Golden Globes 2017

Nominations came out this morning, y'all. 

My thoughts:

OMG The Crown got nominated, as did John Lithgow and Claire Foy. VERY EXCITED.

I'm pleasantly surprised Deadpool & Ryan Reynolds got nominated - Deadpool was just a really fun movie and I expect Ryan Reynolds to show up in the Deadpool suit for at least part of the telecast

I'm personally looking forward to the Award Season kickoff - I usually very much enjoy the Globes, they're much more fun than the Oscars. :)

Comments

• edited December 2016
    I'm also happy for Ryan Reynolds and Deadpool. He had a great reaction on Twitter this morning- 

I don't watch most of the nominated TV shows so those categories will be boring for me. I'm probably the only person on this board who doesn't care about The Crown.
  • Soooo out of all the nominees, I've seen Deadpool, Stranger Things...and that's it.

Kind of bummed Luke Cage got missed out.  You'd think they'd get nods for Best Supporting Actor (M. Ali) at least...
  • @carlatheviking I haven't seen any of the movies except for Deadpool. 

I uh, also haven't watched Stranger Things yet (i know, sacrilege) but The Crown is great. 
  • edited December 2016
    I have not watched Stranger Things and I don't intend to. I've gotten to the point where I no longer care if I'm missing out on the cool new shows getting tons of hype, if they don't interest me I don't watch them. I don't watch This Is Us either. Or Atlanta. Or Transparent.
  • JeanneM said:
    I have not watched Stranger Things and I don't intend to. I've gotten to the point where I no longer care if I'm missing out on the cool new shows getting tons of hype, if they don't interest me I don't watch them. I don't watch This Is Us either. Or Atlanta. Or Transparent.
    Thank you Jeanne...

add 'The Good Place'? (is that the right name? I simply Don't Get It. I tried..

a dear friend LOVES This is Us...I am so behind on watching it (which tells me deep down I don;t want to watch it...) I 'should' watch Atlanta (living in that city but...)

Stranger Things- I don't DO 'spooky'. period. (and I don't care if whathisname from Glee St Whatshisname did it either (I know- Sacriledge!)
  • I do like The Good Place but otherwise I totally agree. Scrolling through Facebook some mornings it feels like I'm the only one not talking about This Is Us. And I was for sure the only person at Thanksgiving dinner not talking about it at one point. That was a very boring conversation for me.
  • I haven't watched This Is Us or The Crown.  I suppose I might try The Crown eventually, but I'm not in a place right now where I'm too interested in "new" when I have precious free time for tv watching/brain draining.  Been rewatching Midsomer Murders instead.
  • I  vehemently hate and am insulted by This is Us. I do like The Good Place, but usually watch it On Demand over the weekends. The Crown simply didn't interest me. I watched the first 2 seasons of Transparent and realized Gabby Hoffman irks me. I watched Atlanta because I like Donald Glover and wanted to see what he would do. I was pleasantly surprised at how good the show is. I liked Deadpool but didn't find it half as clever as everyone else seems to think it is. 
  • Milaxx said:
    I  vehemently hate and am insulted by This is Us. I do like The Good Place, but usually watch it On Demand over the weekends. The Crown simply didn't interest me. I watched the first 2 seasons of Transparent and realized Gabby Hoffman irks me. I watched Atlanta because I like Donald Glover and wanted to see what he would do. I was pleasantly surprised at how good the show is. I liked Deadpool but didn't find it half as clever as everyone else seems to think it is. 

I've never watched This Is Us. I honestly don't even know what it's about. Why do you dislike it so much? I'm getting really into Atlanta.
  • I LOVED Stranger Things and am pleasantly surprised that it received a few noms (I don't think it will actually win any awards though). I would have replaced Winona Ryder's nomination with one for Millie Bobby Brown (Eleven) because she was phenomenal and was able to convey a lot without much dialogue. 

I'm about half way through The Crown. The costumes/sets, etc. are really pretty to look at, but the show itself has been a bit dull. I can't decide if Lithgow's interpretation of Churchill is brilliant or cartoonish. 
  • Gemfemme said:
    Milaxx said:
    I  vehemently hate and am insulted by This is Us. I do like The Good Place, but usually watch it On Demand over the weekends. The Crown simply didn't interest me. I watched the first 2 seasons of Transparent and realized Gabby Hoffman irks me. I watched Atlanta because I like Donald Glover and wanted to see what he would do. I was pleasantly surprised at how good the show is. I liked Deadpool but didn't find it half as clever as everyone else seems to think it is. 

I've never watched This Is Us. I honestly don't even know what it's about. Why do you dislike it so much? I'm getting really into Atlanta.
    Everything about the character Kate feels like fake concern trolling. From the moment she is introduced she is defined by her weight.
    That is literally what the character is; the fat gal.She's full of self loathing, constantly compares herself to her thinner, twin brother. Mother had her on diets as a child. Nothing about her as a person, she's just he fat gal. Then I read the actress is contractually obligated to lose weight. 
    UGH!
    Everything about this character feels like some skinny person's idea of what life is like as a fat person. Her boyfriend is also a fattie she met at weight watcher's. It's all just one giant stereotype masked as being a genuine look at being fat in America. 

