Misheard Song Lyrics

13»

Comments

• Ha, even Starbucks agrees with me/us.
  • I am totally blown away by this news about Peter Gabriel NOT signing "she's so popular!" I never knew those weren't the correct lyrics until just now reading this thread. That's a 35 year long mistake for me.
  • The Rolling Stones: "Tumbling Dice"

Misheard: Macaroni

Actual: Got to roll me

• So, I'm not a huge Steve Winwood fan.  I know he had a song named "Valerie"

Until this morning, I thought that when he sang the lyric/title "The Finer Things," he was saying Valerie.

Checked on YouTube and I recognize both songs, but never heard them in close enough proximity to realize it was two different songs.  

*mind blown*  (not really)
  • Now... I know the correct lyric... but karaoke is MUCH more fun when its "Take me baby, from behind"

(ICYDK: Britney Spears, "hit me baby, one more time")

I like your lyric much better than the original.
  • Woke up to this one today:

It's the End of the World As We Know It by R.E.M. 

Heard: And turn 'em in and turn 'em in and turn 'em into flies... 

Actual: A tournament a tournament a tournament of lies... 

I was corrected many years ago, but I like my way better.
  • I feel like any misconstrued REM lyrics should be forgiven :)

Also, foreign language gaffes! TRICKSTERS!!  ;)

I am soooo happy I have no idea what y'all are talking about re: Taylor S & Starbucks

• This isn't exactly misheard, but seems appropriate for this thread. I was riding in car with teenage son yesterday. "Walk this way" comes on the radio. And then the line about the kitty in the middle swinging like you just don't care . . . yes, The Boy actually said "I don't see how you could get a cat on a swing." And, because he tends to be a motor mouth, he just kept going about different cats he knew, and their respective likelihood to be lured onto a swingset. I had to glance over carefully to see if he was being silly (because he will tell me wildly inappropriate jokes from time to time--it's not like he's sheltered), but, uh, no. 
  • Moonage Daydream by David Bowie

Actual: Keep your mouth shut, you're squawking like a pink monkey bird
    What I heard when I was a kid: Keep your mouth shut, you're looking like a pink monkey butt

• Qitkat said:
    nolakent said:
    I just sang along to Seals & Croft's "Summer Breeze" on the radio, and thought i might possibly be singing the wrong lyrics.  Yep!
    Actual lyrics:  "blowing through the jasmine in my mind"
    My version: "growing like the chasm in my mind"
    (My friends might argue that my lyrics are appropriate for me, but that's beside the point!)
    Ha! I always understood the actual lyrics, but always thought I heard them wrong, as it still doesn't make sense to me. Poetic license I suppose. I like yours better!
    I always thought it was jasmine too. Poetically it made sense to me. Like the scent of jasmine was blowing through my mind like a summer breeze. Made total sense to me.
  • Remembered this one from the '90s

Song: INXS Elegantly Wasted

Misheard: I'm better than Oasis

Actual: I'm elegantly wasted
  • You had it right :)
  • Rolling Stones...

When you're sitting there in your self upholstered chair...

obviously written for Mick's overweight girlfriend.
  • Gemfemme said:
    Love this thread! Def Leopard's Rock Of Ages: Misheard- It's better with a birddog. Actual- It's better to burn out. Bruno Mars and Mark Ronson's Uptown Funk: Misheard- Smoother than a bathhouse chippy. (Yeah, I know it makes no damn sense. I just assumed it was some hip slang) Actual- Gotta kiss myself I'm so pretty.

@Gemfemme, are you sure that line isn't the "Smoother than a fresh dry skippy" one? I always thought it was "Smoother than a fresh jar of Skippy" until I looked it up right now, and now I don't know what a fresh dry skippy is and I'm vaguely annoyed.  :-D

• @Anna_P I had a friend who always sang "Addicted to Love" as "Might as well face it, it's your dick that's in love."
    New favorite!
  • I'm sure this was everyone, but "I'm your penis, I'm your fire, what's your desire?"
  • Thank you for resurrecting this thread, that is all...
  • I'm sure this was everyone, but "I'm your penis, I'm your fire, what's your desire?"

Count me in on this one, for sure.
  • After singing (loudly, confidently) "If I showed you my floors" from the song "Locked Away" (by Rock City/Adam Levine), a friend informed me that it's "flaws", not "floors"!
  • MiamiGal said:
    Peter Gabriel

Games without Frontiers

Misheard:  She's So Popular
    Actual: Jeux sans Frontier
    I always thought that's what that was too!

Mine is from "Blinded by the Light" and isn't the one people usually talk about:

Real lyric: And little Early-Pearly came by in his curly-wurly and asked me if I needed a ride
    I heard: And then a little early birdie gave my anus curly whirly and asked me if I needed a ride
  • @drsweetie ; To quote George Takai, "Oh, Myyyy!"
  • This past weekend I found out that the Jethro Tull song is "Bungle in the Jungle," not "Rumble in the Jungle." I was singing what I thought was the chorus of the song "Well, there's a rumble in the jungle, and that's alright by me" and my husband started laughing. He thought I was joking, but that was legitimately what I thought was being sung . He then told me what the real lyric was and had me look at the lyrics online...that song has a whole new meaning now. I seriously just thought it was about a fight in the jungle!