Weekend breakfast/brunch

So kittens, are you weekend breakfast at home with the family in PJs, out to brunch with friends.  Have a favorite.  Pancakes, waffles, French toast?  Something savory? Boozy?

I'll start, I've recently become obsessed with making pancakes, regular, buttermilk, whole wheat, cornmeal it doesn't matter.  If I have fresh blueberries even better.  I don't get out to brunch much lately but if the opportunity arises I won't pass on Eggs Benedict and a Bloody Mary.
Since i had buttermilk in the fridge and wasn't feeling patient enough for pancakes I baked a buttermilk coffee cake with blackberries served with a mug of cinnamon hot cocoa.image

Comments

• That looks gorgeous!

We tend to only eat 2 meals on a weekend - a brunchy thing and an evening meal. Today we were just picking on leftover meatloaf, but I might make pancakes, or omelettes, or do an old-school full English on a weekend.
  • I do like going out for brunch, but usually make breakfast at home. I have a piece of toast with peanut butter and banana an hour before I head out for my run and when I get back, I make some kind of veggie omelet. Sometimes I'll do some roast potatoes with it if it was a long or hard workout.

Post-race breakfasty type meal, is a whole other story. I eat all the things I've been dreaming about: eggs benedict, bacon, hash browns or if I'm in the mood for something sweet, nutella crepes.
  • If there's a big English soccer game on, I will make breakfast for my husband and stepson- usually eggs, bacon and biscuits. Other weekends we may take our dogs for a hike and then hit a restaurant with a dog friendly patio for brunch. My current favorite restaurant brunch is crab cakes Benedict with a mimosa.
  • My favorite going out to breakfast these days is to Rudy's Can't Fail Cafe in Emeryville where I order the Rude & Reckless breakfast (what's not to love about a diner and a dish named after Clash song lyrics).

The Rude & Reckless is Eggs Benedict but with hash browns instead of an english muffin. It is amazing. I also have a large cranberry juice. 

Alternatively, Salami and Eggs (scrambled eggs with soft, kosher beef salami mixed in). The place I get it here is trying to be upscale and serves it with home fries, but the place I like to get it in LA is a proper diner/coffee shop (the kind of place the cops and firemen go for breakfast) and they serve it with the best hash browns I have ever tasted (the salami and eggs there are also twice the size and half the cost of the "deli" in Berkeley where I have to get it here at home).

Ok -- now I am really hungry.

If I am eating at home I have toast and yogurt most days whether it's the weekend or a week day.
  • KarenFK said:
    My favorite going out to breakfast these days is to Rudy's Can't Fail Cafe in Emeryville where I order the Rude & Reckless breakfast (what's not to love about a diner and a dish named after Clash song lyrics).

The Rude & Reckless is Eggs Benedict but with hash browns instead of an english muffin. It is amazing. I also have a large cranberry juice. 

Alternatively, Salami and Eggs (scrambled eggs with soft, kosher beef salami mixed in). The place I get it here is trying to be upscale and serves it with home fries, but the place I like to get it in LA is a proper diner/coffee shop (the kind of place the cops and firemen go for breakfast) and they serve it with the best hash browns I have ever tasted (the salami and eggs there are also twice the size and half the cost of the "deli" in Berkeley where I have to get it here at home).

Ok -- now I am really hungry.

If I am eating at home I have toast and yogurt most days whether it's the weekend or a week day.

Rudy's is fun, it was pretty hipsterish last time I was there. I haven't done brunch/breakfast I usually do a burger or one of the daily specials.
  • edited March 2016
    @GraziDiMenti -- we always go early Sunday morning when the hipsters are still asleep. 
  • KarenFK said:
    @GraziDiMenti -- we always go early when the hipsters are still asleep. 

Clever
  • KarenFK said:
    That sounds delicious! I've been craving Eggs Benedict lately, but never would've thought to use hash browns in place of the english muffin....I'd rather have hash browns any day of the week!! I'm jotting this idea down for a breakfast-for-dinner meal =).
  • I do a mean stuffed french toast...
  • I baked an apple spice coffee cake and then I remembered I had some left over asparagus et voilà, a yummy omelet and coffee cake for brunch.image
  • Damn, @GraziDiMenti!  Everything you show us looks perfect AND delicious.
  • Sekhmet6 said:
    Damn, @GraziDiMenti!  Everything you show us looks perfect AND delicious.

