What's for dinner?

Comments

• edited October 2015
    My husband doesn't cook.  At all.  He's wonderful and I adore him and am so lucky to be married him, but...!  It's disappointing, because I've always had this fantasy-image in my head of us pouring a couple of glasses of wine and cooking dinner together, relaxed and laughing and sharing stories.  (No idea where that came from; it certainly didn't exist in my childhood home!  I must've seen it in a commercial for some upscale food product or sexy kitchen appliance or something.)

@GrumpyGirl ; I hope that you regularly cook something exotic that YOU love – even if it means that all of the others choose that sandwich option!  :)
  • Mine's a pretty good cook but he needs to have a lot of time - he's terrible at getting a meal on the table quickly because we are hungry. And he'll make a big curry or pot of stew or something with not a vegetable to be seen, but moan if I cook a meal that's less than 50% veg.
  • Our cooking arrangement has evolved over the years. When we first started dating he did all the cooking (he was working his way through Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking while the best I could manage was English Muffin pizzas, haha!). Once we were living together (by then my cooking skills had improved), who cooked depended on work schedules. At this point I do most of the cooking, but he's always willing to jump in on the days when I can't cope. But we rarely cook together because the times we've tried it was anything but "relaxed and laughing and sharing stories".  :-)
  • edited October 2015
    @foodycatAlicia ;  I once swooned when a friend mentioned that a guy she was dating told her he had some special dish he wanted to make for her.  My friend responded to my swooning with a quote from...was it Erica Jong?...one of the 1960s/Second Wave feminists, anyway:  Beware of the man who tells you he cooks – HE WILL FILL YOUR KITCHEN WITH DIRTY POTS AND PANS.

Lol.  But good for your husbeast for being willing, even if he isn't speedy.  :)

(edited to correct the quote)
  • ... he also doesn't believe in cleaning up after! 
  • Zoeg said:
    When we first started dating he did all the cooking (he was working his way through Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
    Omg, how fabulous.  I can't even imagine...I'm so proud of Mr. Z!
  • edited October 2015
    We are both pretty good cooks. Our second date involved cooking Indian food together. On this date I learned that he is a total pain in the ass at the supermarket (you honestly could not pay me enough money to enter a store with him ever again); that I cannot stand working in a kitchen with him (he uses every single dish/pot/pan/surface; I clean as I go and try to be efficient about using dishes and utensils so that things can do double duty); that he will forget major ingredients (I read the recipe all the way through and make a shopping list; he does not) and cannot improvise (which I can -- I use recipes as guidelines more than rules, really)(not for baking, but for cooking), but I also learned that he is pretty good natured about it all and that he is a pretty good cook.

I married him anyway, but nothing in our cooking dynamic has changed since that date (almost 24 yeas ago), so we rarely spend time in the kitchen together. He usually makes meals on weekends and I do weeknights (he doesn't get home from work until 8:30 or 9, so the kids and I eat long before that).
  • I got the bait and switch. When we were first going out, my now-spousal unit would fix dinners and make food--even for others. But somewhere along the line, aside from brief flare-ups of motivation, he rarely, rarely cooks, and has become increasingly fussy about his food. And yeah, the cleaning after thing is a complete mystery to him--I think he truly believes elves do it. Although he does the bulk of the household cleaning in general, so I can't complain.
  • I quickly learned when we were dating that my future spouse considered throwing a pound of ground beef, a box of pasta, a can of soup, and some cheese together made a good meal. To this day, if he makes the grocery list, the only vegetables on it might be mushrooms and V8 juice, and grapes and strawberries for fruit. He eats veggies, but never considers them in shopping. I do all the cooking, and he does a lot of the cleaning up, but has gotten lazier, and often leaves stuff overnite by the sink, which drives me nuts. He has learned how to make pretty decent meatballs from scratch. He offers to help, but he is so much slower than I am, and hates to be told he is chopping something the wrong way, that I'd rather cook alone. @WinterWhite, I did once have the same fantasies as you did. 80% of what I do is improvised, with recipes as a guideline.
  • Tonight I'm making another batch of All Day Pork Loin Chili (recipe courtesy of the Food Network's Hearty Boys); I love the dish, and make up batches fairly often so I can have some and freeze the rest for later.

However, due to a buy-four coupon, what I'm actually having for supper tonight is a Marie Callendar lasagna; have to use it up to make room in the freezer for the chili!
  • Mr. C can cook, but he's such a lab scientist that there must be a recipe, and it must be followed exactly.  He doesn't cook instinctively, and I think the very idea horrifies him.  He also gets home too late for him to handle the cooking for me - I eat lunch at 10:45 most days, and he doesn't get home until after 7.

