What's for dinner?

Comments

• Raspberries and brandy ice cream - we had a late, very large Sunday roast in a nice pub, so didn't need more food. But the raspberries were calling!
  • nolakent said:
    Tonight I'll be having a big serving of Hamm. And wine. And tears.
    *sob* End of an era, literally and figuratively. *sigh*
  • Lemongrass and chilli chicken, with some stirfried cabbage and peppers. And we don't usually have dessert during the week but I bought some berries on the weekend which we haven't eaten, so I'm going to make a sort of cobbler topping thing to have on them.
    Every single time you post in one of the food threads, I think, "Damn, I want to eat at Alicia's!" 
    ashtangajunkie!!

• I made pasta salad tonight. The prom was this weekend, and nothing slows down for all the rest of the kids, so I'm exhausted!!

• My husband made nachos. Win.
  • greek yogurt with nutella and raspberries with a side of gluten-free pretzels
  • We're having chicken biryani - it's this recipe which is really different to ones I have made before. I will not be fiddling around with garnishes though.
  • That looks really delicious! Thanks for posting the recipe. We make Indian food a lot, but I've not attempted a biryani yet although I keep meaning to.
  • @ashtangajunkie I have one recipe for a biryani that I love, but it is the most ridiculously involved process! This one is more streamlined. And a tip I picked up from a friend is to layer it in a big pyrex bowl and just microwave it for the final reheat.
  • That's a good tip.
  • I'm doing homemade chicken pot pie.
  • @OffToSeeHim What time is dinner? I looooooove chicken pot pie. :)
  • I'm doing a cottage roll in the crock pot, with mashed potatoes and mixed baby greens on the side.
    @ashtangajunkie, I think you're pretty far away... I could move it back to 7.  

Or, you know, give you a recipe!  :-D
  • Airplane dinner. At least I'm in business class. It's still the "meat or pasta?"...just asked with fancy words. 
  • I think I am picking up one of those already roasted chickens at the market on the way home from work. Bad sign when it's Monday morning and I am already too tired to think about cooking.
  • I am making cheater's Chicken Tikki Masala- I doctor up a jar of tikki masala sauce with some additional garlic, ginger, and a little coconut milk or cream.  It's pretty good for a jarred sauce.  I'm serving it with some Trader Joe's naan bread and roasted okra.   

• The search function on Eat Your Books works like that, although I am not sure how well the free subscription works.
  • Allrecipes has that option, but I'm not always satisfied with the results.  It's the Search by Ingredient option: http://allrecipes.com/search/default.aspx?ms=1&origin=Home Page&rt=r&qt=i
  • Some of y'all are so ambitious and creative. I have dinner envy. This comment probably belongs in grumping out, but I am so over coming up with great ideas for dinner. And even if I do, or use an idea (many of which sound really really delicious) I get here, it is the effort too that is more than I want to put in. I did better when I had 3 growing kids, a job, and was going back to college! After more than 40 years I am just plain burned out on the whole idea, though generally I love good food combinations. It's starting to turn into a real problem, as I buy foods in frozen bags that sound like a good meal, but they never have enough veggies, and I always know I could have made it better and of course, really healthier myself. But I'm so fed up that my husband effing Will.Not.Cook. He is off to the store as I'm pretty burned out about shopping too. If he just had a better attitude, and had learned anything about cooking it wouldn't be so bad. But all this about "cooking with love" is just so much nonsense in my house, it's a real strain on the relationship that has built up over the years. Sorry to sound like I'm hijacking the thread, but how does anyone else handle being so tired of years of cooking dinner? Is anyone else feeling this way? I don't even have the excuse of working and not having enough time. Retirement is too much time sometimes, and I think that is part of the problem.

/Apologies to everyone for sounding off where I probably shouldn't have, I like reading this discussion a lot, it's just all the issues it brings up with me/
  • @firebirdsinger Were you thinking of MyFridgeFood?

@Qitkat I'm not 40 years in yet, but I definitely go through phases where I am too burnt out on shopping/meal planning/cooking to be bothered. A month of eating box salads and uninspired pork roasts is usually enough to get me back on track, but it's hard. I'm cooking for 6 people every day, one of whom has very strict dietary restrictions, on a tight budget. It wears me out. My husband isn't adverse to cooking, but his commute is so long it's not a practical solution.

If it's any consolation, I find the people who really thrill at cooking are the ones who are already inclined to pursue it as a hobby, and who have the time and the money to make it interesting.
  • @Qitkat it's not something I am dealing with, but I see it in my mother in law! My husband talks about what a great cook she was when he was growing up, but it wasn't something she really loved. Once the boys were all out of home she reduced the amount of cooking she did a lot, and since she was widowed she basically lives off rotisserie chickens and tubs of salad and is very happy about it!

