Fine haired Kittens

edited February 2015 in Fashion & Beauty
Can you relate to 12 Things Everyone With Fine Hair Will Understand? Me too! I'd love to hear the BK's styling tips, favorite products and stories of living with fine hair.

Comments

• I couldn't seem to click your link, but I googled the phrase and found that I pretty much agreed with a lot of what was said. 

Generally, I am lazy. I have a total of three hairstyles that I use everyday, because I am lazy. I put my hair in a bun. I put it in a ponytail. Or I wear it down (usually this). I blow-dry it upside down, and then I tie it up in a bun on top of my head, which means that when I take it down, I have fabulous looking volume for approximately 1 minute. Then it is over.

Part of the reason I don't have much volume is that I am generally reluctant to try volumizing products, because my hair has two great qualities that I don't want to diminish: it is very, very soft and nice to touch, and it is perfectly blonde. Products tend to make my hair feel worse or darken it, neither of which are desirable. 

So, what do I do if I want to have an elaborate hairstyle? Maybe once a year, I will go full-crazy and do a pink faux hawk. I back comb up the middle, spray with the Got2B glued hairspray, and then spray it pink with that Walgreens stuff. I use bobby pins and ponytail holders to make it stay in the middle. If I have to have a more formal hairstyle, I tend to get someone more skilled than me to do fancy braids of some kind- if there's something I can rely on my hair to do, it's braid extremely easily. My hair will stay in braids for days.

My old standbys are the Aussie Awesome Volume Shampoo and Conditioner, as well as the Aussie 3 minute miracle. I use the 3 minute miracle on my ends and the conditioner on my roots. The conditioner is light enough that I'm not greasy at the end of the day. Nowadays, I use Lush's Marilyn hair treatment once a week to protect it from all the blow-drying I've done lately. I've also been trying out their shampoos and conditioners. So far, nothing has really worked better than the Aussie stuff, but it works just as well and smells good. I'm not sure if that's worth the price for all of them, but I'll figure that out later. The Lush products I've tried are the Big shampoo (this one lasts a pretty long time, so it's not a bad deal), a sample of the dry shampoo (apparently I've been doing dry shampoo wrong, so maybe I'll give this another shot), the Big solid conditioner (smells AMAZING, is a little hard to use, runs out pretty quickly, but is a great travel conditioner since it's not liquid), and Veganese conditioner (smells good, runs out a little too fast for the price). I'm running out of conditioner right now, so I think I might get the Big one again.

If anyone has recommendations for volumizers that really work and don't have the problems I cite above, I'd love to hear them. I've given up on making my hair curly, but I'd still love to get more volume. What are your favorite products, and how do you use them?
  • Oops, fixed the link. Thanks!
  • My hair has been thinning a lot in the last two years because I've been losing a lot of weight.  I recently started taking a vitamin with lots of Biotin in it (5,000 mg), which has made a big difference in the hair loss department.  It's from Puritan's Pride.  While I'm still dealing with a fair amount of breakage from when my hair wasn't getting as much nourishment, it's stopped coming out at the roots.

I've also started using the shampoo from L'Oreal for volume, which has been working as well.  Luckily, I have a bit of natural curl, so I get help with body there.  The women in my mom's family tend to have their hair get thin, so I'm seriously considering women's Rogaine, but it's really expensive.  I've only been doing the vitamins for about a month, so we'll see if that helps enough or if I bite the bullet and spend the money.

My hair does get very dry (it's almost waist length), so I use argan oil styling products (from Sally Beauty in brown bottles).  I use the pure oil mixed with the curl cream and it helps.
  • Well, I have fine hair, but I have a TON of it.  It's also curly.  So I get plenty of volume, just not always where I want it.  I am forever battling what I call Cocker Spaniel Ears (flat on top curly on the sides).  The OGX Root Boost and then pineappling helps.  I have dark hair so I don't know about the darkening, but it doesn't make it hard.  
  • That list. I had a friend who had very thick, straight hair and she complained she just couldn't do anything, ie messy updos, with it. Her bob always looked too perfect. Grrrrrrrrrr. Not even hat hair in the wintertime.

I've had short hair the past few years and I used Redken Powder Grip on the roots to give it volume. It works great but it doesn't feel great and like algunarubia, I like it when my hair feels soft. Or put it this way, when a hair stylist uses it, ie with restraint, it's perfect. When I try it at home, I use too much and I get my fingers tangled up in my hair if I touch it.
  • Ugh, everything on that list. Seriously.

I use the Conair Pro Spin hair dryer every time I dry my hair, and it has changed my life. Seriously amazing, and it gives me as close to a blowout at home as I'll ever get, without the whole hair dryer in one hand, brush in the other nonsense. John Freida's Luxurious Volume Touchably Full line has also really helped, specifically their Fine to Full blowout spray that I use on damp hair before using my hair dryer. It also leaves my hair really, really soft.

I've also stopped dyeing my hair blonde, which sucks.
  • My hair is very fine and curly, so I'm constantly battling bald spots.  I've grown very fond of X-fusion fibers.  Has anyone ever tried Viviscal?
  • My hair has been thinning a lot in the last two years because I've been losing a lot of weight.  I recently started taking a vitamin with lots of Biotin in it (5,000 mg), which has made a big difference in the hair loss department.  It's from Puritan's Pride.  While I'm still dealing with a fair amount of breakage from when my hair wasn't getting as much nourishment, it's stopped coming out at the roots.

I've also started using the shampoo from L'Oreal for volume, which has been working as well.  Luckily, I have a bit of natural curl, so I get help with body there.  The women in my mom's family tend to have their hair get thin, so I'm seriously considering women's Rogaine, but it's really expensive.  I've only been doing the vitamins for about a month, so we'll see if that helps enough or if I bite the bullet and spend the money.

