what are you picky about when shopping for clothes?

I tend to think I'm pretty picky when it comes to  shopping for clothes. here are some of the things, that to me, are deal breakers:

V necks, especially low v necks

pointless drawstrings that do nothing at all as in elasticised pants or pull over jersey tops

dressy tops that are gathered in front to look like drapery, always in a rayon fabric.

strapless garments(unless its a ball gown, its gonna look trashy)

jewelry attached to fronts of dressy blouses, usually at the neckline

poets sleeves,sleeves that hang down to catch on anything and everything and end up in the spaghetti sauce and sleeves with fancy large cuffs.

lame'.Silver or gold. nuff said. I don't know about you but the one night a year I could wear it and not look like a bimbo is new years eve,and only if I weighed 100 lbs soaking wet.

shiny fabric. shiny nylon fabric. I'm a big fan of cotton.

T shirts that have anything plastered across the chest,unless its Boston Bruins or Red sox, and no corner pockets please.I stopped being a man with a pack of marlboros since..no wait, Ive NEVER been a man with a pack of marlboros, so no need for corner pockets.

tie dye. sorry. I outgrew that back at the end of the 90s.

plus sized garments that are purposely printed with dreadful confusing colors and images, (like they used to do with baby high chairs pre 80s) swirls, giant flowers, geometric designs and a mess of unidentifiable objects
supposedly to draw attention away from the fact that there is a fat girl under it.(oh your caftan was so confusing i never noticed you were fat)I'm chronically fat so I can say that.

cutesy kittens or cartoon characters on t shirts and sweat shirts

shirts with collars( as in polo shirt type shirts)

anyone else?

Comments

• I love V-necks, but I'm also tall and broad with a round head - V-necks are smexy on me.

Dresses with defined waists - I am extremely long-waisted, and 95% of dresses that have an actual waist sit up on my lower ribcage. It is SO HARD, you guys, to find a semi-fitted dress that is not wrap or body-con that does not have a waist seam.

Women's trousers with no back pockets, fake back pockets, or back/front pockets that are literally two inches deep. WHY. Pockets are wonderful. I love pockets. Black trousers with a mid-rise, belt loops, and functional front and back pockets that are horizontal AND are not skinny/slim are my unicorn. (vertical/slanted pockets are Satan's way of laughing at bottom-heavy women like me.)

Flimsy t-shirt and tank top material that require a second layer. I realize this is intentional marketing, but it's too hot for that crap here in the south. Also, a consistent length - some years they barely pass my waist, some years they're almost down to my crotch. Mid-hip is a good thing. Please offer this length all the time.
  • Rayon. I understand its common office wear for tops and blouses. but I hate it.

Button and zipper shorts. Just give me some thigh length, soft, jersey knit elasticized, and I promise I'll buy a pallet full in every color.They will be covered anyway so no point in carrying on about how great they look.

colors of black,brown,tan, and navy blue, among the choices in summer tops and shorts. I have enough of that in my winter wardrobe. time for summer colors.

mexican inspired embroidered peasant blouses.Can't you just carry them in nice soft colored solids?

sock sets with a good color on top and black and white underneath those. No buying a whole set of a really great color.

• If I have to dry clean it or iron it, I better look SPECTACULAR in it. I am lazy.

Needs to do something that nothing in my closet already does. I've instituted this rule in the last couple of years once I realized I had what felt like ten of the same skirt silhouette and a bunch of dresses in similar prints.

I don't want to have to alter it at all. See above re: laziness. I'm 5'8" and although I don't have a perfect "off the rack" body, I can find enough clothes that don't have to be taken in or up or let out that I can be picky on that.
  • I stand there at the rack, and think about this..Can I alter this with my limited sewing skills without destroying it? Do I want to alter it? Do I want it that badly? Usually, the only items I'll attempt to alter would be thrift shop finds as I wouldn't be losing a whole lot of money if I did end up destroying the garment in the process. Dry cleaning? Ive never had a garment that required dry cleaning, that a cap ful of Woolite and a gentle cycle didn't take care of. I haven't ruined a garment yet.Even my 100% silk sheath dress that I wore for my last wedding in 2004 went in the gentle cycle.Hang to dry.Ive even done this for Cashmere sweaters, with no issues.As far as something doing something no other garment can do..I'm the opposite. If I find ONE top that I am madly in love with I want them all in my size, in every color. same with my winter leggings, The ones I have are the loose kind and its all I wear all winter long. No deciding which pair to wear, just pull the next one off the top. like underwear, and they have to be black. I don't want to think about what I'm wearing. Actually, The most important job of a garment is to make me forget I'm even wearing it. I want it to be that darn comfortable, yet attractive.so thats what I strive for, extreme comfort with a classy high quality look. Think loose sweaters of fine soft yarns and loose stretch pants underneath, with ballet flats, pretty much acceptable to wear everywhere.The look that will take you from the library, to the department store, to visit a friend, and back home again. (I dont work in an office environment so have no "career" clothes.)
  • Fabric. I'm an absolutely stickler about the grade of fabric they use. 
    I mostly buy used, looking for Italian cotton, Scottish Cashmere, Silk dresses and scarves, and wool coats (preferably vintage Pendleton).

