"As seen on TV" stuff

Have you ever bought an "As seen on TV" product that actually worked?

I don't have cable so half the commercials I see on over-the-air channels are "as seen on TV" products. Once you see the commercial for red copper pans for the hundredth time it seriously tempting to buy one (who wouldn't want to melt a solo cup on their cookware?) Just for fun, I thought it would be interesting to see if anyone has actually bought an "As seen on TV" product they're happy with, or perhaps have a funny/cautionary tale about a product that didn't work!

Comments

• The radio-wave permanent hair removal tweezer thingies definitely did not. Can't even remember what they were called!
  • I tried the screen "door" you pin around any door. It was garbage. I think I took it back without using it.  I see people in my neighborhood have them.  I've even seen ones the size of a 2 car garage. Some people must like them. 
  • I wound up with a cook-pasta-in-your-microwave thing at a Yankee swap and it was garbage. I wound up cooking my pasta the old-fashioned way.

I once bought a stick-on light from the As Seen on TV section at CVS and it fell off the wall after one day. And there went my dream of having a light in my closet.
  • My husband actually recently bought one of those pans. Not from the infomercial, I think he found it at Walmart or something. It's not square but so far we really like it. We'll see how long the coating on it really lasts. But so far nothing has stuck and it washes up super easy. I don't have any plans to try melting a Solo cup in it any time soon. 
  • @Beth: Good to know. If I ever feel like impulsively buying one it's good to know that they work (at least when you first buy them). 

The only "as seen on tv" products that have really worked for me are OxiClean and my Shark vacuum (but both can be bought in regular stores too of course). The most disappointing was the Snuggy (I was given a few for Christmas a year ago because I usually like cheesy stuff, but those things were thin and did not keep me warm at all!). 
  • I actually did!  This was ages ago - as in at least 20 years! - but I still have the product and it still works fine. I even found a current web-site advertising something that looks very much like the one I bought, though this one's blue and mine's grey:

Sift Away litter trays

It's a simple idea: cat-litter trays allowing easy sifting of the contents. There are three trays, each identical; when stacked in alternating directions the offset slots are closed, keeping the litter in. To use, lift out the top tray, letting the litter sift into the lower two; discard the kitty-leavings, and replace the tray beneath the other two. The only trick was in making sure to keep the trays alternating, but there are little tabs on the end to help with this.

Granted, this only works with fine-grained litter - most of the modern sand-grain clumping types work well, but I was able to use them with some of the corn-based or pine-based styles too. I *did* run into some trouble when one cat liked to, um, aim high; the trays are pretty shallow, and he'd easily overshoot the rim. But most of my cats have used them readily, and I do find them quite easy to sift and clean.

And no, this isn't a paid infomercial - but as it's so very rare for those as-seen-on-TV things to be worth anything at all, I thought I'd mention it!

[There are other sifting-style litter pans, but I've found most of those clunkier to use and harder to clean. Your mileage may vary.]
  • @GoryDetails we used to have one of those litter pans, also at least 20 years or more ago. I really liked the convenience but as soon as we added a dog to the family we had to switch to a covered box. I don't know why they've never come out with one with a hood. I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I even suggested as much on the newer one I keep seeing the kickstarter for on my FB page. They responded that they are considering it. 
  • The veggie spiraler works. FYI almost all of those things are usually on sale in Kmart and drug stores like CVS and Walgreens. Most times cheaper than the on tv price.
  • I bought one of those things that has a wand that moved in a circle that was supposed to entertain cats.  I think it was called the Cat's Meow, but I could be wrong.  I was trying to take the back off to put the batteries in it and the screws' slots wore out before I could get it open.  I never got to try it out with my cats and they're gone now.

Graveyard Girl has some great reviews of various "As Seen on TV" products.  She did a review of the Cat's Meow with her cats.  They liked it but she felt the cover on it was unneeded.  She also had a not-to-be missed review of the No-no hair remover thing.  It didn't work and she had some good cautions about the product.
  • I convinced my parents to let me try Proactiv when I was in my teens. It was OK, I don't think we repurchased. 
  • Anna_P said:
    I convinced my parents to let me try Proactiv when I was in my teens. It was OK, I don't think we repurchased. 
    My daughter did the same thing. Unfortunately we did repurchase. We tried to cancel and the crap kept coming. I have a closet full of bleach stained washcloths and towels to prove it. 
  • Anna_P said:
    I convinced my parents to let me try Proactiv when I was in my teens. It was OK, I don't think we repurchased. 

I forgot about that one! I also had it.  It didn't work. 
  • They made it seem so exclusive in the late '90s, but I see they have Proactiv kiosks in the mall now. Which makes me wonder why do they still have the commercials if you can just go to the mall or order online? Oh, the harsh crap I used to put on my face when I was younger. Now I LIVE for my cleansing oil (and essences/serums/moisturizers). 
  • I wanted to try ProActiv but my mom wouldn't go for it, she said it was only for people with really bad acne and not just a few pimples. Of course when one is fifteen and one has huge red pimples on one's forehead it doesn't feel like "just a few."

A couple years ago I finally gave up on all the scrubs and weird chemicals and switched to Cetaphil. I find it works much better for me.
  • I had the brownie pan that had an insert so you didn't have to slice them, they came out as individual squares already.  It sort of worked?  The pan was great, the perfect size for a box of brownies, and the false bottom made it really easy to get them out.  The insert was a pain in the ass to clean, and I abandoned it after using it twice.
  • I picked up this trash bag roll holder thingy. It was on clearance for $7.99 and came with a roll of trash bags so not a bad deal. It's sits in the bottom of your trash can and dispenses trashbags so as oyu take the old one out you can replace it. it's for the kitchen sized trash cans. So far so good. 
  • CourtneyA said:
    I had the brownie pan that had an insert so you didn't have to slice them, they came out as individual squares already.  It sort of worked?  The pan was great, the perfect size for a box of brownies, and the false bottom made it really easy to get them out.  The insert was a pain in the ass to clean, and I abandoned it after using it twice.
    Woah. I would buy that.
  • I tried Proactive a few years ago and it did nothing for me (the active ingredients--salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide--can be found in just about every other OTC acne med for a lot less). The latest things that have been tempting me late at night are a make-up airbrush thing, and a pan that can cook paninis in the microwave! (LOL)
  • CourtneyA said:
    I had the brownie pan that had an insert so you didn't have to slice them, they came out as individual squares already.  It sort of worked?  The pan was great, the perfect size for a box of brownies, and the false bottom made it really easy to get them out.  The insert was a pain in the ass to clean, and I abandoned it after using it twice.
    Woah. I would buy that.
    And so you still can:  https://www.amazon.com/As-Seen-On-TV-2981-0017/dp/B002MR0IUG
  • Years ago I got one of those crazy slicer/dicer things with the stacking grid blades.  It worked okay, but was a bitch to clean.  Now I much prefer to slice/dice with a good knife.