What's for dinner?

Comments

• Keema mattar tonight. Chapatis have been requested but I can't really be arsed.
    ... got off the hook for chapatis when the cat decided to have a 4-episode-of-Agent-Carter cuddle. So it was rice. And very good too, as the coriander chutney I made for the salad was a lot hotter than I expected.
  • Chapatis just ain't my bag. I love to eat them though. Same thing with dosas. Love them but can never get them right.

We're having our Indian priest over for dinner tonight, so I have egg curry, dal with dudhi, South Indian chicken fry and raita. I might make kheer for desert if I feel ambitious.
  • CHICKEN FRY! Yum!

I make pretty awful chapatis but husbeast likes them, so I persist. Never tried to make dosa.
  • Ima gonna kidnap a talented bitter kitten to come cook me some of these yummy looking meals! We'll discuss a barter :-)

I can cook fairly well myself, but 40+ years of dinners, (I've pretty much trained him to make his own breakfasts and lunches, especially since retirement), I lack the energy, inspiration, and usually the ingredients. Burned out. [drags self to kitchen to see what miracles I can create from a fairly bare pantry]. Last night I came up with a pretty tasty Asian-inspired rice pilaf, but two nights in a row, it's starting to look like scrambled eggs tonight. (Not that there's anything at all wrong with that). Or maybe I can turn the leftovers into a stir-fry. YES, yay me...
  • Qitkat said:
    Ima gonna kidnap a talented bitter kitten to come cook me some of these yummy looking meals! We'll discuss a barter :-)

I can cook fairly well myself, but 40+ years of dinners, (I've pretty much trained him to make his own breakfasts and lunches, especially since retirement), I lack the energy, inspiration, and usually the ingredients. Burned out. [drags self to kitchen to see what miracles I can create from a fairly bare pantry]. Last night I came up with a pretty tasty Asian-inspired rice pilaf, but two nights in a row, it's starting to look like scrambled eggs tonight. (Not that there's anything at all wrong with that). Or maybe I can turn the leftovers into a stir-fry. YES, yay me...

Ooh, I love having breakfast for dinner!
  • I'm planning chicken and eggplant (aubergine) stir fry. Could end up being cheese and tortilla and veggies due to ennui.
  • Just made bacon-wrapped jalapenos.  Ate 8 of them, feeling a little warm, so I'm lying here with a beer.  Luckily, they reheat well.
  • Just made bacon-wrapped jalapenos.  Ate 8 of them, feeling a little warm, so I'm lying here with a beer.  Luckily, they reheat well.

Beer makes everything better.
  • Gemfemme said:
    Just made bacon-wrapped jalapenos.  Ate 8 of them, feeling a little warm, so I'm lying here with a beer.  Luckily, they reheat well.

Beer makes everything better.
    Especially when Spaten Oktoberfest only costs $8.77/six when Shiner Bock costs $9.77/six!!
  • We had steak last night, inspired by @heybethpdx - I had sirloin, he had rump. Both fantastic. Grilled over charcoal, with green garlic, eggplant, zucchini and stuffed mushrooms.

Tonight... no idea. The weather is sucking right now so it might need to be spag bol or something equally comforting.
  • We are having Chinese dumplings as a fun dinner to accompany the Emmys.

I have a recipe for one-pot Lemon Chicken Pasta that I'm looking forward to trying later this week.
  • I made braised basil and eggplant chicken thighs over brown rice. Tasty Asian inspired improv.
  • Sort of caldo verde. But I'm using purple kale and I don't know whether it is going to turn green when it cooks so it might be caldo roxo.
  • My mom's birthday was on Saturday, so breakfast was Caramel Pecan Sticky Buns, dinner was Butternut Squash Lasagna Rolls, and the cake was a carrot cake with cream cheese frosting.

It was a pretty exhausting day of cooking.
  • Sounds good though! Happy birthday to your mum!
  • Lean pork chops, marinated in Caribbean jerk seasoning, then quickly cooked (5-6 min total) on a stovetop grill thing; oven roasted potatoes and cauliflower in small bites, seasoned well with s&p, rosemary and garlic powder, tossed with sour cream when done and still warm; sauteed shiitakes and red and yellow bell peppers cut up, in butter and EVOO, with sherry, coconut aminos, and ponzu for seasoning, cooked til liquid absorbed; and avocado salsa with red onion and spicy chili dried mango slices, all chopped and mixed with lime juice and s&p. Spicy, but not too spicy and sooo yummy.
  • Tarragon chicken, with rice and green beans. It smells amazing.

This does sound delish, how is the chicken cooked, baked, braised, roasted...?

This does sound delish, how is the chicken cooked, baked, braised, roasted...?
    http://www.rocketandsquash.com/tarragon-chicken/ but with quartered mushrooms added. So delicious!
  • @foodycatAlicia  What a nifty website is rocketandsquash. I really like the clean layout, his style of personalized writing, and the functionaity of it all. So many things sound delish and worth trying.
  • @foodycatAlicia -- that recipie looks wonderful. I am going to try it over the weekend!
  • Qitkat said:
    @foodycatAlicia  What a nifty website is rocketandsquash. I really like the clean layout, his style of personalized writing, and the functionaity of it all. So many things sound delish and worth trying.
    He's really fab.
  • Wow, this recipe makes me wish my family would eat chicken! 
  • Wow, this recipe makes me wish my family would eat chicken! 
    Wow, really? I don't think I've ever met anyone who wouldn't eat chicken! That must make it challenging to cook.
  • Mostly, it makes it very, very dull to cook for them, because they are not adventurous. They will eat fried chicken (which I do not make). And one will eat rotisserie chicken from the store, but only in the first 24 hours of procurement. 

But no casseroles, sauced dishes, etc. for chicken. I have been known to sneak some in when I make jambalaya.
  • Mostly, it makes it very, very dull to cook for them, because they are not adventurous. They will eat fried chicken (which I do not make). And one will eat rotisserie chicken from the store, but only in the first 24 hours of procurement. 

But no casseroles, sauced dishes, etc. for chicken. I have been known to sneak some in when I make jambalaya.
    You must be a better person than I am. This would make me beyond nuts, if I were the main cook in the house. Are these your parents, sibs, kids? I think I'd go on strike! (Only half-kidding). My oldest son had a friend once who was sent on a long-term assignment to China, and he didn't want to go because he hated Chinese food! We invited another friend of a son for Thanksgiving one year, and I think the only thing he would eat was the white meat of the turkey and mashed potatoes. I felt sorry for both of them missing out and being so lacking in adventure. I guess it's really hard to change people who are determined not to try new foods.

What *do* they eat?! I usually think of chicken as the lowest common denominator of meat. Partly based on the number of children I know who will only eat chicken (and sometimes "chicken that is beef", "chicken that is sausage" etc).
  • Beef, pork, fish (but not shellfish), vegetables, salad. It varies between the three of them, and it varies from time to time. The spouse will eat any of the above items, but is not a fan of pasta unless it's his mother's sauce. Which he will make. The boy will eat almost any pasta or baked pasta thing, beef and pork--and sometimes even chicken with his pasta. And veggies, he loves green vegetables. The eldest child rarely eats with us anymore, but will eat most things in small quantities, except fish; however they eat shellfish. And rarely vegetables. So, we are big on straightforward foods, and assume at any given meal someone won't like some part of it and is welcome to make themselves a grilled cheese sandwich.
  • Very tricky!

Husbeast's making a pork curry tonight. Bought naan - I can't be bothered making bread today!