Costuming and Cosplay

124»

Comments

• edited August 2016
    @nolakent, please do post pictures when you can. It sounds like a wonderful thing to be doing. 

A woman I know here in the Bay Area has gotten more and more involved in costume design starting with amateur and school shows and now working her way into some local theater and opera companies. She has a blast and I always enjoy seeing the pictures she posts on FB of her work.
  • @nolakent that sounds so great!

With your costuming thing I keep wondering if you ever ran across my stepbrother, while he was still doing theatre wardrobe - although I think outside Australia he mainly worked in NY and the UK.
  • So, the Captain John is coming together. Working on katana today and not worrying about the holster and guns. I just couldn't find anything and didn't want to get something just to have it, but not really be what I'm looking for. I'll probably keep looking so I can have all the accessories for future wearings.

I think the only thing left is ---- head styling. Hair and make up. What do I do?? I have a slightly shaggy pixie cut, so two main options for the hair: sexy, disheveled bedhead or I can do the swoopy bouffant kind of thing. Like so. That's me... So, hi! :-P

And make up. I love make up so I'm up for anything. Again, two main options, I think. Nice natural make up that will look good in pictures. Or sultry smokey eye thing, kind of similar to Anna Kendrick's make up in Pitch Perfect.

Thoughts? Ideas? Links or videos for review? Let me have it!
  • Ooh  - sexy bedhead and smoky eye with neutral lip, I think!
  • Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!  Hauled out the pieces of plague doctor mask I started last December and started sewing...only after I had finished the two sides did I realize I now have two right sides of a mask but no left side.  Will be cutting out a new left side.  May create another mask later, and paint it or something to make it unique and different from the rest of my collection.
  • foodycatAlicia OK! I think I could have fun with that, too. Plus as it wears during the day and gets grungy and smeary, it could be really awesome.

carlatheviking Oh no!! Glad to hear you have enough to remake the side you need, but that's always frustrating.
  • Switch842 said:
    foodycatAlicia OK! I think I could have fun with that, too. Plus as it wears during the day and gets grungy and smeary, it could be really awesome.

carlatheviking Oh no!! Glad to hear you have enough to remake the side you need, but that's always frustrating.
    I managed to bleed over part of the mask, and stain another part with superglue.  I think *this* mask might end up getting painted.  Still, I have plenty to make the second mask so I mustn't complain.
  • Day 1 of Comic Con done. Jack Frost cos play was a hit.

image Hi....

Got a lot more attention than I thought it would. But it was fun! Tomorrow's the day with Captain John. *fingers crossed*
  • Went to Jo-Ann's to start getting the stuff I need for this year's
    Halloween costume. (One of them...) Got $90 of fabric for $46 thanks
    to three coupons, one of which I only knew about thanks to a very kind
    and helpful shopgirl. Of course I still need 1/8" cord, metal eyelets, thread, interfacing and
    lining which will probably come to at least $15 if I can swing the
    right coupons/sales. And it's going to be hell to sew up. But it'll be
    so worth it!

• So, here's femme!Captain John all put together:

I'm not sure anyone really knew who I was supposed to be, but I had lots of fun with it! Got another one on the books tomorrow which should involve my cousin and possibly another friend or two. We'll see if they can pull something together... :-)
  • Love it! That corset fits you so well!
  • That looks fantastic!  
  • Last night husbeast announced that there is a little local Con this weekend and that he really wants me to do my teenybopper Captain America (which, regular readers may remember I chickened out of last time).

Of course, a couple of weeks ago I got all my hair cut off into a short pixie so I am going to have to figure out a wig. All the "50s ponytail" wigs I could find on ebay (that were UK based and can get to me by Friday) were terrible, so I've bought a long layered wavy one and hope that I can style it. Anyone wrangled a wig and has tips for me? Love to hear them!
  • ... and in other big questions, what colour lipstick would Captain America wear if he was a 1950s teenage girl? Classic matte red or a more delicate rose?
  • Matte red, I'd say. There's more to Captain America than meets the eye and, besides, it will go well with red, white, and blue. And I really want to see pictures @foodycatAlicia!
  • Thanks Karen! Will do! (probably - I am struggling with my wig and getting out of sorts.
  • foodycatAlicia That looks super cute!!
  • edited August 2016
    I love that @foodycatAlicia! You look great!
  • Love it @foodycatAlicia! And Urchin is your sidekick (or are you Urchin's sidekick?). :)
  • Urchin is definitely the brains of the operation!
  • Gorgeous costume!  I love the locket!
  • Gorgeous costume!  I love the locket!
    Thanks! I should have lightened the picture of Peggy a bit - it's hard to see it's Cap's best girl and best boy!
  • edited August 2016
    ... and in other big questions, what colour lipstick would Captain America wear if he was a 1950s teenage girl? Classic matte red or a more delicate rose?
    I would suggest this, it's what Hayley Atwell wore in Agent Carter: https://besamecosmetics.com/products/red-velvet-lipstick

I'm heading to DragonCon this weekend, and I've been doing a ton of sewing over the past few weeks. Can't wait to wear these.

• Got nervous during the Vikings' game and had to start sewing.  I must've sewed for over three hours!  But I finished the body of the robes, and did the entire hood except for the bottom hem (which is pinned) and then attaching it to the robes.  Once I do that, I just have to hem the sleeves and bottom of the robes, and it'll be finished!

The sooner I finish robes, cowl, and mask the better, because I still have to make the princess dress and that's going to take forever, I just know it.

I tried the robes on again but this time without wearing my shirt under it and I'm pleased with how it looks.  I figure if I wear a thin black spaghetti strap undershirt and my thinnest gray yoga pants I'll be able to drive there not in costume, and still be comfortable walking around all day with robes over my clothes.

What I need is some kind of pattern to make a drawstring bag out of black velvet to carry my cash and phone and keys in since I hated the belt pouch I made last year, and I don't want to belt my waist this year.  If I just cut a big circle of velvet, turn down the outside as a hem and thread a cord through it, would that work?  I may have to experiment with all this.

Mask is finished!!  I taped up the eye pieces and hung it in a tree so I could spray paint without getting hard lines or missing awkward bits or anything bad like that.  Painting's finished now and I have it hanging off my bike in my living room - going to go for a walk in a bit so it can dry fully without me being tempted to touch it!

All that's left now is the bag, and that shouldn't take long, I hope.  Then, on to the princess dress!

THE DOCTOR IS IN!

So I have everything cut out...but I got the wrong shade of green thread.  I'll get the right shade tomorrow and start sewing then.  I'm tired and peeved now and not in the mood for anything.  But I can't wait for it to be finished!