled soup) and just sprinkle the feta on it (never been a big mint fan ( I think it takes over the flavor) once had a roommate who would leave choc mint ice cream in the freezer- it was the ONLY safe ice cream! lol
  • @largishbearishAtlish Recipes are welcome, but only if it's something you've just made! :). Even if it's something simple, like the couscous with feta you were thinking about making.
    @KarenFK. I just bought a tiny watermelon; that's a perfect way to use it (was also considering possibility of a watermelon gazpacho).
  • @nolakent well there are recipes from my cookbook (or from my old demo files)
  • edited July 2016
    @nolakent well there are recipes from my cookbook (or from my old demo files)

My point is that I would simply like to hear that you have currently used your culinary skills, especially since that apparently used to be a passion of yours. It's fun, I think, on this topic to see what people cook in real-time, even if it's no more complicated than fixing a salad with homemade vinaigrette. But if you don't want to cook, you don't want to cook. Maybe you'll be motivated to do so in the fall.
  • KarenFK said:
    @largishbearishAtlish, I had a fantastic watermelon, feta and mint salad recently (at a restaurant). I bet you could do something like that easily and it would be a nice change from eating the feta out of the container (not that there's anything wrong with that if it's making you happy ;-))
    Love watermelon, feta and mint - also with black olives in it! Haven't made it in ages! Thanks for the reminder.
  • edited July 2016
    Here is the pasta alla genovese recipe I used. It was enough to make dinner for me and my husband last night, plus 2-3 batches I will freeze tonight. Cutting up six pounds of onions was an ... interesting process. Luckily they didn't sting my eyes too badly, but it helps that I wear contact lenses.

• @ellystar ; that looks terrific; I copied the recipe and will definitely try it at some point!  Incidentally, I LOVE cutting up veggies (weird, right?), so that actually sounds like a process I would love!
  • @ellystar that sounds so so good.  I also added it to my "must make ASAP" list.

@wireknitter  I'm so glad someone decided to try the crazy cream cheese and potatoes.  Your spin sounds pretty good, too!  I'd still recommend giving the classic a go.

Anyone want the family recipe for spam and mac& cheese casserole? ;) We're a weird bunch when it comes to food. 
  • I made a yummy twist on what I made last night. I seared cubed eggplant for a couple of minutes, then added edamame, cooked another 8- 9 minutes, then tossed with minced garlic, a couple of tablespoons of low-sodium soy sauce and a drizzle of sesame oil. I put that aside and seared a piece of tuna (still pink on inside), sliced it, served over the veggie mixture. I enjoyed it with a glass of wine with my furbaby Logan by my side. The meal was delicious and healthy, and I'm treating myself as good as a potential future mate should, because I deserve it! :)
  • I ate so much canned tuna growing up (dad had it down to an art form- dollop of mayo, pickle relish and canned tuna, serve on bread (or oooh, saltines!) that I just. can't. now. sigh...(I know fresh and canned are different but...)

anyone else?
  • My sister-in-law made a beef and barley soup and garlic bread. I suspect some leftover birthday cake and ice cream may fit into the mix.
  • watching a cooking show- someone just made a 'salad' with

feta, cashews and .....dill?

is it me or....not sure on that combo...and sounds more like a snack mix than a "salad" I do like the idea of cashews and feta tho....hmmmm...

oh, served over lamb with grilled grapefruit.... again still liking it all but that dill for some reason....