RuPaul's Drag Race

So excited for the new season, let's chat about it.
Over the weekend someone gave my daughter a white rat for her birthday.
My daughter: Her name is Bianca.
Me: Bianca Del Rio?
My daughter: No mom, Bianca from the Rescuers, not the drag queen!

Comments

• I've noticed that the show is getting a lot more produced, which makes me sad. It's already about men dressing as women and this mix of both playing their characters PLUS playing for the cameras, so the added layer of forced conflict and other reality tv tricks makes it less fun for me.
  • It's true, it's success may be the exact thing that ruins but I still have hope. The commercials for the show this season are a bit bizarre.
  • I think Rupaul has said that this season is more about getting to the show's roots, so I'm hoping it will be less fake. Plus, I think the show has tipped itself too much into performing challenges (which tend to bleed together). I'd like a better mix of performing vs runway challenges.
  • I do think it suffers a bit from the Queens themselves being a bit too self aware now. The odd behavior of Laganja and the fake drama that always gets stirred up for camera time springs to mind. It's become such a huge platform for the queens now that there probably is no way of getting rid of that kind of stuff. I agree with you about the performing challenges.
  • I prefer the performing challenges.  While I'm aware of the pageant circuit, where I'm guessing a lot of the contestants come from, I love drag for the camp factor, which comes out more when the queens perform.  I'm always confounded when these queens are shocked that they're being asked to speak.  I kind of figure that the looks are the baseline they have to pass to even be on the show, and it's the CUNT that finds the winner.
  • edited February 2015
    I cannot wait!

• All right, slight spoilers if you haven't seen the latest cast yet.

The latest crop of queens seems like a really nice blend of different styles and aesthetics. It'll be interesting to see how queens with distinctive looks like Tempest or Trixie fare, or the more character driven girls like Katya and Max. The only one who worries me is Violet, as she seems to be going in with the mindset of "I'll just be the bitch!" It'll get her camera time, but that doesn't strike me as the wisest decision.
  • What I want to know is what happened to the second All-Stars season? Remember when there was voting for favorite queens to come back?
  • It seems like it's taking forever for the new season to start!
    Last couple of years it's been late January or early February, this year it's the beginning of March.
  • @StellaVision That pole was actually meant for the Top 15 Fan Favourite special they were doing. All-Stars 2 is still up in the air as far as anyone can tell.

@GemFemme Honestly, no one knows why they've pulled the season back so far. The best theory so far is that they did it to give Michelle Visage some time to return after Celebrity Big Brother.
  • I prefer the performance challenges also, and so I guess it's no coincidence that I like the winners of the last 3 seasons better than the winners of the first 3. RPDR has now spawned such an industry of its own, that Ru needs performers to tour after their seasons to keep it going. I mean, who would you rather hand a microphone in front of an audience -- Tyra Sanchez or Jinkx Monsoon?

That said, I have no opinion really on whether the talent pool as a whole has gotten better, worse or stayed about the same over the years. How, for example, would Lineysha Sparx have done on Season 2? Or what if Nina had been on Season 6? What do you guys think?
  • @JeremyFeist I don't think the season moving has to do with Michelle, she's on tour in Britain for the next few months on the RuPaul BOTS tour AND they already filmed the entire season starting in August (or maybe September)...

I am SUPER excited for this season, not necessarily for the group of girls, but I just can't wait for it to start. Trixie is from Wisconsin and I have had the chance to see her a few times but have never taken up the offer, so I will have to go soon.  Also, Jeremy, I TOTALLY hope we don't have another Laganja character in Violet...Laganja was my 2nd least favorite behind Mimi Imfurst, and just before India Ferrah and Venus D-Lite (and maybe Serena Cha-Cha).
  • @Jacob_Daniel Yeah, it was a bit of a stab in the dark... Now, as for Violet! I doubt she'll be Laganja 2: Electric Boogaloo, but everything she says pre-season seems to indicate she's going in with the idea that being a bitch will get her air time. It just doesn't sound like she has the best game plan in mind.

That waist though.
  • I'm very behind - I've just been watching S6. It's really throwing me, because Courtney Act has the exact same voice and accent as a friend of mine.
  • Though I don't think Laganja went in thinking she was a bitch, she was basically doing a bad impersonation of her drag mother Alyssa Edwards. She would be palatable in small doses when drunk at a club, but the glaring light of a television show was too much for that kid. I think she was nervous and unused to being critiqued as a young and pretty queen and it got the better of her. Not that I like Laganja, but she isn't as bad as Mimi or Serena

I am very excited for the new season and look forward to seeing whose name RuPaul decides to mess with for the season "IIIIIvvvvvvvvvvvyyyyyy Wiiinnnnnnttttteeeerrrrss" (who I think lasted as long as she did on the show because Ru liked saying her name)
  • What do y'all think of the new judges?  Santino is getting the axe, and the two new judges are Ross Matthews and Carson Kressley.

