RuPaul's Drag Race

Comments

• tetisheri said:

OK, did anyone see Untucked anywhere? There is a clip from it on last night's RPDR, but I couldn't find it on Youtube.

It's up on the VH1 website. My DVR recorded it last week as one long episode with Drag Race, but not this week for some reason.
  • I feel like these queens cry too much. I don't normally mind crying on reality TV, but good god, it just doesn't take much to set these girls off. If they were competing in that season 5 crying on cue mini-challenge, they'd have 10s across the board. It's like all of them are Thorgy and can't take the whole "competition" aspect of things.

Anyway, so far I like Monique Heart, Miz Cracker, and Blair St Clair. I like some of the others, but I don't have a great handle on them yet.

@tetisheri Untucked is its own TV show again instead of just a webseries, so you can watch it however you're watching Drag Race. I have a Season Pass on iTunes for both of them.

Does anyone else think it's hilarious that Untucked has all these captions to tell us what's happening? As if anyone watching it hasn't already watched the main show.
  • tetisheri said:

OK, did anyone see Untucked anywhere? There is a clip from it on last night's RPDR, but I couldn't find it on Youtube.

VH1 is broadcasting it immediately after Drag Race, but I'm guessing that doesn't answer your question.
    Thanks. I watch RPDR on Amazon, so I'll have to try and track Untucked down, maybe on VH1's site.
  • So, I've got a question for the group about the end of the first episode:

Why did the eliminated queen (her full name escapes me) keep saying "Miss Vanjee" as she sashayed away? I realize that's her middle name, but why did she chant her own name over and over? Is this a cultural thing I'm missing? A month later, it still disturbs me.
  • So...the Vanjie thing...I think she was pretty morose upon being eliminated and kind of just did that to avoid breaking into tears.

As for watching Untucked, you can watch the first episode free on VH1's website. However, the rest are locked behind having a television service provider. If you are like me and have given up cable for economic and other reasons and only watch specific shows through Amazon, then do what I do: find bootleg versions on youtube and dailymotion.
  • Her name is Vanessa Vanjie Mateo (drag daughter of Alexis Mateo). I suspect it was going to be her catchphrase, but she didn't expect to go home first. It actually made an impact with a lot of people - the Drag Race sub redditt immediately started talking about her for All Stars.
    A Billboard interview with Miss Vanjie about her viral moment:
    https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/pride/8283885/vanessa-vanjie-mateo-viral-meme-interview-explanation
  • I'm enjoying this season. No one is necessarily blowing me away (Beyond maybe Miz Cracker) but the cast feels pretty light on Filler Queens.

I will say that I think Dusty being in the bottom while The Vixen or Monique were safe was a poor choice.

And The Vixen is annoying seeing her dominate Untucked by going to 11 so quickly makes for an exhausting watch.
  • Miz Cracker is my queen followed by Asia, Aquaria, Blair and Monique. The latter is giving some of the most fun commentary in several seasons. Her talking heads are a hoot.

Eureka continues to get on my nerves. There’s no denying that she has talent, I however just find her lacking in sincerity and uniqueness. I get the feeling that any emotion she shows on camera is carefully calibrated. She still has to be the center of attention in the room and that gets too exhausting to watch.

• Gemfemme said:

Miz Cracker is my queen followed by Asia, Aquaria, Blair and Monique. The latter is giving some of the most fun commentary in several seasons. Her talking heads are a hoot.

Eureka continues to get on my nerves. There’s no denying that she has talent, I however just find her lacking in sincerity and uniqueness. I get the feeling that any emotion she shows on camera is carefully calibrated. She still has to be the center of attention in the room and that gets too exhausting to watch.

I would have to agree... 'exhausting' is a perfect word for Eureka- the 'schtick' is getting very very old. (even the voice over is stale). we GET it...you are a (the) "BIG GURL". got it.
  • Was it Miz Cracker that had that "My Fair Lady" hat she made out of her own wig? I thought that was spectacular! I was sad to see Blair St Clair gone.
  • Munchkn said:

Was it Miz Cracker that had that "My Fair Lady" hat she made out of her own wig? I thought that was spectacular! I was sad to see Blair St Clair gone.

I just wish the wig/hat was a bit darker to make it a bit more obvious (auburn would be stunning) without her having to point it out.
  • Gemfemme said:

Miz Cracker is my queen followed by Asia, Aquaria, Blair and Monique. The latter is giving some of the most fun commentary in several seasons. Her talking heads are a hoot.