My hair does get very dry (it's almost waist length), so I use argan oil styling products (from Sally Beauty in brown bottles).  I use the pure oil mixed with the curl cream and it helps.
    My hair started to come out in handfuls when I was going through a very stressful time.   I've now been on a multi vitamin that has 5,000 mcg and I also take Biosil, Omega 3, and Evening Primrose oil.  It's really helped with shedding and I (and my stylist) can feel how much denser my hair now is at the roots. 
  • My first thought was "Don't all kittens have fine hair" but you're not talking a baby cats; the kittens are of the Bitter Kitten variety.  My hair may not be that fine (not coarse either) but it is getting thin in spots.  I can't totally relate to the sunburned scalp. Mine seems to be permanently red.  The styling stuff I'm currently using does seem to help with the appearance of thinning around my part, though.

I'll have to try the supplements.  I've got a friend that swears by Puritan's Pride.
  • I will testify for Biotin. I used to have fairly strong nails then came The Pause. My nails started to split and ridge. I've been taking 2500mg Biotin daily for three months now. The splitting has stopped and my fine hair is thicker.
  • Ugh, everything on that list. Seriously.

I use the Conair Pro Spin hair dryer every time I dry my hair, and it has changed my life. Seriously amazing, and it gives me as close to a blowout at home as I'll ever get, without the whole hair dryer in one hand, brush in the other nonsense. John Freida's Luxurious Volume Touchably Full line has also really helped, specifically their Fine to Full blowout spray that I use on damp hair before using my hair dryer. It also leaves my hair really, really soft.

I've also stopped dyeing my hair blonde, which sucks.
    Is it possible for you to explain exactly how you go about using the Conair? I'm intrigued, but I'm also a little bemused.
  • Lol, that list.  I can relate to the massive shedding and the 15 minute curl.  I don't bother styling my hair because it does nothing, so I'm a big fan of the light breeze.  If your hair is long, the wind blowing through it can make it sound like tiny wind chimes.  The static thing only happens in the winter, but I haven't experienced that in a few years.

What gets to me that she didn't mention are the many haircuts that will never in a million years work on my fine, thin, straight, fluffy-when-short hair.  Thankfully my hair guy is a genius and a true artist.  Eddy always cuts my hair in a way that requires minimal styling and allows it to grow out without that pesky awkward phase.

Generally, I rather love my well-tended mane of touchably soft hair.  When it's long, like it is now, it does absolutely nothing and is so thoroughly boring as to be a bit depressing.  But people love my hair and are not shy about telling me, so thankfully I've never felt like it was inadequate.

I don't have styling tips but do have interesting observations.  One item of note is that since I started using Lush shampoos (currently using Soak & Float, I Love Juicy, Rose Jam), my hair grows slightly thicker and I no longer need conditioner.  It holds the braid dents longer too.  I haven't tried curling my hair in years and wonder if I can get a 20 minute curl at this point.  I suppose that's something to try in the future, when I am not lazy.  The other observation is that silk/satin on a pillow helps prevent nighttime hair breakage.  I don't have as many fly-aways since I've started placing a silk scarf on my pillow at night.  I also lined my bedtime jacket hood with material from an old silk shirt for colder nights.  It's only been two months since I started that and the difference is almost alarming.  Wish I had started ages ago.
  • The problem I have is that I have fine hair, but there's a lot of it (notwithstanding the stress related hair loss I'm recovering from), and it's curly/dry.   Bumble and bumble discontinued my beloved Leave In/Rinse Out conditioner, and it was perfect for my hair.  So perfect in fact, I was using it for over 10 years!   I'm now on the hunt for a conditioner that provides just the right amount of conditioning.  Most everything is too heavy or too light. 
  • Scarlet said:
    The problem I have is that I have fine hair, but there's a lot of it (notwithstanding the stress related hair loss I'm recovering from), and it's curly/dry.   Bumble and bumble discontinued my beloved Leave In/Rinse Out conditioner, and it was perfect for my hair.  So perfect in fact, I was using it for over 10 years!   I'm now on the hunt for a conditioner that provides just the right amount of conditioning.  Most everything is too heavy or too light. 
    I'm a recent convert to Ouidad Leave In
  • Score one for the thrifty!

Tried Garnier Root Amp Spray Mousse. Damp hair, touch of very light antifrizz, and followed directions. Great lift, all day! All day!

And, next day, woke up with JBF looking hair that I smoothed and had a no wash day.

(Fine, curly, shoulder length)
  • I have fine, thin hair and nothing makes much of a difference but I do like the Big Sexy Hair volumizer and a good hairspray to try and make any lift I can manage stay put. I've also found that products seem to work better for me if I don't use them every day but that could just be my imagination. I'm interested in trying that Conair hair dryer though.
  • Scarlet said:
    The problem I have is that I have fine hair, but there's a lot of it (notwithstanding the stress related hair loss I'm recovering from), and it's curly/dry.   Bumble and bumble discontinued my beloved Leave In/Rinse Out conditioner, and it was perfect for my hair.  So perfect in fact, I was using it for over 10 years!   I'm now on the hunt for a conditioner that provides just the right amount of conditioning.  Most everything is too heavy or too light. 
    I have the same type of hair you do and I switched from leave in condition to pure organic Argain Oil, I get my mine from ISA Professional .

A little of this oil goes a very long way, since it comes with a dropper I've been adding it to my regular conditioner and its awesome. Im also using it to keep my the sole of my feet from cracking and it actually works, you really have to let your feet dry though because it is an oil after all.