A good cup of coffee

2»

Comments

• @cadillackitten  Contigo mugs will.  But they aren't cups, they are more on the travel mug side.  You pop the lid on and it will burn your mouth if you aren't careful.  
  • My husband came with a Nespresso machine, and I'm addicted to it.  I hate the waste of capsules, but we are recycling them, FWIW.  I used to start my day with an unsweetened nespresso latte, then have a cup of black coffee when I got to work.  When I started working at home last year, I'd have the nespresso and make a pot of coffee, then wonder why I couldn't sleep.  I switched to a latte first thing, and then a cup of black tea when I start my workday.  That seems to be the sweet spot- enough caffeine to get my going, but I still sleep pretty well. 
  • @scout  I know you can recycle the Nespresso capsules, but last time I checked it was not available in my area.  I'm glad you reminded me because I just looked and now it looks like they have a much better handle on it. Thanks! 
  • @Scout, I am envious; my husband only came with musical equipment. Damn I wish I could trade some of that shit in for a high end home coffee experience . . . .
  • @GrumpyGirl, if it makes you feel any better he also came with a Caddyshack poster. 
  • Scout said:
    @GrumpyGirl, if it makes you feel any better he also came with a Caddyshack poster. 

You're saying that liked it's a bad thing????
  • We use an electric percolator. Eight O'Clock Original Blend beans I grind myself. I drink a cup in the morning and one around 3:00PM. Black, no sugar. It has to be HOT, though. I often microwave the cup several times as I'm drinking it. I've searched forever for a thermal mug that will keep it at the temperature I require. I don't think one exists that will suit me.
    Buy a double walled tumbler with lid. I bought one from Starbucks to get free coffee for the month of January and I am really impressed with how long my coffee stays hot.
  • I'm with @Milaxx, @KadillacKitten, those double-tumblers are AMAZING at keeping it scalding hot (usually only to my annoyance when I really want to chug my coffee but it's too too hot)
  • I'm with @Milaxx, @KadillacKitten, those double-tumblers are AMAZING at keeping it scalding hot (usually only to my annoyance when I really want to chug my coffee but it's too too hot)

For me most drinks are too hot when I get them and I need to wait for them to cool down to a comfortable drinking temperature.
  • Same here @GraziDiMenti , my favorite mugs are these teeny little porcelain bird ones that are terrible at keeping piping hot coffee hot but small enough that I can drink the whole thing before the temperature cools past the sweet spot. 

Plus, I like that it feels like I've completed something drinking the whole cup, despite the knowledge these really only hold half of a normal cup. Yay completion!
  • This is a first world problem, but we bought some incredible smelling Kenyan coffee at a new local shop in town that we thought was whole bean (it was labeled as such) and got home and found out its ground!! I'm really bummed since I was looking forward to grinding it here but it still smells incredible and I'm excited to try it.
  • @Qitkat, how'd your coffeemaker search turn out?
  • edited February 2016
    @SarahBeth We (Mr Q and son) are still chugging along with the old coffeemaker. I looked up info on the brand you have and are interested but wonder about cleaning it. Long ago we learned never to throw grounds down the drain, per a disastrous plumber required incident. Some reviews made it sound like it's hard to clean. And now we need a new toaster oven, as it died quite suddenly the other day in the middle of a cycle. So we will be shopping soon.
  • @Qitkat. Oh. Um, Yeah. I clean my filter right in the sink and have NEVER had a problem with grounds in the drain. You could also clean it in a bowl or something maybe and then toss the grounds from that into the trash? that also only works if you don't mind washing an additional dish or tossing it into the dishwasher. 

Hope the toaster shopping goes well, in addition to the coffeemaker shopping.
  • Trust me, the grounds in the drain was a build up of several years. The plumber told us NEVER EVER let any grounds go down the drain. They are both heavy and greasy and land in one of the turns of the pipe and stay there, building up. He called it a sewer plug, and it was damned expensive, the snake would not dislodge them and he had to cut the pipe where he thought they were located. It was gross to the max cause other stuff you know was also trapped there. If this sounds like I am trying to scare you I am. We were unnerved by how vehement he was about this issue. Potato peels can do equal damage even in the garbage disposal. We don't use ours at all unless something accidentally falls into it. $500+ plumbing bills will change one's habits.
  • I love my Nespresso maker, I've not had any issue with recycling the capsules, so I don't see it as being wasteful.  Recently my Nespresso broke, and customer care sent me a loaner machine, with a shipping label to send mine back for repairs, will send my back fixed or replaced, and with a label to return the loaner.  I just adore this level of customer care. 

Now I drink Decaf exclusively.  I gave up regular coffee when I was in my 20's with my fiance at the time who was allergic to caffeine. I don't drink soda either.  Now if I do have a regular cup of coffee I am so sick to my stomach from it and I get the shakes. 

My goto drink is decaf cafe mocha's that I make at home with my own mocha syrup. 
  • @stephie1020  How did you contact customer service? I have the original Nespresso Cube and it's starting to act up.  
  • @Stephie1020, I gave up caffeine in my 20s, too, because it gave me headaches. Now, if I have coffee or tea with caffeine it's truly like a drug -- my heart races, I start bounding off walls (metaphorically) and feeling very shaky and anxious. An accidental ingestion of caffeine anytime after noon will keep me up all night. 

