The Cursed Child

Did anyone else finish yet?  I'm too scared to talk to my real life friends (I'm terrible at remembering when things happened, so too much chance of spoilers) but I'm dyingggg to discuss!!

Comments

• I got it on Sunday but didn't get a chance to start reading until this morning, I'm on Scene 7 in Act 1. 
  • I pre-ordered it (stupidly, since I could have just bought it in the UK) and will have to wait until I return on Saturday to start it!
  • I am mentally stomping my feet and pouting like a child while I wait for everyone to finish.

Harry Potter was much better when I was reading it as a teenager and nobody had jobs and it came out during summer break so everyone binged it in the first day or so
  • @firebirdsinger DH was the only one I actually stayed out and bought at midnight (first one I had my own license / car for!) and while I have distinct memories of hanging around waiting for the release, I don't remember my first read-through at all!

I do, however, remember turning the bed of my dad's pickup into a reading lounge and blasting through GoF in one afternoon.
  • Finished it the day I got it!! I really liked it - it's been out for DAYS, I say watch out for spoilers from here down!!

• So you really liked it, @OffToSeeHim?  I found myself low-key disappointed but I'm having trouble figuring out if it's because I was SO EXCITED for it or if it's really lower quality than the main 7
  • So, @JealousofBelle, I think the format hurts it. It's too bad JK Rowling didn't take the time to flesh it out into a novel, because you're definitely limited in a stage production by the number of characters, the amount of exposition, the millions of little "wizarding" details that were such a big part of the original books. 

I think the core story was entertaining in a "let's turn the movies into a TV series" sort of way, do you know what I mean? I was happy to be reading about the characters again, it was cool to see them all grown up with kids, fun to get that continuation of the story. But this story relied *heavily* on a knowledge of the original 7 books, which I think is a little lazy. 

So the story itself I thought was good, if a little rushed. The new characters - Albus and Servius were well fleshed out and very appealing, but WTF? No James at all (or barely), SOOOO little about the original three and what their lives are like. Hermione and Ron felt like ghosts in their own story, but I think that was more about the format and less about the actual story. I'd love to read a novel with these characters in it.
  • @OffToSeeHim I agree with 100% of this.  Scorpius was so cute!! And Albus reminded me of Harry circa OotP (who reminds me of me circa ages 13-18).

I actually didn't mind the format in terms of it being difficult to read - which I've heard a lot of people complain about - though I'd rather things be more fleshed out (And there were more than one scene where I was like "how the eff does that work on stage??")

One of my biggest hangups, though, is that she breaks her own damn rules.  In PoA it's clear that the timeline is fixed - whatever you do when you go back in time doesn't actually affect the timeline because you've already done it (if that makes sense, I kind of feel like I just went in a circle).  Now suddenly we're introducing alternate timelines and the ability to change the future?  And conveniently every possible change brings upon the worst possible futures?

As much as I liked being "back at Hogwarts", that bugged me - a lot.

• One of my biggest hangups, though, is that she breaks her own damn rules.  In PoA it's clear that the timeline is fixed - whatever you do when you go back in time doesn't actually affect the timeline because you've already done it (if that makes sense, I kind of feel like I just went in a circle).  Now suddenly we're introducing alternate timelines and the ability to change the future?  And conveniently every possible change brings upon the worst possible futures?

As much as I liked being "back at Hogwarts", that bugged me - a lot.
    So, @JealousofBelle, where specifically did you get that from PofA? I remember Hermione and the time turner, but other than that I don't remember a lot of stuff about the timeline.
  • Let me preface this with the fact that I'm a crazy person and have read PoA like 20 times because Sirius Black is my favorite.  Also I assume anyone on this thread is cool with 17yo spoilers

Everyone leaves the Shreiking Shack post Pettigrew confrontation, Remus turns into a werewolf, Peter runs off, Sirius chases him and gets cornered by the dementors.  Harry runs after him to try to save him (as he knows the dementors will perform the Kiss and suck out his soul) and is overwhelmed and unable to perform the Patronus Charm, succuming to the dementors and ALMOST being kissed.  But, he's not, because he's saved by a Patronus from the other side of the lake, which he assumes is cast by his dead father.  We later find out that he casts it by going back with Hermione's time-turner, and casts it himself, thus saving himself and making it possible for him to go back in time and save Sirius and Buckbeak.