• edited May 2015
    I love cotton. I avoid polyester, but polyester blends have been known to make it into my wardrobe. I love supima cotton (ll Bean has that,(please 35.00+ for a t-shirt? be serious) but can only afford it if I strike it lucky at the salvation army) I do love wool, soft wool, wool pea coats(of which I have 4) T shirts must be a quality cotton(Hanes,jockey for her or LL bean) crew neck,only, good solid colors of grey,black, or pastels) and without advertising of any kind.Jeans I'll buy at the Thrift shop if its a good name, and they button above my hips(no glitter).No V necks of any kind..I think they look awful on anybody.No orange, no bright yellow, no florals, no animals, no statements, no charity,radio station,rhinestones, glitter,I love my schnauzer(fill in breed of dog here) or marathon events(please) I generally go for solid colors with a very occasional print making it into my shopping basket and I will only consider long sleeves if the are snug fitting to the wrist or even better, the elbow. no swinging, loose poets sleeves.

• It fits
    Its not hideous
    I can afford it

oh wait, that is EVERY guys list isn't it? (and some folks assume I am straight...can you tell WHY now? (goes back to hide head in shame)
  • @firebirdsinger I am in that category, too.  I think my entire life I've owned two button-up shirts.  I really need to make myself a blouse pattern (I do own these skills but haven't used them, because, why?)

Other things I'm insanely picky about:

Plaids- they MUST match at the seams.  The only plaid clothes I own are either very old, because back in the day people actually cared about this, or I've made them myself.

Patterns in general- the pattern on the fabric cannot be too large or too small.  If it is supposed to look like a random repeat, I should not be able to see where the repeat seam is and the repeat should look random.  The colors should all be pleasant and go well together.  

Beige/khaki/off-white/bone/ivory- these colors are all hideous with my skin.  

Cheaply made clothes- $35 for a LL Bean Supima cotton t-shirt does not sound horrible to me @cookiegirl .  You know it's going to last a million years and feel even more amazing and soft the more you wash and wear it whereas the $5 crappy slave-picked short staple cotton T from H&M you'll be lucky to get a season out of.  I'm not willing to pay the high unseen costs for cheap stuff.  And cheap clothes just don't look good, IMHO.  

Fit- I'm a curvy girl, but clothes are designed, patterned, fit, and created for walking clothes hangers.

Due to these last two items, I don't own a ton of clothes.  My best items are things I've purchased in thrift stores.  I fill in with the occasional splurge from a boutique or Macy's or whatnot.  I do not sew for myself nearly enough, but I'm always happiest with the outcome when I do.  

• Fabric - natural fibers like cotton, silk, wool, cashmere.  I will make an exception once in a while if I really like the feel of it, but won't take the chance of ordering man made materials online, have to feel it in the store.

Fit - some things are easily altered, like pant and sleeve length and waistbands.  But honestly, I have so many clothes that anything I buy is not a "need" it's a "want" -  and I am fortunate to have a fairly easy to fit body (some items are tougher than others to find, but not impossible) - so it's got to fit or I move on.

It can't look cheap.  That doesn't mean I have to pay a lot for it, quality can be found at any price point.

Shorts have to have a 4 to 7 inch inseam.  No Bermudas, no bootie shorts.  I'm very picky about material and length of workout shorts - and they can't have that built in mesh panty thing.  Ugh.

Pants have to almost touch the floor without actually touching the floor if they have any width in the leg at all.  Skinny legged pants can be ankle length or slightly above.  Nothing that falls between the knee and lower calf. 

Pants and jeans have to make my butt look good.  That's their job.

