Say Yes to the Dress

Raise your hand if you are addicted (even though the show is becoming annoyingly overproduced -- I especially can't STAND those silly opening Lori-and-Monte segments on the Atlanta version).

I miss the NYC version at the moment. I'll watch Atlanta, but those Southern belles are way too tasteful. It's much more entertaining to watch a NYC shopper drop the price of a new car on a hideous Pnina Tornai.

I also admit to being a sucker for the heartstring-tugging stories (like the 24-year-old girl who had lung cancer? I think? and who was bald when she was shopping for her gown) and the really sweet families (the woman who had two retired NFL players for brothers, who brought a giant $29,000 Pnina on the mannequin into the dressing room with the intention of buying it for her if she liked it -- and they all cracked up when they realized she couldn't move in it).

Comments

• I am also terribly addicted to this show. Even though I've been married for 8 1/2 years and will (hopefully) never need to shop for a wedding dress again. I just can't help myself.

I just get so flabbergasted at people that can spend $10,000+ on a dress for one day. Even if I was stupid rich I'm not sure I could spend that much on a dress. I'd rather have a car or something.

The one thing that always annoys me, though, are those people in the entourage who are always, "I don't like it. It's not my style." Well, duh. It's her style. Does it look nice on her? This day is not about you.
  • I'm just gonna say it. Every Pnina Tornai I've seen on that show has been fug.
  • I don't schedule SYTTD, but if I sit down and it's on I can't turn it off. If it's the NY show I'm always hoping that one of the brides will at least try on a Pnina Tornai. They're all fug and kind of trashy and half of them look like what's supposed to go under a big poofy wedding dress, not the dress itself.

I defend my viewing on the grounds that it's educational. First lesson, think long and hard about letting someone else pay for your gown. It's the golden rule---(s)he who has the gold, makes the rules. If your would-be benefactor has a very different vision from yours then you need to buy a dress you can afford to pay for yourself or you'll be sorry. Second lesson, related to the first is think long and hard about bringing more than 3 people with you. Third lesson, if one of your bridesmaids is being a jealous, self-involved beotch fire her. Even if it's your sister. Possibly especially if it's your sister.
  • I'm a fan of the NYC SYTTD, but really can't stand the Atlanta show. I definitely agree about the Pnina dresses. What's up with all the see-through corset bodices?
  • *raises hand*  I started watching it a few years ago when my friend was getting married and I was a bridesmaid and now I'm thoroughly addicted.  I haven't seen the Bridesmaids edition on lately, but when I watch it, I can't believe how terrible some of these women are!  I joked to my friend that we were too good to her. 

@Switch842, I'm with you, I'm always amazed that people can spend that much money on a dress.  Or the people who lay down tons of money for 2 dresses.  Even if I had the money (which I won't, unless I win the lottery or something) I couldn't bring myself to spend that much money on a dress. 

• I secretly love this too, AND I found out that my bf watches it too, when I'm not around. :P

NY is definitely my favorite, mostly because some of those brides-to-be can really bring the tacky (Pnina).

@Kimbolina - the Pnina dresses are fug and TACKY.

@Switch842 - I can't understand how people don't realize that it's about what the bride likes and wants. It really pisses me off sometimes.
  • *hangs head, raises hand* Hi, I'm SarahBeth and addicted to Say Yes to the Dress.

And I kind of love Atlanta more than I like NYC because sometimes these southern people are crazier then the NY ones.

It also blows my mind when people spend thousands on a dress. Its ONE DAY. Gah, it killed me to spend what I did on mine as it was (And it wasn't much).

• I finally quit this show about a year or 2. Back in the old TWoP days we use to call the Pnina dress fairy stripper dresses. Every bride always wanted these see through corsets to wear in church and then proclaims them "Klassy". I think it was the bridemaid show that tipped me over the edge.
  • I can't watch this show because I can't believe that every one of those brides can afford $8000+ for a gown and I can't imagine paying that much for a dress to be worn once!

Also, some people should just never think of wearing a strapless dress. Do they not see themselves?

The only show worse than this, to me, is Bridezillas. There are some deranged personalities. 

• FAIRY STRIPPER. OMG, that's awesome. I mean...I don't get it. Even if your husband-to-be asks for a sexy dress, you still have to wear it in front of your parents...and his parents...and I just couldn't do that with Pnina's bedazzled lingerie with a straight face!