It is handy if I have an emergency need to stay awake (long drive for example) -- then I can have a very small amount of a Pepsi/Coke or whatever and it will help me power through without falling asleep, but I have only actually taken advantage of that about 5 times in 30 years.
  • We take back the Nespresso capsules at my store. @TravelingDesign I would try the Nespresso website if you don't have literature.
  • We take back the Nespresso capsules at my store. @TravelingDesign I would try the Nespresso website if you don't have literature.
    Yea, I found the recycling places in my city and have started saving them.  I checked the FAQ on the website, but I think I'm going to call them.  I tend to make what my family refers to as a "double double"...meaning I use one capsule for 2 big espressos so it fills a coffee cup. Oddly enough, it works fine the first time, when I push the button again, it just leaks water into the capsule catcher.  
  • The representative for one of the espresso machine companies was at the store a few days ago and I was trained on the mostly manual and the mostly automatic machines. I made this cappuccino using the mostly manual machine the next day to reinforce what I learned. I was pretty happy with the result.image
  • edited February 2016
    I have a love hate relationship with coffee. I love it but hate when I have to coast on it. I usually have it black and tepid but love it best with cream and sugar. ( I cut out cream/ milk and sugar from my coffee because I have so many cups a day. It helped me drop 3-4 pounds in a year with absolutely no other change). What's your coffee routine like? What's the best brand for coffee and the best coffee shops in your part of the world?
    Ha, the way you just suffer through coffee is how I prefer it: Black and just slightly above room temperature. Both my parents drink it black (though my dad likes his hot) and they agree on literally nothing else.

I go through phases with coffee -- if I'm super stressed I can end up drinking 3-4 cups a day, but then I end up not feeling very good... I"m at a good place right now, just about 16 ounce a day.

@SarahBeth, your coffee habit reminds me of this: When I went home for christmas break my senior year of college, i spent so much time asleep, my mother actually sat down on the edge of the couch woke me up from a nap, and asked if i was detoxing from drugs... i told her i was coming off a coffee habit of about 5-6 cups a day from writing my thesis first semester, and I cannot describe the look of relief on her face. she didn't quite belive me, but she was glad to grab hold of any hope i hadnt completely come off the rails!

• Last time I ordered the Nespresso capsules, I requested a recyclying bag.  It has a shipping label, so once it's full we can send it back to them directly. 
  • I got lucky and managed to find my issue in the FAQ's on Nespresso.  I think it was just an air pocket of sorts...seems to be working fine now.  

@scout I haven't ordered in a while, I was gifted a whole lot of capsules for Christmas.  I'll have to check out the recycling bag the next time I order. 
  • I love my Nespresso machine which is sacrilege given that I live in Coffee Town, USA!  I bought a device called an "Outpresso" which allows me to recycle the pods at home.  I let a bunch of the used capsules dry out then smash the  capsules in the Outpresso, dump out the coffee from the Outpresso into the compost pail then use a fork to get most of the rest of the coffee out which also goes to compost.  A quick rinse of the capsules and they go into my recycling bin because they're aluminum.  It takes a bit of time, but everything gets recycled except a bit of grounds so really no waste at all.  I use the original capsules so don't know if the Outpresso works for the other type.   

I like that I can make different kinds of coffee for people with the Nespresso, strong or decaf, espresso or regular coffee.  Everyone gets what they want.  My favorite is a latte with lactose-free milk and vanilla.  Most coffee places I've been to don't have lactose-free milk.  I'm not a big fan of soy or the other non-dairy milks so having a machine at home allowed me to go back to having lattes on a regular basis.   I like the Monin line of syrups better than the more commonly found Torani.  Didn't realize there was a difference until I tried both.  

• edited February 2016
    pattyfrost said:
    I have a love hate relationship with coffee. I love it but hate when I have to coast on it. I usually have it black and tepid but love it best with cream and sugar. ( I cut out cream/ milk and sugar from my coffee because I have so many cups a day. It helped me drop 3-4 pounds in a year with absolutely no other change). What's your coffee routine like? What's the best brand for coffee and the best coffee shops in your part of the world?

I prefer it slightly strong with cream and sugar. Sometimes I add a dash of cinnamon or coco powder. I will also take it cream only. I don't drink it daily because I get addicted. I'm also not crazy picky all the time. I can make my own at home in the Keruig, use pods or grind my own if I have some really nice beans, and use my refillable pod. I am also happy with coffee from Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks. If it's Dunkin, I don't want flavored coffee, just regular coffee with cream/sugar. Starbucks I may try one of their specialty drinks but not the real sugary ones. Regular cream/sugar, Skinny flat white, or if I'm splurging skinny mocha no whip. 
  • @rainwood I checked and they no longer sell your nifty device for the nespresso capsules =(
  • @rainwood I checked and they no longer sell your nifty device for the nespresso capsules =(
    Dang!!  I knew I should have bought another one.   
  • Anyone here tried the Aeropress, it's a really quick one cup coffee maker.  Since I go from my brothers house (which has all the coffee making technology) to his mother in laws house (no coffee maker, uses instant decaf) I use this, it's small/light and unbreakable.  The YouTube videos re it's use are sort of hilarious, seems to be beloved by the hipsters.
  • Anyone here tried the Aeropress, it's a really quick one cup coffee maker.  Since I go from my brothers house (which has all the coffee making technology) to his mother in laws house (no coffee maker, uses instant decaf) I use this, it's small/light and unbreakable.  The YouTube videos re it's use are sort of hilarious, seems to be beloved by the hipsters.
    I knew the hipsters love them - which is what has put me off really!