Hair color for lazy people

Talk to me about hair color. I am really freaking lazy about my hair and I know that great color is usually high-maintenance. So I've never had my hair colored, or tried it myself, beyond trying semipermanent hair color once or twice. (My hair is dark, and it never really showed.)

However, I'm starting to gray enough that plucking individual hairs isn't going to cut it for much longer. Yeah, I know I could just decide to go gray. I could deal with a full head of gray (or at least, I tell myself I could), but I hate seeing a bunch of individual strands against my dark hair.

I go to the gym a lot, which means I wash my hair a lot.

So...I realize that someone lazy like me may not be able to get *great* color. But I'll settle for pretty good color and coverage of my grays if I can do it and not have to change my routine very much. I'm willing to throw money (like special shampoos instead of the drugstore stuff I use now), but not very much time, at the problem. (If I have to throw time at the problem, I'd rather it were, say, an afternoon in a stylist's chair every couple of months and not 15 minutes added to my hair care routine on a daily basis.) And I really hope I don't have to skip too many workouts to let my color settle in before I can wash my hair.

Do I want something impossible, or is there some magic product that does what I want?

Comments

• If you're looking to deepen up what you have as a brunette or make it "brighter," John Freida has a line called Brilliant Brunette. I believe there is a shampoo, a conditioner, and another separate "treatment." I've used the Blonde version of this and love it. Hair feels soft and looks shiny. That might be something worth investigating.

• edited May 2017
    I do my own hair color at home. Reds and Purples throughout the year. I've had good success with Garnier Nutrisse-that was my go to red for about 5 years. I also used L'oreal Feria, which I liked (don't believe the multi-faceted highlights whatever, hair color just doesn't do that without actually highlighting your hair) and Vidal Sassoon. Lately, I've done Vidal Sassoon with great results. 

I'd at least try the at home and see how it works out. Can't hurt! I dye my hair every 6ish weeks. You may be able to drag it out longer depending on how fast your hair grows. And yes, use sulfate free shampoo and conditioner. L'oreal has a line that I use and like. It's really not high maintenance at all except having to dye it ever 1.5months. 

Also, if you have a lot of hair, go on and get 2 boxes. When I had long hair I ran out of hair dye.....with no back up. I found myself in the drugstore with a grocery bag on my head in a rush to buy more dye!
  • edited May 2017
    I believe one of the sponsors of T-Lo's podcast is a custom hair colour company where they make up a colour for you and it gets delivered with your name on the bottle, but I can't remember the name of the company off the top of my head. I'm intrigued by it, but I don't know if they do any bold colours I'm after. I'm curious if any kittens who comment here have tried it. 

I get my hair professionally coloured every 2-3 months, also in the red and purple range. It's red all over and I have some purpley highlights at the front. It sounds super high-maintenance, but it's really not. I touch up the highlights myself when they start to fade with Manic Panic Purple Haze.

I like to stretch out the time between visits as much as possible so I'm all about colour creme masks. They are the BEST:

The key is that your hair already has to be coloured, it's a maintenance treatment for between visits. Applies and has the consistency of a deep conditioner, the recommended amount of time you put it on for is about 5 minutes, but I leave it on for 15. I've only ever had reddish hair colour since using it and it works brilliantly for when the colour starts to fade and look gross and brassy. I used to see my hair stylist every month and a half but I've been able to stretch out the visits to every 2 (or 3 if I've been SUPER lazy and life just gets in the way) with my at home maintenance. 

I shampoo (also sulfate-free) my hair 3 times a week, coinciding with the running/cardio days when I get super sweaty. In between, I use a combination of dry shampoo, I like Batiste or Klorane, and a cleansing conditioner on my lower-impact workout days. My hair is short though, so perhaps this routine wouldn't work as well if I had longer hair. 
  • I am a very lazy person and the amazing thing I have discovered... if you get your hair cut really short you can wait AGES between colours! I used to have to colour every 4 weeks because the roots were too obvious, but now I can go more than 6 because with a short cut my hair is bouncier and the roots don't show.
  • Anna_P said:
    I believe one of the sponsors of T-Lo's podcast is a custom hair colour company where they make up a colour for you and it gets delivered with your name on the bottle, but I can't remember the name of the company off the top of my head. I'm intrigued by it, but I don't know if they do any bold colours I'm after. I'm curious if any kittens who comment here have tried it. 

I get my hair professionally coloured every 2-3 months, also in the red and purple range. It's red all over and I have some purpley highlights at the front. It sounds super high-maintenance, but it's really not. I touch up the highlights myself when they start to fade with Manic Panic Purple Haze.

I like to stretch out the time between visits as much as possible so I'm all about colour creme masks. They are the BEST:

The key is that your hair already has to be coloured, it's a maintenance treatment for between visits. Applies and has the consistency of a deep conditioner, the recommended amount of time you put it on for is about 5 minutes, but I leave it on for 15. I've only ever had reddish hair colour since using it and it works brilliantly for when the colour starts to fade and look gross and brassy. I used to see my hair stylist every month and a half but I've been able to stretch out the visits to every 2 (or 3 if I've been SUPER lazy and life just gets in the way) with my at home maintenance. 

I shampoo (also sulfate-free) my hair 3 times a week, coinciding with the running/cardio days when I get super sweaty. In between, I use a combination of dry shampoo, I like Batiste or Klorane, and a cleansing conditioner on my lower-impact workout days. My hair is short though, so perhaps this routine wouldn't work as well if I had longer hair. 

This sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. I dye my hair brunette to cover the gray. The problem I've been having for years now is that it will start to fade and look too brassy before it's actually time to dye it again.
  • The Revlon product sounds great, but, according to the reviews, doesn't cover grey. I'm bummed because grey roots are a big problem for me. 
  • The Revlon product sounds great, but, according to the reviews, doesn't cover grey. I'm bummed because grey roots are a big problem for me. 

I has a sad. If it weren't for my stupid grays I wouldn't even need to be looking into hair color! Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Food for thought...
  • Was it Madison Reed that T-Lo discussed on their podcast? 

• I read about them in the New York Times. Thought I'd try them sometime when I have some extra money!

• Switch842 said:
    If you're looking to deepen up what you have as a brunette or make it "brighter," John Freida has a line called Brilliant Brunette. I believe there is a shampoo, a conditioner, and another separate "treatment." I've used the Blonde version of this and love it. Hair feels soft and looks shiny. That might be something worth investigating.

Switch842, you use the "Sheer Blonde"? Just so happens, I FUBAR'd my hair this week & she is in need of some help. I usually go to the salon, but it was going to be a few more weeks before I could go (from GA to FL), so once again I tried to color my short hair. It is NOT the same color any more as my profile picture :( 
  • Switch842 said:
    If you're looking to deepen up what you have as a brunette or make it "brighter," John Freida has a line called Brilliant Brunette. I believe there is a shampoo, a conditioner, and another separate "treatment." I've used the Blonde version of this and love it. Hair feels soft and looks shiny. That might be something worth investigating.

Switch842, you use the "Sheer Blonde"? Just so happens, I FUBAR'd my hair this week & she is in need of some help. I usually go to the salon, but it was going to be a few more weeks before I could go (from GA to FL), so once again I tried to color my short hair. It is NOT the same color any more as my profile picture :( 

I do! It is a very, very gradual change, though. If you need something immediate, it's probably not going to work for that. Sorry... :-(
  • What ever haircolor you choose, I recommend investing in Overtone conditioner. It's colored conditioner so it helps keep the color vibrant. It's gentle enough to use with every wash.
  • I second the Overtone recommendation! It's amazing.