Yet another hair-raising memoir!

I just whipped through The Sound of Gravel by Ruth Wariner. It's her story of growing up in a polygamous Mormon family. Riveting! If you liked Glass Castle, you will probably like this as well. 

Comments

• Oooo, that's a book for me! Looking for it now. I just finished a biography on Jackie, so I need something not quite so refined.
    Then this will be perfect - there is absolutely nothing refined about it!
  • If you love hair-raising memoirs, you should read the biographies of Eva Peron or of Burmese democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi; each was known for her chignon!   (sorry, I am stuck with the weirdest sense of humor today).  Carry on!
  • I need something I can sink my teeth into for reading. 
    So these sound great. 
  • Here's another I just finished: Chanel Bonfire by Wendy Lawless. It's about growing up with a REALLY crazy self-centered mother. Loved it. She just came out with another one called Heart of Glass: A Memoir which I  can't wait to read.

Do you think reading these kinds of books helps to put your own crazy life in perspective?

• nolakent said:
    If you love hair-raising memoirs, you should read the biographies of Eva Peron or of Burmese democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi; each was known for her chignon!   (sorry, I am stuck with the weirdest sense of humor today).  Carry on!
    Sad to say it took me minute to get this one.  I blame Sunday.
  • Just finished Boy Erased by a man who grew up in a fundamentalist Baptist family in Arkansas. He is gay, and his parents, who honestly thought he would be going to Hell because of it, sent him to a program that claimed to turn gay people straight. Truly hair-raising and tragic. 

Also not hair-raising but interesting - I'd recommend Finding Fountainbleau: An American Boy in France. It's a memoir by a man whose father was stationed near Paris in the mid-fifties. It's uneven and has some fairly slow parts to wade through, but it's interesting to read what it was like for an American kid to live in France during that period.

• edited July 2016
    @TheLibrarian, isn't Boy Erased fantastic? I know Garrard (the author) through a good friend. I was really touched by how sympathetically he portrayed his mother. That can't be an easy line to walk, I think. 
  • @Shelby - You know him? Next time you see him, please give him a hug from me. After reading his story, he really needs them.

Also, another in the non hair-raising category - I'm reading 32 Yolks by Eric Ripert. He's had a fascinating life, and it's interesting to go behind the scenes in restaurant kitchens. Definitely recommend.
  • @TheLibrarian, I will! He deserves all the hugs. 
  • Shelby said:
    @TheLibrarian, I will! He deserves all the hugs. 
    Thanks!