He does clean up though, but I can't be picky about the schedule on which it happens.  It usually gets done before I get up for work the next morning, which is fine by me.
  • Curry tonight I think - possibly more South East Asian, because I have a thing for pork and peanut butter ATM.
  • Curry tonight I think - possibly more South East Asian, because I have a thing for pork and peanut butter ATM.
    Ended up being a vindaloo.

Duckherd's pie tonight.
  • When I was a demo chef- this was my most popular item. hands down.

1 lb spicy chicken sausage (or whatever sausage, we had a house made that I liked... and I would let the meat guys know)
    1 lb red grapes cut in half
    1/2 stick butter
    1-2 cups balsamic vinegar (again would use the house brand but)

peel/crumble and cook the sausage, add rest of the ingredients until simmered (let the vinegar cook a bit). you can serve over noodles if you like but...I like the spicy/tart/sweet (you really need to cut the grapes- other wise you get a not-pleasant 'explosion' in your mouth)

• Oh dear, WHY am I looking at this thread at 4:45 when I have no idea what's for dinner? At least I'm the only one affected. I think I'll have to raid the fridge and may go to my old standby: popcorn for dinner! (I already was pretty healthy today, I feel compelled to add!) 

I've used the cookbook Sheet Pan Suppers and that has a sausage/grape/polenta/blue cheese recipe that's really quite good! I might add a drizzle of balsamic next time.

1 lb spicy chicken sausage (or whatever sausage, we had a house made that I liked... and I would let the meat guys know)
    1/2 stick butter

peel/crumble and cook the sausage, add rest of the ingredients until simmered (let the vinegar cook a bit). you can serve over noodles if you like but...I like the spicy/tart/sweet (you really need to cut the grapes- other wise you get a not-pleasant 'explosion' in your mouth)

Barefoot Contessa has a recipe like this except you don't take the sausage out of the casings and you roast everything in the oven. It is really surprisingly good.

1/2 stick butter

Barefoot Contessa has a recipe like this except you don't take the sausage out of the casings and you roast everything in the oven. It is really surprisingly good.
    Well as a demo this was great, I could do it in a huge wok, lots of ingredients to grab and go, across from the great guys (and lady) in the meat dept...very simple. I like the crumbled sausage...

1/2 stick butter

I've made that dish (not her version, but other people's recipes) many times. I just love it!
  • heybethpdx, I love the Sheet Pan Suppers cookbook.  Every recipe I've tried has been really good.  Mr. Scout is always happy when I cook from this book, since he's the dishwasher and it's always an easy cleanup. 

Here's the link for anyone who's interested- http://www.amazon.com/Sheet-Pan-Suppers-Surprising-Hands-Off/dp/0761178422.   

• @Scout - it's a great cookbook, isn't it? I always borrow cookbooks from the library before I buy, and 99 times out of a hundred I don't bother with the purchase after getting to flip through them. This was the exception, I bookmarked a bunch and have already cooked several recipes out of it. 

My boyfriend is a hesitant but willing cook, so I'm totally going to let him borrow the cookbook so he can make me dinner! 
  • Now I'm thinking about those turkey burgers with mozzarella and the barbecue chicken nachos.  I need to make both of those again soon.

• Ooooh I've been eyeing the turkey burger one! Glad to hear it is in fact yummy. 
  • Spaghetti & meatballs here. Or fusilli and meatballs because I am not at all sure we have spaghetti.
  • Meatloaf tonight, eggplant with peanut sauce tomorrow night, barbecued chicken on Wednesday, tortellini with pesto on Thursday. That's as far as I've gotten.
  • Eggplant with peanut sauce sounds lovely!

Chicken pilaf and chilli paneer here.
  • I was so lazy last night, I just did puff pastry with pesto and grated cheese on top. So yummy tho.
  • edited October 2015
    Just before we left for work this morning I rubbed some baby back ribs with coconut crystals and spices and threw it in the slow cooker with a barbeque sauce I made on Sunday. This evening we will either have fall off the bone deliciousness or a sticky disaster.

Last night we made one of our very favourites - red curry salmon over sauteed bok choy. 
  • I'd love to say I have the time to cook much at the moment but I don't. I had a spare ten minutes this afternoon tho so knocked up some macaroni and cheese (sauce made from scratch, no bought sauces here thank you) with sweet chilli sauce. That'll have to do. I'm not 100% well so comfort food in on the menu. 
  • @Scarlett, it's the worst to feel unwell AND limited on caretaking time! Hope you feel better. 

@ashtangjunkie - coconut crystals? Please elaborate.. sounds amazing. Let us know how those ribs come out, I just got my hands on some divine BBQ sauce and have to figure out how best to use it (it's homemade by someone else, so I have 16 ounces and that's IT).