Well of course I only photograph/share the things that look nice. I have many, many uninspired meals. Thank you. I was really happy how that came together, having some fun ingredients to throw in the omelet.
  • I think the plate/napkin is a bit 'busy', a simpler plate might maybe show off the food more?
  • I think the plate/napkin is a bit 'busy', a simpler plate might maybe show off the food more?

I know, it just feels cheerful this way and I'm only doing it to make myself happy. If I was food blogging or feeding anyone else I would do much simpler plating. I was sort of surprised that I had such a nice brunch without any planning.

I know, it just feels cheerful this way and I'm only doing it to make myself happy. If I was food blogging or feeding anyone else I would do much simpler plating. I was sort of surprised that I had such a nice brunch without any planning.
    It looks lovely. And to be honest, as a food blogger we're looking for some nice patterned plates because it's fucking hard to take good photos on plain white!
  • maybe just the colored rim? (to show the food off better) I like a bit of 'pop' on a plate color wise (white looks so "we bought 5,000 of these for 14$!)
  • The problem with white is actually technical for getting the exposure right - tends to blow out your pictures. 
  • edited March 2016
    I love cheerful plates! And I need the recipe for that apple cake stat, por favor.

It's from the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook it's the Buttermilk Coffee Cake. I would add 1 small diced, granny Smith apples on top of the batter then put the crumble topping (I didn't have any nuts so I substituted rolled oats. 
     Buttermilk Coffee Cake Ingredients 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 1 cup packed brown sugar 1/3 cup butter or margarine 1 teaspoon baking powder 1/4 teaspoon baking soda 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg 1/2 cup buttermilk or sour milk* 1 egg, beaten 1/3 cup chopped nuts (optional) Directions Preheat oven to 375F. Grease an 8x8x2-inch baking pan; set aside. In a medium bowl stir together flour and brown sugar. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Reserve 1/2 cup of the crumb mixture to sprinkle over batter. Stir baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg into remaining crumb mixture. In a small bowl combine buttermilk and egg; add to crumb mixture, stirring just until moistened. Spoon batter evenly into prepared baking pan. If desired, stir nuts into reserved crumb mixture; sprinkle over batter. Bake in the preheated oven about 25 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool slightly. Serve warm. Makes 9 servings. This seems like the same recipe, just modified for a different pan size.
  • Husbeast has requested croissants and jam for this weekend's indulgent breakfast... I bought both in. The jam is lovely - a mixture of hedgerow fruits, nice & tart.
  • Husbeast has requested croissants and jam for this weekend's indulgent breakfast... I bought both in. The jam is lovely - a mixture of hedgerow fruits, nice & tart.
    I don't know the term 'hedgerow fruits'- what are they? thanks!
  • Fruits that grow wild in British hedgerows! Usually a combination of crabapples, blackberries, sloes, damsons and rosehips. 
  • @foodycatAlicia LOL. Without Google your answer was almost as mystifying as the original hedgerow fruit. I had to look up sloes and damsons.
  • Oh dear... I didn't realise they were so specifically British!
  • Was it Mark Twain that said two countries divided by a common language?

I think here we say the type of fruit after the variety, ie Damson plum, Bing cherry, etc  

• We'd generally do that too - but damsons are so unlike normal plums that it's not really helpful and they just get called damsons!
  • @foodycatAlicia LOL. Without Google your answer was almost as mystifying as the original hedgerow fruit. I had to look up sloes and damsons.

Glad I wasn't the only one! Only knew 2 of the 5.
  • On a normal weekend I poach myself an egg and have it on toast with cheese. 

For brunches, my go-to dish is Smitten Kitchen's Baked Ranchero Eggs. They are to die for.

• I had delicious avocado toast w smoked salmon and a side of fresh fruit this morning; it was delicious and felt wonderfully healthy.
  • nolakent said:
    I had delicious avocado toast w smoked salmon and a side of fresh fruit this morning; it was delicious and felt wonderfully healthy.
    That sounds absolutely wonderful!