TL;DR Future Harry saves Past Harry, without which he wouldn't live to be Future Harry
  • @firebirdsinger any time you wanna talk about Sirius I'm your girl. I love him probably more than bacon (which is slightly less than BB & the Things)
  • edited August 2016
    @JealousofBelle, read this fic.

I'm not crying, you're crying.
    Have you read We Four Kings? It's been a while since I revisited, but I remember really loving it (it's wolfstar though if that bugs you)
  • edited August 2016
    I haven't had a chance to read the play yet, but I stayed with some friends in London who got to see a performance (bastards), and they said reading the story isn't even in the same galaxy as seeing it. That it was the closest to watching a live-action film with special effects that they've ever seen. That they're still not sure how it was all done. 

After talking to them, I think even if the story leaves something to be desired (which they agreed with) it would still be SO worth seeing in person. 
  • Shelby said:
    I haven't had a chance to read the play yet, but I stayed with some friends in London who got to see a performance (bastards), and they said reading the story isn't even in the same galaxy as seeing it. That it was the closest to watching a live-action film with special effects that they've ever seen. That they're still not sure how it was all done. 

After talking to them, I think even if the story leaves something to be desired (which they agreed with) it would still be SO worth seeing in person. 
    Just tell them how much you enjoyed seeing Hamilton with the original cast...:)
  • Shelby said:

I would still really like to see it in person (even a taping of the live show would do, really) purely because I'd love to see how some of the stage directions play out. And I agree, it's probably better on stage than reading the script.  But I'm still conflicted about the book itself.
  • I haven't read one reply in this thread because I FINALLY got my copy today and I don't want to spoil anything. I wish I could go home and just read it all tonight, but alas, I have packing to do for the move on Wednesday, so instead I will just stare at it longingly and hope I'll have some time this weekend for reading. 
  • I wondered while reading it how they'd pull off some of the things described!  I have to say that time travel stories are not my favorite- they give me a headache- but I enjoyed the book.  It wasn't my favorite HP by any stretch, but it was nice to catch up the original trio, and I loved Albus and especially Scorpius. 

I wonder if they plan to bring the production to the U.S.?

• I seem to remember hearing an announcement that there were no plans to bring it to the US, but that a) may have been a dream and b) may change.  From what I'm seeing in reactions to the book vs. the play, I think it would be a good idea to let more people see it on stage.  But what do I know.
  • I thought I saw that it was going to come to the US? I feel like financial considerations may at least bring it here...
  • So I did a quick Google search and I wasn't totally right, but I didn't dream it either.  They haven't totally ruled out coming to America (hehe) but it won't happen until next year at the earliest (and possibly later)

• I haven't finished yet but I have some of the same complaints. The characters don't feel fleshed out, but that may be the format. I hated the beginning, where it compresses 2 or 3 years into a couple of pages. 

I think the time turner issue is because they went so far back in time. In PoA, they only went back a few hours. Maybe going back years really screws things up. 

• I haven't finished yet but I have some of the same complaints. The characters don't feel fleshed out, but that may be the format. I hated the beginning, where it compresses 2 or 3 years into a couple of pages. 

I think the time turner issue is because they went so far back in time. In PoA, they only went back a few hours. Maybe going back years really screws things up. 

I had to work really hard to imagine that scene on stage - I imagine it works really well, but the first time I read it i was pretty confused. I think they just effd up the time Turner thing, honestly. Didn't expect crazy people (like myself) to poke holes in it
  • No, they did say that the further back you go, the more issues you encounter.
  • I've been avoiding this thread like the plague until I could finish reading the play.

Just finished it. Although I enjoyed it, I have to agree that in order to get the full experience, you'd have to see the play in person. One moment in particular, when 1981 Voldemort walks into the actual auditorium audience on his way to murder baby Harry, sounds really amazing.

I did really love Scorpius.
  • @Gemfemme YES!! Also the Dementors Kiss scene seems like it would be SO COOL to see how they did it.  

I'm totally on the Albus / Scorpius train.  Just imagine Harry and Draco dealing with each other for the rest of their lives.  Ahhh it warms my fangirl heart to imagine the awkward family dinners.
  • I finished this yesterday. It was good. I'm not in love with it, like I was with the HP books, but still, it was good. Reading a script is so different. I kept trying to imagine what the sets looked like and failing miserably. I think that's what JKR is so good at - setting the scenes. 

Now if only I could go to London to see the play.