• Jeans have to be denim(indigo?) blue, not white,red,orange,yellow or any other color. Socks have to be at least 3/4 length or they slide under my shoes.I don't wear shapewear so thats not an issue,underwear must be boyshorts,and cotton,cotton,cotton..

• LENGTH. I have a 34" inseam, so I have been fighting with my ankles since I was 12. If pants show even the barest hint of sock, they go back on the rack.

I refuse to buy sweaters that aren't 100% animal fiber. Acrylic is dead to me.

I have a weird aversion to visible labels on clothes. If the label can't be easily removed from jeans, I'm not buying them.

I won't buy t shirts with a tag. It's 2015, just print that nonsense on the inside of the shirt.

Socks have to be either fully to the knee or ankle socks, no crew socks and no half-ass "knee" socks. They're also always patterned or brightly colored, but just because I hate matching a load of white or black socks.

Only outerwear is allowed to be dry clean only.
  • Dry cleaning is a deal breaker.  Anything that requires a lot of ironing is out, too.  I am a no-maintenance kind of girl, and if it can't come out of the dryer read to wear, I am not interested.

Shorts that are not basically panties.  I'm sorry, but not everything needs to have a 2 inch, or even a 3.5 inch, inseam.  I was really pleased when Bermuda length came back a couple of years ago, but now they seem much harder to find that aren't also skin tight.

Comfort.  Life is too short to wear things that are too short, too tight, pinch in weird places, or make my feet hurt.  I wear sandals as long as I can realistically get away with, boots or Uggs all winter (don't care if they're ugly), and flats in between.

Fit.  Sort of an offshoot of comfort, I suppose.
  • 1. Does it fit, and can I afford it? Because clothes for fatties don't come cheap.
    2. Quite specifically, can I fit my boobs into it?
    3. Does it otherwise suit my utilitarian goth aesthetic? Solid black, no frills or silly bits?
    4. Does it wash well?
  • edited May 2015
    Decent, proper lining in garments that are supposed to hold a shape.  I have lots of preferences, but that's the one I'll scrimp and save in order to buy out of my usual price range for.
  • will it feel good?
    will I love wearing this?
    will I have to alter it in any way?Can it be dyed?
    CAN I alter this without destroying the structure?(dying a garment as I post this)
    is the price reasonable for the fabric,color and name?
    Do I want it bad enough to spend the money?
    Do I have too many of these allready?(T-shirts)
    How likely will it be that Im actually going to wear this somewhere?

• Is it black, is it a natural fibre, does it fit.
  • Can it be worn to work and out socially?
    Where is it made?  I'm an ethical shopper and try to avoid sweat shop labor produced goods. 
    Does it fit?
    It is natural fiber and of good quality?

• No decorative glitter, flowers, beads,bows,buttons,elastics,breast pockets, collars,animals, breast cancer ribbons, frills or ties and zippers that aren't functional.
  • I love cotton. I avoid polyester, but polyester blends have been known to make it into my wardrobe. I love supima cotton (ll Bean has that,(please 35.00+ for a t-shirt? be serious) but can only afford it if I strike it lucky at the salvation army) I do love wool, soft wool, wool pea coats(of which I have 4) T shirts must be a quality cotton(Hanes,jockey for her or LL bean) crew neck,only, good solid colors of grey,black, or pastels) and without advertising of any kind.Jeans I'll buy at the Thrift shop if its a good name, and they button above my hips(no glitter).No V necks of any kind..I think they look awful on anybody.No orange, no bright yellow, no florals, no animals, no statements, no charity,radio station,rhinestones, glitter,I love my schnauzer(fill in breed of dog here) or marathon events(please) I generally go for solid colors with a very occasional print making it into my shopping basket and I will only consider long sleeves if the are snug fitting to the wrist or even better, the elbow. no swinging, loose poets sleeves.

Haha, I'm wearing a bright yellow v-neck right now. :) To each her own.
  • I love v neck, cowl neck and square necklines, they look great on me, @cookiegirl whereas crew neck looks awful. It really depends on your body shape.    

I love a fit and flare dress sillouhette too, works great with my body shape. 

• Yes, so much of this is about body type, but also about our quirks!

For me, I refuse to buy crew neck t-shirts because they make me feel choked -- I hate having clothes touch the soft spot between my collarbones.  I also think scoop and v necklines are more flattering to my large bust.  And I flat-out refuse to wear standard t-shirts (the ones that are for either men or women), because they're too baggy.  If I get an event shirt, I'll alter it into a v-neck, form-fitting t-shirt or tunic.

