The Movie Anticipation Thread

Comments

• We'll probably see it too - I'm not expecting much but it looks fun.
  • Ah yes, I should clarify that I'm not dissing any of our myriad beautiful feline overlords--it's just Kevin Spacey's cat looks vaguely reminiscent of Daniel, but it's almost like those magazines where they show an outfit on a model (glamour! coordination! oooh!) and on a real person (still looks good, but that special "it" factor isn't there). That's how I feel about that feline actor. He's got the blue eyes and the fluff, but not the "it".
  • Just saw Bad Moms and it was so funny!
  • The new Ben-Hur is getting major bad buzz....(why remake it?)
  • Just saw Star Trek Beyond and really liked it. Better than the second one.
  • Sausage Party looks really funny and raunchy, and has a 100% rating at Rotten Tomatoes.  I must see it!
  • I saw Suicide Squad last night. It it high film? No. But I enjoyed it. And holy crap, Jared Leto and Margot Robie are INSANE. Two of the most talented actors of our generation, I think. 
    I have no interest in seeing the film, but I read about Jared's immersion into the role (as well as previous roles)...he apparently sent creepy gifts to fellow cast members prior to filming, and mostly stayed to himself and in character between takes.  The article also said that they had a psychiatrist on set to help with the actors; apparently they are more concerned now because of Heath Leger being so affected during The Dark Knight.
  • I liked Suicide Squad, but I feel like I would've liked it more with the "darker" stuff they cut after freaking out about the poor reviews of Batman v Superman.  I don't think I'll buy it.  Unless I see it for a dollar.
  • Just saw Suicide Squad and honestly can't see why critics have 'hated' it- was not bad (not 'great', I like Trek better) but enjoyable, I would be glad to sit thru a sequel). One thing bugged me tho- how were the letters from the daughter a) still in the pocket and b) dry? (they were in a huge rain storm (that makes it easier and cheaper to dress a set :))

I think the actress that played Harley def had her 'break out star moment' (like Leslie Jones in Ghostbusters). Nice to see Will Smith being kind of likable in a movie. As a fan of the comic I think Amanda Waller was miscast a tad (sorry, but why could they have not found/hired a big black woman (no meant to disparage) to play the roll? I think Ms Davis, while good, was a tad too....I don't know..small? not quite kick-ass enough? (and the poor woman playing Enchantress/other lady..ugh lol). Capt Boomerang could have been played by a cardboard cut out. Nice to see Ike Barinholt (sp?) getting so much work lately...seems to be popping up everywhere
  • I liked Suicide Squad, but I feel like I would've liked it more with the "darker" stuff they cut after freaking out about the poor reviews of Batman v Superman.  I don't think I'll buy it.  Unless I see it for a dollar.
    My husband said this. He said that if it'd stayed a hard R it'd probably be better, instead of toeing the line between dark and not so dark (there's a word for this and I don't remember what it is, lol) it needed to be one or the other. We probably won't see it; at least not in the first run theater. There's a 2nd run theater near us that we might go see it in if we feel the need. 
  • Ocean's Eight with Sandra Bullock and Cate Blanchett in the Clooney-Pitt roles. 

Mindy Kaling, Helena Bonham Carter (HBC!!!), Anne Hathaway, Rihanna and Awkwafina are reportedly signing on as well. 

I'd rather any combination of Leslie Jones, Viola Davis, Uzo Aduba, Laverne Cox, Danai Gurira or Lupita instead of Rihanna and Anne Hathaway, but that's just me. 
  • Along with the upcoming Ocean's female reboot of the 2001 reboot of the 1960 movie, I read where a reboot of The Mummy series is being filmed with Tom Cruise.  I'm no longer excited about the rehashing. I wonder if all the live tv musicals have spurred the idea of re-doing successful franchises, since we seem to be seeing more lately.
  • I found that the 2001 reboot of the original Ocean's movie was the rare instance where the reboot was better than the original, the 2nd one in the series sucked, but the 3rd one was just as strong as first. 

NOOOOO....PLEASE do not remake the Mummy with Tom Cruise. The first and the second, plus The Scorpion King spinoff (The Rock in a loincloth, YUM) are pure cheesy goodness and I lurve them just as they are. 
  • Just saw Suicide Squad and honestly can't see why critics have 'hated' it- was not bad (not 'great', I like Trek better) but enjoyable, I would be glad to sit thru a sequel). One thing bugged me tho- how were the letters from the daughter a) still in the pocket and b) dry? (they were in a huge rain storm (that makes it easier and cheaper to dress a set :))

I think the actress that played Harley def had her 'break out star moment' (like Leslie Jones in Ghostbusters). Nice to see Will Smith being kind of likable in a movie. As a fan of the comic I think Amanda Waller was miscast a tad (sorry, but why could they have not found/hired a big black woman (no meant to disparage) to play the roll? I think Ms Davis, while good, was a tad too....I don't know..small? not quite kick-ass enough? (and the poor woman playing Enchantress/other lady..ugh lol). Capt Boomerang could have been played by a cardboard cut out. Nice to see Ike Barinholt (sp?) getting so much work lately...seems to be popping up everywhere
    You don't think Margot Robbie (actress who played Harley) had her breakout role in Wolf of Wall Street? She got a lot of award noms for it.
  • Ah, did not see Wolf of Wall Street (sorry) might find it just to see for that reason...

I remember (many) years ago when I liked Tom Cruise- but a(nother) remake (eye rolls). Tom- please just stay in the closet, count your money...ugh.

I was just reading the reviews of Suicide Squad- did we see the same movie? I just didn't find it *that* bad.  was it "wonderful" no...at least I wanted to see it :) (the BvsS just looked so bad...couldn't imagine going...