I would have to agree... 'exhausting' is a perfect word for Eureka- the 'schtick' is getting very very old. (even the voice over is stale). we GET it...you are a (the) "BIG GURL". got it.
    Eureka seems like someone who is sensitive and sweet but she is incredibly annoying. She seems to require nonstop attention and feels left out or ignored when she's not. I get that if she's a big girl that maybe she wants to be the center of attention and hold that attention so that she doesn't have to maybe feel insecure or uncomfortable. But it's just exhausting to watch her sometimes and I could see why Trinity didn't like her.
  • This is an enjoyable season, and I think it benefits a lot from not having a clear front-runner. There are several strong queens here, but none that is obviously stronger than the others, because for all the strengths they have, all of them have serious weaknesses.

-Monet is hilarious but needs some work polishing her runway and gets too conceptual
    -Eureka performs well and has good looks but can be pretty grating
    -Aquaria has looks and some performance chops but also can be grating and overconfident
    -Miz Cracker looks good but never spectacular every time and is funny, but her windup can get in the way of her punchlines
    -Kameron has fantastic and imaginative looks and does a solid B- performance whenever comedy is required
    -Asia serves consistently good looks, but her acting skills aren't quite there
    -Vixen serves EXCELLENT villain drama and dances well, but her looks always look cheap and she has bad performance instincts

I think Vixen is almost certainly next to go and I think Asia is not going to make it to the top 3, but of the remaining queens, it's hard to say who will win. On wins alone, I'd say Eureka and Aquaria are going to make it to the top 3, but they both seem annoying enough that anyone other than Vixen in that third spot would have a huge advantage with the fans going into the finale. I'm hoping the finale will be Kameron, Monet, and Miz Cracker, but I can't see that actually happening.

• As for watching Untucked, you can watch the first episode free on VH1's website. However, the rest are locked behind having a television service provider. If you are like me and have given up cable for economic and other reasons and only watch specific shows through Amazon, then do what I do: find bootleg versions on youtube and dailymotion.

Is that still true for you demidaemon? I was able to buy both Untucked & Season 10 on Amazon. I don't have cable.

Interesting season. Loved Asia's little talk with Vixen about her combativeness. She showed heart & compassion. But she also seems to not want to take responsibility for her choices/actions. Her "I feel used" after helping all the other queens on dress making, and her "I got the worst Cher to impersonate" struck me as wanting to lay the blame where it didn't belong.

I love Miz Cracker, and Kameron has really grown on me. From episode 1 I was thinking Kameron was going to be one of the most interesting, but she's kind of stayed in the 'safe' zone and didn't really shine till the Cher challenge.

I agree that Eureka is annoying. She seems very needy and sucks all the air out of the room. Her immaturity shows. Very sorry that Blair St Clair is gone, out of drag she looks like she's 10 yrs old. But I love the vintage broadway looks she brings and her 'meet the queens' made me think she was going to be bringing more Ann Margret / Julie Andrews type looks. Her back story was heart-breaking.

Also sad to see Yuhua not do better, what a beautiful face. Could easily get away with very little makeup and still look stunning. I know that drag is about being over the top, and especially if you are going to be performing on a stage, but some of these queens are so beautiful out of drag I'd love to see them wear less makeup and just enhance their natural looks. I wonder if their day-to-day is more like this..? would love to see it.
  • I love Monet's commentary; she is really clever, seems sweet, and she is as good at taking a joke as she is at giving one. I basically want to hang out with her.
  • maschultz said:

As for watching Untucked, you can watch the first episode free on VH1's website. However, the rest are locked behind having a television service provider. If you are like me and have given up cable for economic and other reasons and only watch specific shows through Amazon, then do what I do: find bootleg versions on youtube and dailymotion.

Is that still true for you demidaemon? I was able to buy both Untucked & Season 10 on Amazon. I don't have cable.

Interesting season. Loved Asia's little talk with Vixen about her combativeness. She showed heart & compassion. But she also seems to not want to take responsibility for her choices/actions. Her "I feel used" after helping all the other queens on dress making, and her "I got the worst Cher to impersonate" struck me as wanting to lay the blame where it didn't belong.

I love Miz Cracker, and Kameron has really grown on me. From episode 1 I was thinking Kameron was going to be one of the most interesting, but she's kind of stayed in the 'safe' zone and didn't really shine till the Cher challenge.

I agree that Eureka is annoying. She seems very needy and sucks all the air out of the room. Her immaturity shows. Very sorry that Blair St Clair is gone, out of drag she looks like she's 10 yrs old. But I love the vintage broadway looks she brings and her 'meet the queens' made me think she was going to be bringing more Ann Margret / Julie Andrews type looks. Her back story was heart-breaking.

