What's for dinner?

Comments

• Fantasy: diving into a large poutine with extra cheese curds and a chocolate milkshake. 

Reality: leftover Tabbouleh salad and grilled chicken. 
  • @OffToSeeHim
    We're just chatting like magpies around here today, aren't we? For the record, it's really making me feel better :) ♥♥♥

You said: I personally think there's a lot of "this isn't homemade" baggage in my head. Because in my family nobody cares. They don't care if we go out, they don't care if we order in, they don't care if it's healthy (except for the vegetarian.) So I have to turn down the voices in my head. Food out of a frozen bag never killed anybody, and whoever wants more vegetables can go ahead and cook them in my house.

For a really long time, I sabotaged myself with making so many things from scratch that expectations were raised to a really high bar. But now it's just the two of us, so first I had to quit making enough for six, which is still a challenge, because everything doesn't freeze you know, and anyway my freezer is full of all those plastic dinners now, lol. As far as what he cares about, as long as I don't serve him carrots, asparagus, or cucumber, he will eat anything. But the real deal is just what you said, doesn't care if we eat out, stay in, eat healthy, never chooses the restaurant. "What are you in the mood for tonight, dear?" His standard snarky reply is crown roast. Not only have I never cooked a crown roast, he has never ordered one in a restaurant! If we had no vegetables on the plate for 3 weeks I don't think he would even notice. 

I'm going to take the rest of my reply and send it over to the grumping thread where it better belongs, continuing our conversation there. 

• @firebirdsinger
    One of the best ideas I ever heard was to create a salsa garden (you know, grow everything that goes into a great salsa). Yours sounds a little bit like that. I LOVE homegrown tomatoes beyond almost anything. 
    Want to hear a funny story? My grandmother long ago in Alabama grew some kind of pepper bush. The young grandkids, almost everyone of them, picked a pepper and ate it. She never told them not to, and of course, not one of us, ever tried more than one!
  • The happiest year of my life, food-wise, was  3 or 4 years ago when a friend of mine was underemployed and needed some extra income, so I hired her to cook for us. She came in every two weeks and made something for dinner for us (we are a family of 4). The quantities were generous enough for leftovers. She took everyone's food issues into account. I paid for the groceries and for her time shopping/cooking/cleaning up. Once every two weeks I would come home to a set table and a well rounded meal that would give us enough food to last for dinners and lunches for at least four days. It was the absolute best! (and expensive, obviously, but not as much as you would think, although I am in a lucky position financially as far as this goes).

Fortunately for her, but unfortunately for me, she finally got a job that paid her properly and she didn't have the time to cook for us anymore. But it was the absolute best!

• @KarenFK That sounds wonderful! I wish I could afford to have someone to do that on a regular basis...
  • Seriously, it was awesome. The other year of food based awesomeness was a couple of years ago when we had a pod of food trucks (usually 8-10) that would set up two blocks from our house every Wednesday night. I could give the kids money and send them down there to get whatever they wanted and to bring something back for me (the kids were in high school and middle school at the time). I really miss those food trucks. Sigh.
  • Spreecord said:
    If anyone is interested, I administer a meal planning group on Facebook. I'd be happy to add/invite anyone who's into learning meal planning skills, or just creeping other people's meal plans.

Is it all like, "Today I'm making couscous meatballs with a side of braised asparagus" because I don't need my self-esteem any lower around this issue.  :-D

Some of it is. My best friend posts is all "vegan, cashew cream and green pea soup, with crusty bread and chorizo, quinoa, kale, and caramelized onion stuffed peppers." After work, no less! But cooking is her hobby and she mostly keeps that stuff to her private FB. She's too busy to meal plan. :P
  • Spreecord said:
    Spreecord said:
    If anyone is interested, I administer a meal planning group on Facebook. I'd be happy to add/invite anyone who's into learning meal planning skills, or just creeping other people's meal plans.

Is it all like, "Today I'm making couscous meatballs with a side of braised asparagus" because I don't need my self-esteem any lower around this issue.  :-D

Some of it is. My best friend posts is all "vegan, cashew cream and green pea soup, with crusty bread and chorizo, quinoa, kale, and caramelized onion stuffed peppers." After work, no less! But cooking is her hobby and she mostly keeps that stuff to her private FB. She's too busy to meal plan. :P
    I'd love to join up. Should I PM you my real name? (I feel like we're going steady now!)  :-D
  • KarenFK said:
    Seriously, it was awesome. The other year of food based awesomeness was a couple of years ago when we had a pod of food trucks (usually 8-10) that would set up two blocks from our house every Wednesday night. I could give the kids money and send them down there to get whatever they wanted and to bring something back for me (the kids were in high school and middle school at the time). I really miss those food trucks. Sigh.
    That sounds like my idea of heaven!