I have seen two Pninas that I could deal with. One was an insanely expensive -- I think $20K-plus one -- that had a sculptural back that looked like a giant rose. It was on a tall, willowy girl who could really carry it off. But how do you sit down in such a thing, knowing that the second you get up, the effect will be spoiled by wrinkling?

The other was the dress eventually chosen by the woman with two NFL brothers. But it was such a generic thing, nothing like Pnina's usual disasters. The dress wasn't that great, but the bride was so happy and strikingly lovely that she would have made any dress that wasn't hideous look good.
  • Lori said:
    If your would-be benefactor has a very different vision from yours then you need to buy a dress you can afford to pay for yourself or you'll be sorry.
    Word. Also, I think some of the brides are idiots about "selling" the look they want to their entourage. If you want something body-con, and your father wants you in a princess dress, DON'T walk out and immediately tell Dad, "I love how this makes my butt look!" You can whisper that to the consultant, but how many times have you seen an entourage that seemed to like a dress that the bride loved...until she opened her big mouth about how sexy it made her look?
  • Kimbolina said:
    I'm just gonna say it. Every Pnina Tornai I've seen on that show has been fug.
    Totally! I love it when someone comes in wanting a Pnina. You know there's going to be some drama and fugliness.

I don't get to watch any more since it got taken off netflix, but that show was my secret addiction. I replaced it for a while with that other wedding show - David Tutera. But there are only a few of those on Netflix. SIGH.
  • This show represents everything I hate, but I can watch it for hours on end!  I love how Pnina is treated like this high-end designer celebrity and her dresses are sooo tacky. I did like it better when every show didn't end with Randy saving the day - remember when they used to give a little backstory on the consultants?  That was kind of fun.  Now it's just all Randy all the time and I love him but it's a little formulaic. But despite that and the conspicuous consumption, horrible taste and entitled brats, I still watch!  

I can't abide the Bridesmaids versions though. I have no desire to watch people being bitchy to each other for no reason.

• Oh man, I LOVE SYTTD. I actually bought my dress at BBL and had a great experience there. The New York one is oftentimes more entertaining simply because a greater portion of the brides have insane budgets that they want to spend on a fug Pnina than those in ATL. My brother watches the Bridesmaids one with me and we snark viciously. Still kinda wish I'd taken him with me when I went dress shopping.
  • It keeps irritating me, but I just can't quit this show.  But I'm SO GLAD that I was married before it was around for me to watch.  I would have felt weird TV peer pressure that would have made me feel like spending that much money on a dress was acceptable or expected of me.  Without that pressure, my dress cost $300, hooray!
  • Demeter said:

Also, some people should just never think of wearing a strapless dress. Do they not see themselves?

Being someone who would never wear a strapless dress, and thus having done some research on this, one reason may simply be that at least a few years back (and I think this continues to this day, unless you can afford a custom or couture gown), finding a wedding dress with sleeves can be very difficult in the US shops (and the few available ones tend to be either old-fashioned and aging or decidedly Renaissance Fair-y). Even cap sleeves or simple straps were much less common than strapless for some reason for years. Kate Middleton's dress made things better for a while, but that just lead to the SYTTD episode where everyone wanted to try out "Kate's dress" at the same time.

Love the show, but I do sometimes want to reach inside the tv and slap a b*tch, usually when a bridesmaid or mother keeps hating on dresses that look fabulous on the bride and that the bride loves, because they "don't like that style" or "imagined you in something else". While I loathe the lunatics on Bridezillas with their "it's my day!" stuff, I do find myself going "look, it's her dress and her wedding, not yours, so zip it!"
  • Even cap sleeves or simple straps were much less common than strapless for some reason for years. Kate Middleton's dress made things better for a while, but that just lead to the SYTTD episode where everyone wanted to try out "Kate's dress" at the same time.
    Oh my goodness, yes. Which...I just don't understand. Kate Middleton is one of the few brides on earth who could truly spend whatever she wanted -- indeed, was expected to spend many times what even the most obnoxious Kleinfeld bride does -- on her gown.

So why would any gal with a normal (or even "normal" for SYTTD) budget think that the dress she gets is going to be anything but a shadow of what Cathy Cambridge looked like? She had Sarah freaking Burton working personally on her gown, and a raft of Royal Needlework School embroiderers making the lace by hand, washing their hands every half hour so they wouldn't get it dirty.

That, and I wouldn't want to wear a gown that immediately is going to make people think of someone else.
  • I wore a sequined cocktail dress to my wedding, which only our nuclear families attended, in my parents' front yard. We went out to dinner afterwards. I never even considered a big poofy gown, yet somehow I'm addicted to all the wedding shows!