Then there's the white savoir complex. The couple was pregnant with triples, one died at birth but there was an abandoned Black baby born at the hospital, so they brought him home. First of all, it's more difficult than that to get a puppy from the pet store. I also dislike the plot device of a POC's life being saved due to the kindness of some random White person. It's a lazy plot device that Hollywood loves to fall back on. Especially when they want to pretend they are creating a diverse project. The shows attempts to acknowledge even that fall flat. Water Cooler Connvos  explains it better:
    "One quote that stuck out to me on the “The Game Plan” episode that emphasized this fact, was when Hartley’s character Kevin explained to his Black nieces, Randall’s daughters, “we’re not even different colors anymore. We’re just one thing. One painting…There’s no you or me or them; it’s just us. And this sloppy, wild, colorful, magical thing that has no beginning and has no end, this right here, I think it’s us.” As Kevin explains this experience, the production flashes to a young European immigrant arriving at Ellis Island, who we are to presume is Kevin’s (and Kate’s and Randall’s) great-grandfather. This deliberate shift to a traditionally acceptable form of immigration to the United States as this white male character speaks to two Black girls whose ancestors likely came to this land in the bowels of a slave ship seems both heavy-handed and dismissive of this country’s long history of racial disparity and oppression."

In short, I think the show is a bunch of BS, wrapped in a "I'm so deep and thoughtful package."  It's well acted, full of pretty, likable actors. If you like feel good shows like Parenthood, you'll lap this up.

• I LOVED Stranger Things and am pleasantly surprised that it received a few noms (I don't think it will actually win any awards though). I would have replaced Winona Ryder's nomination with one for Millie Bobby Brown (Eleven) because she was phenomenal and was able to convey a lot without much dialogue. 

I'm about half way through The Crown. The costumes/sets, etc. are really pretty to look at, but the show itself has been a bit dull. I can't decide if Lithgow's interpretation of Churchill is brilliant or cartoonish. 
    I agree with you about Millie Bobby Brown - I follow her on Instagram and she's just the sweetest kid.  Although I did have to stop looking at Insta for a while the day she posted a picture of, "My first pair of Louboutin heels!!!!"  Where's a jealousy emoji when you need one?!
  • Milaxx said:
    Gemfemme said:
    Milaxx said:

Everything about the character Kate feels like fake concern trolling. From the moment she is introduced she is defined by her weight.
    That is literally what the character is; the fat gal.She's full of self loathing, constantly compares herself to her thinner, twin brother. Mother had her on diets as a child. Nothing about her as a person, she's just he fat gal. Then I read the actress is contractually obligated to lose weight. 
    UGH!
    Everything about this character feels like some skinny person's idea of what life is like as a fat person. Her boyfriend is also a fattie she met at weight watcher's. It's all just one giant stereotype masked as being a genuine look at being fat in America. 

Then there's the white savoir complex. The couple was pregnant with triples, one died at birth but there was an abandoned Black baby born at the hospital, so they brought him home. First of all, it's more difficult than that to get a puppy from the pet store. I also dislike the plot device of a POC's life being saved due to the kindness of some random White person. It's a lazy plot device that Hollywood loves to fall back on. Especially when they want to pretend they are creating a diverse project. The shows attempts to acknowledge even that fall flat. Water Cooler Connvos  explains it better:
    "One quote that stuck out to me on the “The Game Plan” episode that emphasized this fact, was when Hartley’s character Kevin explained to his Black nieces, Randall’s daughters, “we’re not even different colors anymore. We’re just one thing. One painting…There’s no you or me or them; it’s just us. And this sloppy, wild, colorful, magical thing that has no beginning and has no end, this right here, I think it’s us.” As Kevin explains this experience, the production flashes to a young European immigrant arriving at Ellis Island, who we are to presume is Kevin’s (and Kate’s and Randall’s) great-grandfather. This deliberate shift to a traditionally acceptable form of immigration to the United States as this white male character speaks to two Black girls whose ancestors likely came to this land in the bowels of a slave ship seems both heavy-handed and dismissive of this country’s long history of racial disparity and oppression."

In short, I think the show is a bunch of BS, wrapped in a "I'm so deep and thoughtful package."  It's well acted, full of pretty, likable actors. If you like feel good shows like Parenthood, you'll lap this up.

Ah, I remember hearing about an actress from a new show was contractually obligated to lose weight. Didn't know it was this one. I tend to avoid "relationship/family" type shows like this anyway. They seem very hokey, self important and filled with ridiculous dialog that just screams "writer hoping to get an Emmy nomination". I mean nobody goes around talking like that in real life.