After 8 years in this house last weekend we found a good pizza place that delivers. We'll be eating pizza 3 times a week until our pants don't fit.
  • Food trucks are thick on the ground in Hamilton, but I'm cheap and have a hard time convincing myself that a $9 sandwich (that I have to eat standing outside, no less) is a good use of my money.

Comfort food for a horrible day.
  • Burgers. Massive coarse-ground beef burgers, on brioche buns, with onions, smoked cheese and bread & butter pickles.
  • Maine lobsters on sale for $5.99 a pound at Price Chopper. Boil them tonight for dinner and lobster rolls from the leftovers with baked beans and macaroni salad for 4th of July.
  • @conniemd I am so jealous!

We're having burgers again... it's a Friday where it is hot enough to light the Weber, so it's burgers.
  • Lamb burgers. It's too hot to do anything other than barbeque. Tzatziki, goat feta, and roma tomatoes. 
  • Lamb burgers. It's too hot to do anything other than barbeque. Tzatziki, goat feta, and roma tomatoes. 

Mmmmm,yummmmm,mmmmmmm
  • Wait, how do you guys get anyone to barbecue in the heat? My family looks at me like I'm insane if I try to send them out to grill anything. We're using up leftovers into some Thai over rice. If the sauce is colorful enough no one will gripe about not wanting chicken or pork, and protein will be unrecognizable by them. 
  • @GrumpyGirl with difficulty and alcohol!
  • @GrumpyGirl He'll withstand any heat if there is a promise of lamb at the end! Also, bourbon.
  • I bought some peaches at the farmer's market and they smell so good I'm thinking of eating them all in one sitting and then skipping dinner...
  • Wait, how do you guys get anyone to barbecue in the heat? My family looks at me like I'm insane if I try to send them out to grill anything. We're using up leftovers into some Thai over rice. If the sauce is colorful enough no one will gripe about not wanting chicken or pork, and protein will be unrecognizable by them. 
    Need your grill in the shade. Either grill something that you don't have to stand over and watch like chicken, but need to turn occasionally, or something really quick like shrimp.
  • edited July 2015
    sorry, double post.
  • Saddle of lamb here, with potato gratin and something green. It was going to be done in the Weber but the weather has turned to shit, so probably just roasted.
  • Well - we are hot dogged out so tonight it is back to hubby's Louisianian roots - red beans and rice.   
  • Zoeg said:
    I bought some peaches at the farmer's market and they smell so good I'm thinking of eating them all in one sitting and then skipping dinner...
    @Zoeg  Yum! :)
    But why can't I find really delicious peaches anymore?  I've been having bad luck with almost every fruit that requires a few days to ripen on the counter (or in a paper bag!  I even know that trick!).

@ashtangajunkie   In exchange for that meal I would've manned your grill and even cleaned it afterwards.  Just something for you to keep in mind... ;)
  • Have you seen doughnut/Saturn/flat peaches? I think they tend to have the best flavour (but are much more expensive!)
  • @WinterWhite ; I know what you mean. And that paper bag trick never works for me. For the past few years I'd stopped buying peaches for the reason you mention, but when I passed by the aroma drew me in so I took a chance. I've been limiting myself to only 2 per day and today I'm down to the last two. They were as good as I hoped. I think it's because they were picked at the just ripe stage instead of the usual few days ahead.
  • Have you seen doughnut/Saturn/flat peaches? I think they tend to have the best flavour (but are much more expensive!)
    I've seen them but haven't tried them, partly because they're more expensive and partly because the ones I've seen are so small they didn't seem worth it (unless they have a really small pit). I guess I haven't been curious to try...
    I have seen them, but had never even been tempted because they're always off in some god-forsaken corner, just a few, all elderly and tragic-looking!  Thanks for letting me know, because now I can look for them at Whole Foods.  They do well with more exotic or expensive produce... my regular grocery store doesn't know what to do with the stuff they can't sell much of.   
  • If I want a peach to eat out of hand, that's what I will choose. If it's baking I'll get one of the hard ones that ends up woolly! I don't live in a great peach climate.