What's for dinner?

Comments

• nolakent said:
    I made a yummy twist on what I made last night. I seared cubed eggplant for a couple of minutes, then added edamame, cooked another 8- 9 minutes, then tossed with minced garlic, a couple of tablespoons of low-sodium soy sauce and a drizzle of sesame oil. I put that aside and seared a piece of tuna (still pink on inside), sliced it, served over the veggie mixture. I enjoyed it with a glass of wine with my furbaby Logan by my side. The meal was delicious and healthy, and I'm treating myself as good as a potential future mate should, because I deserve it! :)
    I want that!

Husbeast is cooking tonight and we do have an aubergine that wants using... I might put in a request!
  • watching a cooking show- someone just made a 'salad' with

feta, cashews and .....dill?

is it me or....not sure on that combo...and sounds more like a snack mix than a "salad" I do like the idea of cashews and feta tho....hmmmm...

oh, served over lamb with grilled grapefruit.... again still liking it all but that dill for some reason....

Sounds very Iranian. All over the Middle East they refer to things as "salads" which we would probably call dips or condiments, but I particularly associate cashews and dill with Iranian cooking for some (probably inaccurate) reason.
  • edited July 2016
    Last night I made roasted-corn-and-sweet-potato enchiladas; as usual I didn't use a recipe, but they were good.  Bonus:  I made just enough to have a bit of leftovers with my salad for lunch today, as well as 2 meals to freeze (instead of enough to feed the Duggers).
  • @ellystar. I'm in the 8-10-hr simmer phase of your recipe; I look forward to trying it tomorrow!
  • have you tried nutmeg on (canned) beats? simmer them, really changes them up a bit...
  • have you tried nutmeg on (canned) beats? simmer them, really changes them up a bit...

I avoid most canned veggies except for no-salt black beans and chickpeas, but I do add nutmeg when cooking dark leafy greens, will try adding the next time I roast diced beets.
  • @nolakent  How did @ellystar's meat sauce turn out?  My cousin and I have been salivating over it for a week now.  We're on vacation and can't wait to get home and make it! 
  • @nolakent  How did @ellystar's meat sauce turn out?  My cousin and I have been salivating over it for a week now.  We're on vacation and can't wait to get home and make it! 
    It was really delicious.  I have been eating a bit of it, froze the rest for serving to guests later.  That recipe is definitely a keeper!
  • There is no way I am adding any additional heat to our house - so we'll be grilling some sausages and buying salads to go with!
  • don't forget ICE CREAM!
  • don't forget ICE CREAM!
    God I wish. No dessert during the week!
  • strawberries with balsamic reduction? (fresh black pepper optional)
  • I made a rendition of a kale salad from a restaurant I went to Sunday. 
    Kale (massaged down a bit with EVOO), lemon, parmeasean and romano cheese pieces (the TJs mix), quinoa, and a poached egg. It was pretty delish and my poached egg came out perfectly! :) 

@largishbearishAtlish My co-worker and I have also been saying that the feta (from TJs) lately has been particularly delicious. I had a watermelon, arugula, feta salad with an orange/citrus vinaigrette recently and it was awesome. 
  • strawberries with balsamic reduction? (fresh black pepper optional)
    Unnecessary extra calories - we have desserts on weekends or if we are out for something special. It's not a treat if you have it every day!
  • @Leandra ; That sounds delicious.  I love meals like that that are healthy with a touch of decadence (the poached egg, which really elevates the salad to make it special).
  • I made zuchinni noodels with tomatoes, corn, and spicy shrimp with an avocado "creamy" sauce. I blended an avocado, lime, some hot sauce, and a titch of water together and it was really yummy. 
  • Last night's dinner- some German blue cheese, baguette slices, and a handful pickled green beans, followed by an apple for dessert.  Delicious!

• Scout said:

Last night's dinner- some German blue cheese, baguette slices, and a handful pickled green beans, followed by an apple for dessert.  Delicious!

Bread and cheese, when they are good, is one of my favourite meals.
  • Leandra said:
    I made zuchinni noodels with tomatoes, corn, and spicy shrimp with an avocado "creamy" sauce. I blended an avocado, lime, some hot sauce, and a titch of water together and it was really yummy. 
    You've got my mouth watering!  I do that, too, making an avocado sauce, it is yummy!  I also throw blended soaked raw cashews/water into tomato sauce for creaminess.
  • Last night I made panko chicken tenders and sweet potato fries from my Sheet Pan Dinners cookbook, and I roasted some fresh okra to go along with.  I got the okra and the sweet potatoes from my local farm stand, so they were super fresh and delicious. 
  • Weather is lovely, so I've got some cubed lamb leg marinating in preserved lemon and garlic ready to thread onto skewers for the grill. Roast sweet potato, whipped feta and salad with it.
  • nolakent said:
    @nolakent  How did @ellystar's meat sauce turn out?  My cousin and I have been salivating over it for a week now.  We're on vacation and can't wait to get home and make it! 
    It was really delicious.  I have been eating a bit of it, froze the rest for serving to guests later.  That recipe is definitely a keeper!
    I made the recipe again this weekend, portioning out in tupperware containers for several neighbors and taking the rest to a potluck at the corner bar...I am now the rock star of my neighborhood!
  • edited October 2016
    Not dinner, but I just made a yummy version of homemade deviled ham for sandwiches/crackers/lettuce wraps. Recipes abound on the web, but I wanted one that is Whole30/paleo friendly without mayonnaise, as there is a family member who hates it, but it needed some creaminess.

YUMMY PALEO DEVILED HAM SPREAD

~1# (more or less) good quality ham, a cut off the butt 1" thick is probably enough
    1 large dill pickle
    ~quarter cup sliced onion
    ~10 squirts stoneground mustard (abt 2 Tablsp)
    Chop ham in 1" chunks, large dice onion and pickle, throw in food processor with mustard til medium ground.
    Add:
    large pinch each ground turmeric and ground cloves
    1/4 t. tamarind concentrate
    1 T. spicy pickled bean juice
    drizzle EVOO (abt 2 T.)
    2-4 T. cashew cream (easy to make at home- recipe here)
    Process til desired consistency and flavor. Adjust any ingredient to your taste.

Tastes MUCH BETTER than the canned stuff! And makes a lot.
    Added: However, it's a challenge to find ham without nitrites/nitrates. And not overly salty.
  • We're having goat curry.
  • Last night: 

Whole roasted snapper with shallots, garlic, lemon, butter, evoo, italian parsley and thyme. Served with baby lettuces with a simple vinaigrette. Washed down with a Spanish Albarino. 
  • We're having goat curry.
    Yum!!! For awhile there, we were having "curry sundays" and I'd make a different curry each time. Really fun. 
  • maschultz said:
    We're having goat curry.
    Yum!!! For awhile there, we were having "curry sundays" and I'd make a different curry each time. Really fun. 
    That's such a good idea!

My husband's away at the moment, but I have already planned a pork shoulder curry for his homecoming.
  • Getting my week's meals out of the way now.

Got chicken and onion tikka masala simmering away on the stove and a spicy pork butt roast in the oven.  Got to prep some bell pepper and onion for my week's omelets, and then I'll be good til about Thursday :yes:

Ta-da!  Buffalo chicken lasagna!

It's so good.  Like, I made buffalo wings from this same sauce and they were quite spicy.  This wasn't spicy but it does have a tang and lots of flavor.  It cost a lot - about $20 for the ingredients and I'll get 10 meals out of it - and it's got a lot of calories at 550 per serving, but I think it's a good treat meal.  Let's hope it reheats well!
  • Oh wow that looks good!