Anyway, I think cooking is overrated unless you actually feel inspired to do it!
  • @Qitkat ; I'm in the same boat as you. It does seem that I get less accomplished now that I'm retired. After so many years of continually doing things because I had to, I'm now in a mindset where I want to suit myself. And tackling time-consuming recipes is not one of those things. I'm a little luckier because my husband would be willing to cook, but I'm a picky eater and his attempts are unappetizing, at least to me. We do try to eat healthier since my husband's heart attack so on those occasions when I'm in a cooking mood I cook heart-healthy versions of things that can be done in large batches and frozen. And I find throwing together a salad is easy enough; toss in some lean protein and toast some french bread. We fill in with take-out (chinese, pizza, japanese, indian). The take-out makes it tricky but we try to make them as healthy as possible, like veggie only pizza or the chinese dishes that are mostly veggies.

Set out a plate for me too. Mmmmmm pot pies
  • Qitkat said:
    Some of y'all are so ambitious and creative. I have dinner envy. This comment probably belongs in grumping out, but I am so over coming up with great ideas for dinner. And even if I do, or use an idea (many of which sound really really delicious) I get here, it is the effort too that is more than I want to put in. I did better when I had 3 growing kids, a job, and was going back to college! After more than 40 years I am just plain burned out on the whole idea, though generally I love good food combinations. It's starting to turn into a real problem, as I buy foods in frozen bags that sound like a good meal, but they never have enough veggies, and I always know I could have made it better and of course, really healthier myself. But I'm so fed up that my husband effing Will.Not.Cook. He is off to the store as I'm pretty burned out about shopping too. If he just had a better attitude, and had learned anything about cooking it wouldn't be so bad. But all this about "cooking with love" is just so much nonsense in my house, it's a real strain on the relationship that has built up over the years. Sorry to sound like I'm hijacking the thread, but how does anyone else handle being so tired of years of cooking dinner? Is anyone else feeling this way? I don't even have the excuse of working and not having enough time. Retirement is too much time sometimes, and I think that is part of the problem.

/Apologies to everyone for sounding off where I probably shouldn't have, I like reading this discussion a lot, it's just all the issues it brings up with me/
    Dinner literally takes me by surprise every day at 3:00. Every day, some time around then, I pick my head up like a gopher and go, "Shit! It's 3:00 and I didn't take anything out!" 

I'm sick of making dinner, I have no meal planning skills, and I've made everything a million times.

I personally think there's a lot of "this isn't homemade" baggage in my head. Because in my family nobody cares. They don't care if we go out, they don't care if we order in, they don't care if it's healthy (except for the vegetarian.) So I have to turn down the voices in my head. Food out of a frozen bag never killed anybody, and whoever wants more vegetables can go ahead and cook them in my house.

I don't know about the husband thing, but in my experience, it's never about the cooking. Is he just a generally selfish guy? Is he an asshat when the food isn't healthy enough or what he wants? Did he just retire and now wants to sit around on his ass telling you what to do? Because if he's a great guy who just doesn't care about cooking... count your blessings and move on, I say.  :-D
  • edited June 2015

I personally think there's a lot of "this isn't homemade" baggage in my head. Because in my family nobody cares. They don't care if we go out, they don't care if we order in, they don't care if it's healthy (except for the vegetarian.) So I have to turn down the voices in my head. Food out of a frozen bag never killed anybody, and whoever wants more vegetables can go ahead and cook them in my house.

I get this too @OffToSeeHim -- the voices in my head that I am a terrible mother/wife/whatever because I hate dealing with dinner and often rely on premade stuff. Because of our schedules we can't all eat together and, if I didn't have to feed other people, I would eat fruit and cheese most nights. So, last week, I threw in the towel on Tuesday (I usually don't do this until Friday at least) and ordered pizza. I said to my almost 15 year old son: I am so sorry, but I just can't deal with figuring out what to cook and then cooking it today. And he said: Mom, I love pizza. Why would you think you need to apologize to me about this? I think you're a great mom!  And then he gave me a hug. So there you go.

My husband used to deal with meals on the weekends and I would rely on leftovers from that for the week (he isn't home until 9pm most week nights), but lately he's been too fried for that. He is into cooking, and if he were home during the week, I'd be able to get away with having him deal with it!
  • KarenFK said:
    I get this too @OffToSeeHim -- the voices in my head that I am a terrible mother/wife/whatever because I hate dealing with dinner and often rely on premade stuff. Because of our schedules we can't all eat together 
    Don't even get me started on "Family Dinner." Yes, if your family's schedules make it possible, it's great. You're not a bad mother if they don't! 
  • If anyone is interested, I administer a meal planning group on Facebook. I'd be happy to add/invite anyone who's into learning meal planning skills, or just creeping other people's meal plans.

• Spreecord said:
    If anyone is interested, I administer a meal planning group on Facebook. I'd be happy to add/invite anyone who's into learning meal planning skills, or just creeping other people's meal plans.

Is it all like, "Today I'm making couscous meatballs with a side of braised asparagus" because I don't need my self-esteem any lower around this issue.  :-D

• @OffToSeeHim You make me laugh! I don't read most food blogs for that reason. We work and I don't have time for your crispy sage leaves on a Tuesday night.