I love how every bride says "I want something different and unique!" and then buys a white strapless dress.
  • edited February 2015
    While I loathe the lunatics on Bridezillas with their "it's my day!"
    stuff, I do find myself going "look, it's her dress and her wedding, not
    yours, so zip it!"

This. It's not your wedding and it's not your dress, this is not a difficult concept. If you have issues you need to discuss them with someone other than the bride, somewhere other than the bridal salon.
  • Totally. The only thing worse than the bridezillas is the crazy family members. Did you see the one with the mom who was insisting on trying on wedding dresses?!?!!?
  • Totally. The only thing worse than the bridezillas is the crazy family members. Did you see the one with the mom who was insisting on trying on wedding dresses?!?!!?
    Ha. Occasionally, though, the crazy entourages cross the line back from "oh my god it's not your wedding let it go" into awesome, like when Johnny Weir came out in a wedding gown!

• I love how every bride says "I want something different and unique!" and then buys a white strapless dress.
    OMG! THIS! 

I must confess my addiction to this show as well, against my better nature. My husband just rolls his eyes when he comes in the living room and I'm glued to the set, watching these spoiled women spend a downpayment on a house on a dress they are going to wear once... and the "unique and different" brides are the most hilarious.

Have you noticed that certain gowns become favorites every season, and that almost every bride that chooses one of these gowns somehow thinks she is the only one meant to wear it? I'm thinking specifically about that huge blush ball gown with the hiddy waist embellishment...
  • edited February 2015
    poptartk said:

Have you noticed that certain gowns become favorites every season, and that almost every bride that chooses one of these gowns somehow thinks she is the only one meant to wear it? I'm thinking specifically about that huge blush ball gown with the hiddy waist embellishment...
    YES, the Lazaro. Also there's a ruched trumpet-style dress made of cheap-looking satin with a jeweled waistband that pretty much every bride with a budget of $3K or less tries on. I wonder whether that's because the store truly has a small selection in that price range, or if it's that the selection of designers that are willing to have their dresses on camera (and thereby subject to price-shopping or having the dress copied by a seamstress) is limited.

I noticed this especially during that one season of "Big Bliss." I have to guess they stopped making that version because it only showcased how small Kleinfeld's selection is for the plus-sized gal!

One more annoyance with this show: the "Across the salon..." intros. EVERYONE CAN SEE THAT IT'S THE SAME LOCATION AT A DIFFERENT POINT IN TIME. Stop insulting my intelligence!
  • It keeps irritating me, but I just can't quit this show.  But I'm SO GLAD that I was married before it was around for me to watch.  I would have felt weird TV peer pressure that would have made me feel like spending that much money on a dress was acceptable or expected of me.  Without that pressure, my dress cost $300, hooray!
    Years before this show, I actually went to Kleinfeld's with a friend who was dress shopping. It was very posh, and the service was excellent, even though we were definitely not their usual clientele, and even though her budget was nowhere near some of the ones you see on the show. 
  • edited February 2015
    My sister and I went to Kleinfeld's years ago (before the show) when she was getting married. We took one look at the rest of the women waiting for their appointments and hit the road!  

• I don't like it when the brides bring their brothers - who cares what your brother thinks of your wedding dress? And when the brothers pass opinions on the dresses being too hoochie or sexy - kinky & creepy!
  • I wonder how many of those brothers (and the rest of some of those entourages) would show up if they weren't going to be on tv!  
  • Cosmo said:
    I don't like it when the brides bring their brothers - who cares what your brother thinks of your wedding dress? And when the brothers pass opinions on the dresses being too hoochie or sexy - kinky & creepy!
    Yes!!! OMG. It's a combo of patriarchial horseshit and creepy sibling attraction. So gross.
  • Definitely a guilty pleasure for me.  I don't usually see it when it first runs, but then I'll binge on it with On Demand when I've nothing else to do.  

I'm always amazed at how much money some of these women will spend on incredibly ugly gowns and also at how bullying and controlling some of the bride's family members can be.    Rather like watching a train wreck.
  • edited February 2015
    I'm from the tri-state region and have lived in NYC for the past 7 years. Some of the gender politics on Atlanta hit me out of left field, because my friends and I just don't worry about the same issues. 

For example, one young bride's future sister-in-laws were so critical, that they were disgusted at a cream gown because their brother would "never marry someone who didn't wear a pure white dress and wasn't a virgin." What??