Open Chat 77 - March already?

Our daffodils aren't properly out yet this year but hey.

How have things been?

Had an annoyance this week - we're selling a car to help raise money for a house deposit and yesterday we discovered that the people we'd bought it from 10 years ago had set back the odometer. Which reduced the value of the car by £4000. Of course now there is a website you can search that shows the full MOT history of a vehicle, so you can clearly see when it was set back (i.e not by us) but when we bought it that didn't exist.

So we'll be eating beans on toast for a while.

Comments

• First: those daffodils are LOVELY!  Make me ache to have my own home so I can have a flowerbed full of them, white and yellow combined, just like in the picture.

Second: ugh, how awful about the car!  I'm sorry you had a setback like that, but hopefully you'll find a lovely place to live anyway, one that's Urchin-approved!

I'm itching for the weekend even though I work tomorrow.  I intend to take this evening off to paint and write and generally lush around with a drink in my hand.
  • We're buying off plan in a new development an hour's train trip north of London - we've paid a reservation fee but the deposit is due at the end of this month. We're hoping Urchin won't hate it! But we do already have plans to put spring bulbs in (we're particularly thinking crocus and daffodil) as soon as we move.

Lushing around with a drink in your hand sounds perfect.
  • We're buying off plan in a new development an hour's train trip north of London - we've paid a reservation fee but the deposit is due at the end of this month. We're hoping Urchin won't hate it! But we do already have plans to put spring bulbs in (we're particularly thinking crocus and daffodil) as soon as we move.

Lushing around with a drink in your hand sounds perfect.
    Oh gosh that's so exciting!  Here's hoping you get all the t's crossed and the i's dotted in plenty of time!  And only an hour from London; it sounds like all of my childhood books scrambled together with my adult delight in home furnishing.

I didn't get much done at work today but I'm doing laundry now (this is a sheets week too so I'll have lovely soft warm sheets tonight) and I've done all the dishes, so if I can just get a little proper work done I won't feel bad about knocking off this evening.

I've got a jar full of vodka'd blueberries and they're SO alcoholic I don't like just eating them (my sister does, she taught me the recipe) but it occurred to me today that I can make them into a blueberry vodka "daquiri" so that's what I'll be drinking tonight.

I'm also mending my RenFest dress tonight (I put the decorative edging on backwards so I need to take it off and redo it, and fix the hems as well) because I decided that it was worth $19 of entrance fee and $20 of food and drink to go to the Sherwood Forest Faire sometime this month.  I'll have to work more freelance, but sometimes you just gotta treat yo' self!

It's also an excuse to make the rose crown I got most of the stuff for before Christmas and never got around to sewing.  W00t!
  • I just watched The Dressmaker.  WTF.  I thought it was a love story, not a "pull viewer's brain and heart out and stir thoroughly with some hashish and leave them on the floor" movie!!
  • edited March 2017
    This is going to be a long post, but I really need some advice.

I've been at the same company for almost 6 years now. I love the work I do, I love the company, I love the people here. I have a fantastic 10 minute commute. It has its frustrating days, but I can easily see myself working here for several more years.

The problem is the pay. It didn't start out that way. When I was offered a job, it was $3,000/year more than what I was making at my old job (which I also loved, but had to leave because they moved 30 minutes further away and I couldn't do a 90 minute commute each way). I got a small raise after a year. The company was doing great. Then the next year, shit hit the fan, a bunch of layoffs happened, and I was cut to part time. That lasted about 3-4 months, then I went back to full time and got another small raise a few months later.

That was over three years ago and I haven't gotten a raise since. We were steadily hiring since then as worked picked up, but it seems like we were always barely staying afloat financially and never really improving. Things are bad again, and today they laid off 1/3 of the company (it's a small company, about 25 people before today's layoffs). And they had to cut my salary by 10%, so now I'm making less than when I started 6 years ago.

I don't know what to do. I was already getting pretty frustrated by the salary situation and was casually looking at other jobs, but in there area I live it's slim pickings for the type of salary I need. I know I'm valued here - when they met with me today to tell me what was going on they said they wanted to make sure they kept me on board. They just can't pay me more money.

The practical side of me is saying to move on and find a higher paying job. But, if things rebound and improve here, it's likely I could get back to my previous salary, maybe higher. Also, what if I move on to a different job and even though it's more money it's something I don't like or I have a terrible boss? The fact that I enjoy my job and I have a short commute is very important and invaluable to me. Is it worth the risk of staying here at a job I love, where it's possible that a year from now I'm not earning more money - or worse if things don't improve and they have to close? Or should I take the risk of moving onto the unknown?