I wear a lot of tank tops, but spaghetti straps, halters, and racerbacks are a no-go.  I have to be able to wear a real bra and at least pretend I intended to have it not show.

At 26 weeks pregnant, I'm now starting to think about having to rework my wardrobe to be able to nurse a baby (and deal with a postpartum flabby belly).  A lot more things are going to wind up on my "can't wear that" list. :(
  • I love the look of skater dresses but, one must possess a very young, cute and fit figure to pull it off. love swing dresses, pintucked camis, and flowy short,casual summer dresses for hot days around the house and/or pool/beach, paired with casual strappy sandals the look is fabulous for a hot summer night at the beach

• edited May 2015

• I cannot wear halterneck clothing because the pressure on the back of my neck gives me headaches. I had to stop wearing necklaces too. Sort of a princess and the pea dilemma
  • I love the look of skater dresses but, one must possess a very young, cute and fit figure to pull it off.

I couldn't disagree more - I think skater dresses are really cute on really voluptuous and rounded women.
  • I love the look of skater dresses but, one must possess a very young, cute and fit figure to pull it off.

I couldn't disagree more - I think skater dresses are really cute on really voluptuous and rounded women.
    Agreed.  The silhouette works on many body types, I've seen in in the women's dept and plus size, not just juniors.  
    Vintage, rockabilly styles use this silhouette too often.  
  • I love cotton. I avoid polyester, but polyester blends have been known to make it into my wardrobe. I love supima cotton (ll Bean has that,(please 35.00+ for a t-shirt? be serious) but can only afford it if I strike it lucky at the salvation army) I do love wool, soft wool, wool pea coats(of which I have 4) T shirts must be a quality cotton(Hanes,jockey for her or LL bean) crew neck,only, good solid colors of grey,black, or pastels) and without advertising of any kind.Jeans I'll buy at the Thrift shop if its a good name, and they button above my hips(no glitter).No V necks of any kind..I think they look awful on anybody.No orange, no bright yellow, no florals, no animals, no statements, no charity,radio station,rhinestones, glitter,I love my schnauzer(fill in breed of dog here) or marathon events(please) I generally go for solid colors with a very occasional print making it into my shopping basket and I will only consider long sleeves if the are snug fitting to the wrist or even better, the elbow. no swinging, loose poets sleeves.

I wear my Boston Strong shirt with pride.  Yes, I am from here and walk by the finish line every day.  If don't know what I am referring to, google it. 

Sometimes event shirts, charity shirts, etc hold meaning for those who are wearing them.  Just cause they are not your thing, don't judge others.  
  • please dont take it personally.

• Hermione said:
    I love cotton. I avoid polyester, but polyester blends have been known to make it into my wardrobe. I love supima cotton (ll Bean has that,(please 35.00+ for a t-shirt? be serious) but can only afford it if I strike it lucky at the salvation army) I do love wool, soft wool, wool pea coats(of which I have 4) T shirts must be a quality cotton(Hanes,jockey for her or LL bean) crew neck,only, good solid colors of grey,black, or pastels) and without advertising of any kind.Jeans I'll buy at the Thrift shop if its a good name, and they button above my hips(no glitter).No V necks of any kind..I think they look awful on anybody.No orange, no bright yellow, no florals, no animals, no statements, no charity,radio station,rhinestones, glitter,I love my schnauzer(fill in breed of dog here) or marathon events(please) I generally go for solid colors with a very occasional print making it into my shopping basket and I will only consider long sleeves if the are snug fitting to the wrist or even better, the elbow. no swinging, loose poets sleeves.

Haha, I'm wearing a bright yellow v-neck right now. :) To each her own.

ok im going to stop posting in this type of thread because too many people are taking things too personally.

• 1. I have an hourglass figure. Bigger boobs, small waist, bigger badonka donk. I've always had trouble with pants or jeans. If it fits in the waist, it's too tight in the butt. If it fits the butt, it's too big in the waist.
    2. I have a long torso and short legs. Capris that are supposed to end a bit below the knee on regular folk end up just above my ankle. Looks ridiculous.
    3. I hate buttons, so the less of them the better.
    4. No visible bras. I have several white pheasant type blouses that I have to wear a white cami under because of the sheer fabric.
    5. While I love empire waist dresses on everyone else, they look horrible on me.