I never was crazy about Santino, but the bickering between him and Michelle was always fun.  I've always had a little crush on Ross, but not sure about Carson.

Looking forward to this season, although I think it has lost a little bit of its magic.  If only Nina Flowers could be on every season.  
  • I didn't realize Santino wasn't coming back. I always thought he was sweet but maybe not the best judge but Ru doesn't seem to pick her judges based on ability. I do like Ross usually, he can be a bit much sometimes. I have no idea about Carson.
  • I like Carson. He's quick with quip and fashion savvy.

You would think any queen planning to act terrible on the show would know better. Phi Phi was a horrible, bullying bitch on the show and succeeded in having everyone loathe her. Both on the show and the watching audience.
    Now, on the other hand I enjoy a queen who can direct her bitchiness in an amusing way such as Raven or Bianca Del Rio. In other words I guess I love a queen that's bitchy on the outside and has a warm heart of gold on the inside.
  • I think LaGanga's problem was that she had NO WEED the entire time she was there!  That'll make anyone a little crazy if she was smoking it as much as I thought she was!
  • Gemfemme said:
    I like Carson. He's quick with quip and fashion savvy. You would think any queen planning to act terrible on the show would know better. Phi Phi was a horrible, bullying bitch on the show and succeeded in having everyone loathe her. Both on the show and the watching audience.  .
    And it took her all the way to the finals. They kept her because they saw potential, or for sheer bitchy drama, or to throw her under the bus for Chad or Sharon's win - but in any case the girl got LOADS of publicity- they say bad press is better than no press.
  • " I' just here to, like, steal stuff"
    Yeah - I think Katya is gonna be my favourite. There are some definite shades of Willam-esque with there I think.
  • I prefer the performance challenges also, and so I guess it's no coincidence that I like the winners of the last 3 seasons better than the winners of the first 3. RPDR has now spawned such an industry of its own, that Ru needs performers to tour after their seasons to keep it going. I mean, who would you rather hand a microphone in front of an audience -- Tyra Sanchez or Jinkx Monsoon? That said, I have no opinion really on whether the talent pool as a whole has gotten better, worse or stayed about the same over the years. How, for example, would Lineysha Sparx have done on Season 2? Or what if Nina had been on Season 6? What do you guys think?
    Absolutely. The fact that Tyra won her season basically spawned the "stop resting on pretty" critique - I think the judges realized that when you crown someone with the intelligence of a clam and the personality of a house brick, all you're going to get is some low-rent Beyonce knock-off who can smile and waive. Jinkx is a consummate performer (ask ANYONE who has seen The Vaudervillians), Bianca is an extremely talented comic who can totally hold her own and Sharon Needles has that extra something that lifts here above the club-level drag queens. 

Then there is Willam, arguably the most famous of the RuPaul alumni - style, humor, vocals, acting - that bitch has it all. 
  • I didn't know Santino was out!! I think Carson Kressley will be fabulous as a judge. Gawd, who didn't love Queer Eye?! I think it's good that the judging has gotten changed up. Santino was stale, and quite frankly Michelle is too. Carson will be great for humor. 

Soooo excited for the new season.
  • PBL5094 said:
    What do y'all think of the new judges?  Santino is getting the axe, and the two new judges are Ross Matthews and Carson Kressley.

I never was crazy about Santino, but the bickering between him and Michelle was always fun.  I've always had a little crush on Ross, but not sure about Carson.

Looking forward to this season, although I think it has lost a little bit of its magic.  If only Nina Flowers could be on every season.  

Santino has been wearing on my last nerve the last couple of seasons. Some of his critiques were just... what? Michelle falls into expected ruts as well but I'm not as put off by her bullshit as I am Santino's.

Now, I loooooove Carson and only a part of that is his horsey work (he's a very accomplished saddle-seat rider) and I loved Queer Eye and I enjoyed the hell out of him every time he was on Craig Ferguson and all of that. This is a good thing for me.
  • Definitely some behind the scenes drama has happened on the start of the season - Ru herself tweeted that it would start in January.
  • edited February 2015
    For those interested, here are some cartoons of my favourite of the new queens TEMPEST DUJOUR!  

Enjoy!

• edited February 2015
  • Your drag strips are fabulous, Anaita Wonder!
  • Glad to see Santino go, but not to sure about the new judges. I guess we will see how they do. I always look forward to Billy B. guest judging - he is sharp and honest.
  • I'm really happy to hear that Santino is out.  I'm so sick of him drawling about something being "on point" and his attitude was always that the queens should be dressing to his tastes.  I know they all have their specialties, but I never cared as much about the fashion (unless it was really terrible or really great, serviceable is fine for me) as the performance bits.  Santino only ever commented on fashion, and it got boring.  I can't wait to see Ross and Carson.  I still miss Merle Ginsburgh.

I'm surprised TLo haven't done a run-down post of this season's crop of queens yet.