Note: Money is not really an issue right now, so the paycut is not a problem in that sense and won't hurt my husband and I financially in a sense of being able to pay the bills. It's more of any plans we had to travel, renovate our house, and saving more money are now on hold. Plus, again it's frustrating to not make more money than I did six years ago, and I'm doing more work.
  • @ellystar if you believe them that they genuinely can't afford a pay increase, I would stay where you are. We live in interesting times.
  • @ellystar - that is a tough situation.  If the owners aren't rolling around in new cars every year and dripping with diamonds and you really believe they're doing what they can, then I'd stay.  That commute sounds like it's worth a lot, and if there aren't really other jobs in the area right now, I'd hold tight.

I can't think of a single hiring manager who would turn you away because a company you'd worked at for a decade went under.  That's definitely not your fault.
  • What can the company offer you, beyond salary? They want to keep you, so is there something they can offer, such as more time off, some training/opportunity to pursue something, some risk they will let you take professionally that may benefit you both? They said they wanted to keep you; think of some way to leverage that so that it benefits you in the future too, so that if they return to paying you your full salary again, you will come out ahead in some way; or at least more marketable.

Also, when you look at the company, in terms of what it does, and how it could be more financially stable, do you see a potential for it gain that stability, or will it always be swinging between feast and famine (some work is just more cyclical)? Is it something specific to this company, or the local economy in general.

I'd definitely keep feelers out in the marketplace, even if not aggressively, because you want to make sure you aren't stranded at a low-pay-point if the company is mired for an extended period.
  • @ellystar I was going to say something similar to @GrumpyGirl - if the salary thing is something you can live with (and it sounds like it is!) can you request something else - more PTO, work from home hours, something to that effect?  If nothing else I feel like you should ask for *something* purely to avoid them taking you for granted.
  • In honor of International Women's Day:

imageimage
  • What can the company offer you, beyond salary? They want to keep you, so is there something they can offer, such as more time off, some training/opportunity to pursue something, some risk they will let you take professionally that may benefit you both? They said they wanted to keep you; think of some way to leverage that so that it benefits you in the future too, so that if they return to paying you your full salary again, you will come out ahead in some way; or at least more marketable.

Also, when you look at the company, in terms of what it does, and how it could be more financially stable, do you see a potential for it gain that stability, or will it always be swinging between feast and famine (some work is just more cyclical)? Is it something specific to this company, or the local economy in general.

I'd definitely keep feelers out in the marketplace, even if not aggressively, because you want to make sure you aren't stranded at a low-pay-point if the company is mired for an extended period.
    I meant to set up a meeting today to talk with them about this, but I was going to ask for unlimited sick time as a benefit. Right now we have PTO lumped together, and I don't like that if I'm sick it takes away from potential vacations.

Also, they did change my role so it aligns more of what I like to do and what I'm good at, and took away everything that I don't like. So that's good too. Plus they changed my manager and I'm excited about that too.

I can see things turning around financially for them. Usually the first two months of the year are slow, but it's been very unexpectedly slow. Things in the whole industry seem like it's in a lull right now, so that might be part of it. I think the executive team has a good plan in place to steady the ship for good this time, and I have faith in them. They're trying to correct mistakes from the past, which is good.

Thank you everyone for the advice and kind words. I feel a lot better than I did on Monday, and I've been working on some exciting stuff - and I've been more busy than I have in months with the new responsibilities and new manager. Also I'm looking into some side gig stuff to make extra money on the side from home (probably selling things on Etsy) to help with the loss of income. And I'm keeping my eye out for other jobs to see what comes up, but not looking extensively. I'll keep you all posted.
  • Starting to get excited for my upcoming birthday trip. Leaving Saturday for Singapore and Cambodia. So looking forward to see Angkor Wat. I love going to ancient cities and this is the last one on my list.
  • GeoDiva said:
    Starting to get excited for my upcoming birthday trip. Leaving Saturday for Singapore and Cambodia. So looking forward to see Angkor Wat. I love going to ancient cities and this is the last one on my list.
    What about Detroit? (ducking)
  • Feeling down today.  Had a hard day yesterday - though it was successful - and I went to see a late showing of John Wick 2 which turned out to be great but only ended at midnight.  Maybe I'm just tired out?  I definitely do not want to do any work once get I home even though I really have to.  At least it's spring break so it's been quiet here so far.