Best meatloaf ever

2»

Comments

• edited May 2016
    Haven't made the meatloaf yet.  But from reading reviews of Barefoot Contessa recipes over the years, I know her salt amounts are problematic for a lot of people, @TravelingDesign.  They've mostly worked for me; I always use Diamond Crystal Kosher salt, as she recommends.  Will cross-post this link on the Cooking Tips thread because it's really helpful:

Smitten Kitchen: Not all salts are created equally.

Most people understand that there's a big difference in the saltiness of table salt/fine sea salt and Kosher salt.  But what I learned from Smitten Kitchen is that there's also an appreciable difference between the Diamond Kosher salt and Morton Kosher salt!  Morton tastes saltier, and I think a lot of people buy Morton because it's just easier to find in regular grocery stores these days.

("1 teaspoon fine sea or table salt = roughly 1 1/4 teaspoons Morton’s kosher salt = roughly 1 3/4 teaspoons Diamond Crystal kosher salt")

• edited May 2016
    I do use Diamond kosher salt (the recipe calls for kosher salt). I will say that I used to be a salt addict and I've all but stopped using it except for a sprinkle here and there.  Maybe that's it? 
  • I will say that I used to be a salt addict and I've all but stopped using it except for a sprinkle here and there.  Maybe that's it? 
    @TravelingDesign ;  That's probably it – because Ina's recipes are certainly never low in salt. :)

Congrats on reducing your salt intake.  (I fear I'm heading in the opposite direction these days...they say the taste-buds start to go with age, and people reach for the salt to compensate...!  Yikes.)
  • I will say that I used to be a salt addict and I've all but stopped using it except for a sprinkle here and there.  Maybe that's it? 
    @TravelingDesign ;  That's probably it – because Ina's recipes are certainly never low in salt. :)

Congrats on reducing your salt intake.  (I fear I'm heading in the opposite direction these days...they say the taste-buds start to go with age, and people reach for the salt to compensate...!  Yikes.)

If it's a dish that can take a little acid, some vinegar or citrus juice added at the end they work synergistically and you should be able to cut down the salt at the table.