Also sad to see Yuhua not do better, what a beautiful face. Could easily get away with very little makeup and still look stunning. I know that drag is about being over the top, and especially if you are going to be performing on a stage, but some of these queens are so beautiful out of drag I'd love to see them wear less makeup and just enhance their natural looks. I wonder if their day-to-day is more like this..? would love to see it.
    I haven't checked in a minute but will now. I think queens like Yuhua know that they need to over exaggerate make-up to balance any natural fishiness. Joslyn Fox talked about this in regards to her aesthetic.
  • Was able to buy it on Amazon, mashultz. Thanks. For some reason, they did not have it available for the first few weeks of the season so I sought other options.
  • Monet is a queen I want to hang out with on a beach, sipping cocktails and laughing our asses off. She definitely has both star quality and likability, plus the most gorgeous eyes and skin.
  • Mmmmm kinda disappointed Ms Cracker was the one sent home. Seems odd that they don't take previous performance into consideration for these late eliminations. I was rooting for Cracker to take the crown.

Both Cracker & Kameron were the right ones to end up in the bottom, just didn't agree with who got sent home.

• maschultz said:

Mmmmm kinda disappointed Ms Cracker was the one sent home. Seems odd that they don't take previous performance into consideration for these late eliminations. I was rooting for Cracker to take the crown.

Both Cracker & Kameron were the right ones to end up in the bottom, just didn't agree with who got sent home.

I'm rooting for Kameron to take the crown, so that's why I'm not disappointed. I think I have same problem with Cracker that RuPaul ultimately did- she always seems like she's holding back something and not fully committing, which I personally found very frustrating.

At this point, though, I'm just rooting against Aquaria. I'd really like Kameron to win, but I don't think that's likely. If she doesn't, Asia would be a great winner. I find Eureka annoying but if she wins, I can't say she didn't earn it. With Aquaria, I feel like the judges have just been looking at a completely different queen all season from the one on my TV screen. They eat her up and I don't really get why.
  • I have never 'felt' Aquaria either...just a big ol' 'meh'....
  • I get annoyed by the whole "you must cry and fight major personal demons to be a drag superstar" BS. Some drag queens have unremarkable back-stories (i.e. no more than the challenges every gay child faces), and it shouldn't be held against them. Besides, Miss Cracker already shared the painful story of his mom losing her sight. I am over the Dr Phil approach.
  • nolakent said:

I get annoyed by the whole "you must cry and fight major personal demons to be a drag superstar" BS. Some drag queens have unremarkable back-stories (i.e. no more than the challenges every gay child faces), and it shouldn't be held against them. Besides, Miss Cracker already shared the painful story of his mom losing her sight. I am over the Dr Phil approach.

It's actually the inconsistency and the fakeness of the Dr. Phil approach that made me so annoyed last episode! I mean, let's be real, Aquaria has no inner saboteur, but she won the challenge because Ru found her looks so stunning. If the challenge was supposed to be make a good girl look and a bad girl look as well as you can and present them on the runway with a script, I'm pretty sure a lot of the girls would have gone in a very different direction for their looks. But they were presented with the idea that their villains actually had to represent their own personal demons and had to tie in with their good girl. Aquaria was basically rewarded for having the prettiest mean girl.

I really, really hope the finale is the same format as last season. We know that 3 of these girls are very good at lip synching, so hopefully they'll be able to knock her out in the first round.
  • Ugh- had to turn it off last night. There is ENOUGH drama on the news with out watching a bunch of (drag) queens go at it....sigh

I will watch the finale but ugh...
  • I actually liked the reunion. Vixen getting up & flouncing out of the room was crazy. Asia sitting there saying "we need to help her" and Ru saying "no, actually, we don't" ~ she didn't want to be helped, she wanted to ride her drama llama off into the sunset. LOL
  • ugh- epic butterfly ugh.
  • I was a bit surprised by the finale. I thought it was between Asia and Aquaria, but reconsidered once they offed Asia. To me, it was between Asia & Aquaria if Cracker wasn't to be a part of it. Sooo... there ya go.

Loved the cameos from Oprah & Judy Dench.
  • My heart sunk for Asia. I liked all of the final four for different reasons. Asia, the "authentic angel", Eureka, the "come back queen/redemption story", Kameron, "the underestimated one", an Aquaria, "the future forward". I'm disappointed that the final 4 felt like they had to amp up the gimmicks when the entire season's theme was being authentic. It all just felt forced to me.
  • I agree- the gimickry really took the...joy? out of it...
  • Asia must have lost her mind. Even if the butterfly gimmick had worked it wouldn't have been a "wow" moment, and it definitely would not have been enough payoff for wearing such a hideous outfit. Her standing there at the end with both boobs ripped off among butterfly death: it'll be hard for anyone to ever do worse than that.