Oh, saw a Guy Ritchie Sword movie preview? (king arthur?) the fact that I can't remember the name says I much I shuddered...looked GHASTLY... even the clips looked cliqued (sp?) blech blech blech.

debating the drive to go see Ab Fab- I have heard very very mixed reviews- any BK thoughts? (sigh, I live in the burbs...) this poor bear has to drive INTOWN to see something 'gay'..:( but I am sure the anti-Hillary movie is near by...

just love my little wed trips to the small theater with BIG COMFY leather chairs, wide armrest, bear sized seats, reclining chairs and $6 matinees :) (would like more trailers... I like when the trailers are so good they make you forget what movie you went to see :)

The new Tom Hanks movie looks intriguing...
  • @largishbearishAtlish, I enjoyed the AbFab movie and I say that as someone who has never seen the show. It is ridiculous, silly and fun. And probably even more fun if you are a fan of the show.
  • KarenFK said:
    @largishbearishAtlish, I enjoyed the AbFab movie and I say that as someone who has never seen the show. It is ridiculous, silly and fun. And probably even more fun if you are a fan of the show.
    yeah, I never really 'got' AbFab but looks like fun...(I also never got into Downton Abbey, there has been discussion of revoking my Queer Card (tm). I had to quote Armistead Maupin to keep it)
  • edited August 2016
    nolakent said:
    Along with the upcoming Ocean's female reboot of the 2001 reboot of the 1960 movie, I read where a reboot of The Mummy series is being filmed with Tom Cruise.  I'm no longer excited about the rehashing. I wonder if all the live tv musicals have spurred the idea of re-doing successful franchises, since we seem to be seeing more lately.
    A remake of the Ocean's movie, regardless of cast, excites me even less than watching grass grow. The mania to remake movies fatigues me.
    Then again, I just saw "Captain Fantastic", an original/indie flick, and wanted to throw things at the screen. It has some really strong performances, and poses questions about parenting, and the effects on the children. I just wish the writer/director had pushed himself to continue asking those questions rather than going for a more feelgood resolution.
    And, yes, there is a nude Viggo shot....
  • KarenFK said:
    @largishbearishAtlish, I enjoyed the AbFab movie and I say that as someone who has never seen the show. It is ridiculous, silly and fun. And probably even more fun if you are a fan of the show.
    yeah, I never really 'got' AbFab but looks like fun...(I also never got into Downton Abbey, there has been discussion of revoking my Queer Card (tm). I had to quote Armistead Maupin to keep it)
    If you never really cared for the show, I'd recommend staying far away from the movie. 
  • For all peoples uproar re Oceans 8 and the Ghostbusters I've heard nary a peep about this, the new Magnificent Seven. Didn't even know it was happening, saw a commercial for it last night.
  • So whats the next big super-hero movie coming up? When is Guardians 2 due out? (sounds like fun)
  • For all peoples uproar re Oceans 8 and the Ghostbusters I've heard nary a peep about this, the new Magnificent Seven. Didn't even know it was happening, saw a commercial for it last night.
    I've seen the commercial, looks like a remake with contemporary sensibilities in mind, and Denzel gets to be a cowboy.
    For those who haven't seen the original, it's pretty darn magnificent-great cast-Yul Brynner, Steve McQueen, James Coburn, Charles Bronson(pre-Death Wish), Horst Bucholz. And, as a bonus, it's a remake of The Seven Samurai! Remakes beget remakes.
  • I found an article from a year ago that listed 93, yes 93, movies that were in the works as reboots.  So, in addition to the ones we know (GB, Mag. 7, Oceans, Pete's Dragon, Dumbo, Ben Hur, The Mummy, etc.) get ready for The Craft, The Birds, The Fugitive, The Crow, The Blob, Cliffhanger, Cube, Flash Gordon, The Creature from the Black Lagoon, Escape from NY, Das Boot (re-booted Boot!), etc.  Oy! 
  • No Casablanca or Citizen Kane remake?
  • So whats the next big super-hero movie coming up? When is Guardians 2 due out? (sounds like fun)
    I think the next one is Thor: Ragnarok. 
  • Shelby said:
    So whats the next big super-hero movie coming up? When is Guardians 2 due out? (sounds like fun)
    No, it's Dr. Strange, this November.
  • Shelby said:
    So whats the next big super-hero movie coming up? When is Guardians 2 due out? (sounds like fun)
    Oh that's right! I keep forgetting about Dr. Strange. 
  • Shelby said:
    Shelby said:
    Yeah-- I have zero interest in Dr Strange. But in the past, it's been the Marvel movies I had no expectations for that have really surprised me (Captain America being the best example), so I expect I'll see it anyway. I am looking forward to Luke Cage on Netflix in November, though.
  • KarenFK said:
    Shelby said:
    Shelby said:
    Yeah-- I have zero interest in Dr Strange. But in the past, it's been the Marvel movies I had no expectations for that have really surprised me (Captain America being the best example), so I expect I'll see it anyway. I am looking forward to Luke Cage on Netflix in November, though.
    I wasn't interested in Dr. Strange either, but then I saw a trailer and it looks like "Marvel does Inception." Which I'm here for (despite thinking Inception was a visually stunning bit of nonsense). 

And also Tilda. 
    I've seen the commercial, looks like a remake with contemporary sensibilities in mind, and Denzel gets to be a cowboy.
    For those who haven't seen the original, it's pretty darn magnificent-great cast-Yul Brynner, Steve McQueen, James Coburn, Charles Bronson(pre-Death Wish), Horst Bucholz. And, as a bonus, it's a remake of The Seven Samurai! Remakes beget remakes.
    Well in the case of the Magnificent Seven it was okay since Seven Samurai was an ode to western through the samurai lens. So turning it into a western remake made sense. Of course it's ironic it was one of those spaghetti westerns