Furniture

2»

Comments

• I have no idea how to get photos to show in posts, but I just got this table and chairs last week from a local vintage shop and I am in love with it. 

• Love that vanity and that quirky set drawers! I'm a bit of a DIYer Mostly because I'm poor, but also because Inherited pieces from my grandparents that have sentimental value. Early on I refinished a end table with a marbletop by painting the table in a highgloss black. My future plans are to paint the entertainment center the same high gloss black to match since they are in the same room. I got the entertainment center from freecycle, but it's really sturdy. This may take a while since it will take at least a week to paint & I want to work on the pieces in the dining room  first. 

In the dining room I have a china cabinet and sideboard I plan to start working on this week. (Making a Home Depot run today) I like the dark wood,but these pieces have been around since I was a child (I'm 53) so they could use some refreshing. I'm going to pick some waxstain and change the hardware. Since my downstairs is open plan, I'm going to put the same hardware on the entertainment center doors as well.

I'm going to try and remember to take before and after pictures since I notoriously neglect to do that.
  • Beth said:
    I just started furniture shopping for our new house in Chattanooga. We had to sell almost everything in Illinois because we couldn't afford to move it. Which means of course that we have very little money to spend on new stuff.

I'm looking at Ashley and Wayfair. Any other suggestions for nice inexpensive stuff?
    Freecycle. I've given way items and also recieved nice things. My office chair, sofa  and entertainment unit were both obtained on freecycle
  • Milaxx said:
    Beth said:
    I just started furniture shopping for our new house in Chattanooga. We had to sell almost everything in Illinois because we couldn't afford to move it. Which means of course that we have very little money to spend on new stuff.

I'm looking at Ashley and Wayfair. Any other suggestions for nice inexpensive stuff?
    Freecycle. I've given way items and also recieved nice things. My office chair, sofa  and entertainment unit were both obtained on freecycle
    I've had tremendous luck with our local Habitat for Humanity ReStore. 
  • not sure how to search, but in my city some of the dog rescues have thrift stores... some good stuff there...
  • I'm being so tempted.

I've been in love with this floor lamp for ages.  It's a design Frank Lloyd Wright did for Taliesin.  It sells everywhere for $2200, way out of my comfort zone for a lamp!  A couple of weeks ago, I wandered into the Chicago Architecture Foundation shop, and they have just begun to sell it.  For $1200.  Seriously, I looked at the tag and said, "That can't be right!"  But it was, I asked the sales associate.  

Today, I got an email from CAF.  They're having a holiday sale.  If the 25% discount applies to items that have to be shipped, I may just buy myself a Christmas present. 
  • Lilithcat said:
    I'm being so tempted.

I've been in love with this floor lamp for ages.  It's a design Frank Lloyd Wright did for Taliesin.  It sells everywhere for $2200, way out of my comfort zone for a lamp!  A couple of weeks ago, I wandered into the Chicago Architecture Foundation shop, and they have just begun to sell it.  For $1200.  Seriously, I looked at the tag and said, "That can't be right!"  But it was, I asked the sales associate.  

Today, I got an email from CAF.  They're having a holiday sale.  If the 25% discount applies to items that have to be shipped, I may just buy myself a Christmas present. 
    Do you have cats?  That looks like a cat-magnet...
  • Lilithcat said:
    I'm being so tempted.

Do you have cats?  That looks like a cat-magnet...
    In my house, everything is a cat-magnet.
  • You know what I'm thinking these days? I'm starting to think "fuck it" ~ I'm turning 60 in 2017, and I'm thinking I'm going to buy myself #allthethingsivedeniedmyselfforyears

So Lilithcat, I say BUY THAT THING. Look at it everyday and let it give you crazy joy. 
  • @maschultz -

If I do in fact get 25% off, I'm definitely getting it.  In fact, I'll probably do it even if I just get the standard 10%.  I just may turn my sunroom into a little Frank Lloyd Wright space, because yesterday I bought an ottoman from another architectural shop.  It's a discontinued piece, and was the store sample.  They were going to give me 15% off but when I went in to buy it, they gave me 20% off!  I'm picking it up on Tuesday. 

Both pieces were designed for Taliesin, so will look very nice together.
  • ~sob~

I stopped in to the shop, and inquired about shipping. The manager said he would check into it and get back to me. Well, in the course of checking into that, he discovered that the lamp was incorrectly priced and that it was, indeed, $2,200. No way I can afford that, even with the discount.

So no FLW space for me. Though the ottoman is lovely!
  • Lilithcat said:
    ~sob~ I stopped in to the shop, and inquired about shipping. The manager said he would check into it and get back to me. Well, in the course of checking into that, he discovered that the lamp was incorrectly priced and that it was, indeed, $2,200. No way I can afford that, even with the discount. So no FLW space for me. Though the ottoman is lovely!
    Oh no!

I saw a FLW gingerbread house yesterday and thought of you.

• Milaxx said:
    Beth said:

I've had tremendous luck with our local Habitat for Humanity ReStore. 
    Also take a peek at Joybird. Custom furniture for reasonable prices. I have a small couch I ordered from them and i love it. 
  • Despite having a house full of furniture, we're going to have to buy a load of stuff for our new house - our existing, wonderful, cat-proof sofas won't be coming with us because they won't fit through the front door, so eventually we need to buy sofas (we're thinking probably a corner sofa for the living room) and in the meantime we'll have the spare bed in the living room as something to sit on. 

We also finally have space for a dining room table. After a bit of butting of heads we've agreed that we both like a semi-industrial sort of style with a thick wood tabletop and metal legs. But now I can't picture dining chairs that will fit that aesthetic AND be comfortable.
  • Dining room chairs seem to suffer from "cat" more than any other piece of furniture. We have needlepoint seats, but because cats like to hang out under the table, and especially on tucked in chairs, they get a lot of claw-based wear-and-tear. I would recommend something non-upholstered, where you can easily add/replace cushions. 
  • Of course, we've finally decided that what we really want are some vintage Mart Stam leather cantilever chairs... so we'll be sitting on milk crates for about 10 years until we can afford them.