Open Chat 78 - St Patricks Day edition

2»

Comments

• My sister is trying to do everything in a way that will be the most fun (especially for her, since she, Mom, and a couple of friends are doing all the catering) for the least money.  My help has mostly been looking up venues (I found a good one, I hope she gets it/it works for her, but I don't see why it wouldn't) and suggesting recipes/wines.  She's easy to talk to about it, and knows this is about as much as I can help given that I'm 1000 miles away.
    I'm in favor of fun at weddings.  Best one I ever went to was a "destination" wedding, said destination being a small town near the Wisconsin/Michigan border with the ceremony in a church of which the bride's great-grandparents were among the founders.  Everyone then changed out of church clothes into casual, and went and partied on the beach by the bride's mother's weekend cottage (a real cottage, not a Hampton-style "cottage").  A friend made the food, there were fireworks and hammocks, and an excellent time was had by all.  No minds, friendships, or family relationships were lost in the planning of the event, either!

Second best was a small summer wedding held in the grooms' backyard.
    The problem is that the ceremony venue (church) can't do anything later than an 1130am ceremony, and the reception venue (I have no idea how or why this venue was chosen) won't do anything earlier than 5:30.  The *original* plan was to have the ceremony and reception in the same space, but suddenly that's not OK.  I'm trying to help this poor child but she will.  not.  listen to me.  Seriously, there's no reason why their plans for a Nov wedding at a country club near where THEY live won't work.
    Wow, yeah, no.

Is the bride one of these Kleinfeld Princesszillas?  I don't know how to get through to them.  My sister is trying to do everything in a way that will be the most fun (especially for her, since she, Mom, and a couple of friends are doing all the catering) for the least money.  My help has mostly been looking up venues (I found a good one, I hope she gets it/it works for her, but I don't see why it wouldn't) and suggesting recipes/wines.  She's easy to talk to about it, and knows this is about as much as I can help given that I'm 1000 miles away.
    I really didn't expect it of her, but they BOTH kind of are - my brother thinks he shouldn't have to invite his godmother (our AUNT) because he doesn't like her husband, and when I mentioned like hey gaps are kind of a super huge pain in the ass (especially since Long Island is only 1-2hrs from most of our family, which is too-far-to-go-home-too-close-for-a-hotel territory) she basically said she didn't care.  At all.
  • @Lilithcat - my sister wanted a braai (South African barbecue) at my parents' house for the wedding but the house really can't fit 70 people as is, and she can't figure out how to trim the guest list further since she can afford it at a different venue and she wants her friends to celebrate with her.

That church wedding sounds adorable and exactly how weddings are supposed to go in movies but don't seem to happen in real life.  Plus, beach and fireworks are two of my favorite things, so I'd approve anyway.

@JealousofBelle - oh for pity's sake.  How do you not invite your aunt to your wedding?  Some of my aunts/uncles won't be able to come to my sister's wedding, but they live on entirely different continents, which is a good excuse, IMO.

Also, excuse me?  Your wedding might be about you and hubby-to-be but you do NOT have the right to expect your guests to bend over backwards and do flips for you.

I'm sorry you have to deal with that. :(
  • Lilithcat said:
    My sister is trying to do everything in a way that will be the most fun (especially for her, since she, Mom, and a couple of friends are doing all the catering) for the least money.  My help has mostly been looking up venues (I found a good one, I hope she gets it/it works for her, but I don't see why it wouldn't) and suggesting recipes/wines.  She's easy to talk to about it, and knows this is about as much as I can help given that I'm 1000 miles away.
    I'm in favor of fun at weddings.  Best one I ever went to was a "destination" wedding, said destination being a small town near the Wisconsin/Michigan border with the ceremony in a church of which the bride's great-grandparents were among the founders.  Everyone then changed out of church clothes into casual, and went and partied on the beach by the bride's mother's weekend cottage (a real cottage, not a Hampton-style "cottage").  A friend made the food, there were fireworks and hammocks, and an excellent time was had by all.  No minds, friendships, or family relationships were lost in the planning of the event, either!

Second best was a small summer wedding held in the grooms' backyard.

That sounds absolutely gorgeous!
  • @Lilithcat that wedding sounds INCREDIBLE.

@carlatheviking I'm trying, I really am.  Last night she posted on FB that she's looking for a calligrapher so I asked what for - for the framed seating chart they're going to display at the wedding.  For which they do not yet have a finalized guest list (partially my fault, I haven't returned it yet).  But still!  That's like, week-before-the-wedding stuff, not six-months-out-when-nobody's-been-invited-yet stuff!
  • @Lilithcat that wedding sounds INCREDIBLE.

@carlatheviking I'm trying, I really am.  Last night she posted on FB that she's looking for a calligrapher so I asked what for - for the framed seating chart they're going to display at the wedding.  For which they do not yet have a finalized guest list (partially my fault, I haven't returned it yet).  But still!  That's like, week-before-the-wedding stuff, not six-months-out-when-nobody's-been-invited-yet stuff!
    Man, there is so much STUFF for weddings.  Also, why a seating chart if you don't have the venues signed and locked in yet???  Does this not make sense to anybody else???
  • edited April 2017
    @Lilithcat that wedding sounds INCREDIBLE.

Man, there is so much STUFF for weddings.  Also, why a seating chart if you don't have the venues signed and locked in yet???  Does this not make sense to anybody else???
    It makes no sense whatsoever.  I can see talking to calligraphers to find one whose work you like, but do the seating chart now?  If nobody's been invited, you don't know who is coming!  If you don't have a venue, you don't know what the table set-ups are like. 
  • Also, if I ever do a wedding and need a seating chart I totally want one like Monica's from Friends, where she had the little foam board and used colored pins with names on them so she could move people around.  I thought that was brilliant!
  • I actually suggested to her that she uses the flag-type post-it-notes - I didn't have a seating plan, but my SIL did, and that's what she did.  Seemed SUPER easy.

And, no, it does not make sense, because while they have a venue they do NOT have a finalized guest list, much less an RSVP list!  But to appease her I downloaded a free font and mocked one up in word (rip my old computer with publisher which is a terrible design program but super great for simple shit like this) and sent her the PDF.  I also started pinning wedding invites I think she'll like to our shared, secret board, in the hopes that she'll start working on things that make sense.

AND I texted the rest of the bridesmaids about the bachelorette.  Can you *believe* people say I'm mean to this girl?
  • I actually suggested to her that she uses the flag-type post-it-notes - I didn't have a seating plan, but my SIL did, and that's what she did.  Seemed SUPER easy.

And, no, it does not make sense, because while they have a venue they do NOT have a finalized guest list, much less an RSVP list!  But to appease her I downloaded a free font and mocked one up in word (rip my old computer with publisher which is a terrible design program but super great for simple shit like this) and sent her the PDF.  I also started pinning wedding invites I think she'll like to our shared, secret board, in the hopes that she'll start working on things that make sense.

AND I texted the rest of the bridesmaids about the bachelorette.  Can you *believe* people say I'm mean to this girl?
    Oh she should try me as a bridesmaid for a week.  She'd be crawling back to you before a day was up.