Florence Foster Jenkins

edited February 2016 in Television & Film
Meryl Streep's new film coming this spring looks like a riot. From the man who brought you  The Queen and Philomenia

A dear friend of mine made many of the costume props for Meryl

Comments

• @Frank_821 ; Your friend must've had so much fun – all that outlandish excess...and FFJ changed costumes for each song, lol.

How smart of the trailer to tease instead of giving away the joke!  I hadn't even heard of this movie...just checked IMDb, and was a little disappointed to see that it's not at all related to the play Souvenir.  Hope it has the same heart and soul though – I only read the stage play of Souvenir but cried hard at the end!
  • There's a movie about FFJ?  How wonderful!   It's going on my list.
  • From Wikipedia for those of us who hadn't heard of her:

Florence Foster Jenkins (July 19, 1868 – November 26, 1944) was an American socialite and amateur operatic soprano who was known and ridiculed for her lack of rhythm, pitch, and tone; her aberrant pronunciation; and her generally poor singing ability.
  • Lilithcat said:
    There's a movie about FFJ?  How wonderful!   It's going on my list.
    I've been seeing reviews and it sounds really good - but apparently a French movie called Marguerite was loosely based on her too https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marguerite_(film)
  • Lilithcat said:
    There's a movie about FFJ?  How wonderful!   It's going on my list.
    I've been seeing reviews and it sounds really good - but apparently a French movie called Marguerite was loosely based on her too https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marguerite_(film)
    I saw Marguerite, and it was magnificent.  I highly recommend it.
  • OH my goodness, I do still love me some Hugh Grant. 
  • edited May 2016
    @Lilithcat ;   Haven't seen Marguerite, but I love Catherine Frot!  Have you seen her in Haute Cuisine?  @foodycatAlica, you might like that one, too – it’s based on the autobiography of Daniele Mazet-Delpeuch – the smart, independent, rustic French cook who was as surprised as anyone when she was selected to be President Mitterrand's personal chef.  Of course her job becomes a battle of wills against the resentful men who had always represented formal French Cuisine.  Lots of lovely food in this movie!
  • I will look for that one! Thanks @WinterWhite!
  • I have not seen Haute Cuisine, but it sounds fabulous! I will definitely look out for it. Thanks for the tip!
  • Just saw the movie; I loved it. The movie is funny and sweet with so much heart.
  • nolakent said:
    Just saw the movie; I loved it. The movie is funny and sweet with so much heart.
    I loved FFJ too. Meryl was her usual magificent self, and I loved Hugh Grant and her accompanist as well.