Open Chat 81 - September

Comments

• It was a pretty dramatic change in weather here in Chicago. I actually pulled out a hoodie for my walk to walk.
  • Still muggy and hot here.  Looks like Irma is headed our way too, which is awesome (not), and I have SO MUCH ish to do!!   Must stock up on emergency chocolate...
  • It was a pretty dramatic change in weather here in Chicago. I actually pulled out a hoodie for my walk to walk.
    Indeed there was!  I walked out of my apartment to go to an outdoor concert, turned right around and grabbed a sweater.

Then I got an email from my sister in San Francisco, where it was 106º!   That's crazy stuff!  It's never that hot there!
  • It's barely 65 degrees here in Maryland. Certainly feels more like October than September.
  • Here too! If it wasn't September 3, I'd consider turning the heat on. Its rainy and cold and gross. Going to be warm the next couple of days though.

Ugh, exhausted. My husband and I were away this weekend at a wedding and we got home earlier today. I'm glad to be home and glad we have a long weekend this weekend.

We're going away again the end of September which I'm really looking forward to, but trying to not rush the month. Our fall is quickly filling up with stuff, but I hope its less crazy than the summer was. 

Hope everyone is well. 

• We've been in the house a month and it's still utter chaos. One day I will find my wedding ring.
  • I've got preschool orientation for the Things today, and tomorrow I'm putting them on the bus for their first day. Of course, the bulk of their uniforms are coming later this week (rookie mom mistake, going shopping the last weekend before school!)

And then of course I'm going to end up donating all their uniforms because we're planning on moving in Oct and the other district doesn't require uniforms.  I'm basically just facepalming Picard all the time at this point.
  • @SarahBeth how's your husband / household stress doing?  I was thinking about you recently!
  • @SarahBeth how's your husband / household stress doing?  I was thinking about you recently!
    thanks for asking! Husband is on the mend. His shoulder is actually pretty good, so we think he'll be done with the workers comp soon. he's back at school full time to finish out his BA and has at least 3 semesters left (probably 4). He's good with his financial aid for this year but next year we may have to come up with the $ to pay for his tuition, which is fine. He's been able to help out more at home which is taking some of the stress off of me but there's still shit I'm chasing down and having to do. It doesn't help work is super busy right now too. 

But its all good I think. :) 
  • Got up at 6:30 am and was at Publix at 6:50 am.  Doors opened 5 minutes later (5 minutes early!) and within 16 minutes of the doors opening they were completely cleared out of water.

I have enough for my family now, but I'm going out again later for gasoline, plastic bowls (completely out of those too!), some dry goods we're a little low on, and to see if I can find any water for my sister (who works swing shift and isn't able to hunt water AND be awake at work later).  I would've bought her some at Publix, but they limited us to 2 per customer, which was totally fair.  Fingers crossed...
  • GeoDiva said:
    @carlatheviking ; Stay safe!
    Thanks!  We have everything we need now except a little more water, and we're thinking about looking for some powerbanks tomorrow afternoon because we're all tech-addicted and there's only so much knitting Mom and I can do before we start strangling people with yarn.  I'm worried about my sister and her fiance because they're in a small apartment with a kitty and we've only managed to get one case of water for them.  I'm going to try and get more tomorrow, but if not, we'll manage somehow.
  • Got up at 6:30 am and was at Publix at 6:50 am.  Doors opened 5 minutes later (5 minutes early!) and within 16 minutes of the doors opening they were completely cleared out of water.

I have enough for my family now, but I'm going out again later for gasoline, plastic bowls (completely out of those too!), some dry goods we're a little low on, and to see if I can find any water for my sister (who works swing shift and isn't able to hunt water AND be awake at work later).  I would've bought her some at Publix, but they limited us to 2 per customer, which was totally fair.  Fingers crossed...

This West Coast kitten wishes you a smooth ride with Irma, take care.
  • Stay dry and battened down, kittens!

Or damp and fireproof for some of the other kittens.
  • Stay safe everyone from Irma!!!!!  The scenes from the Caribbean islands are devastating.
  • Thanks y'all!  Mom and I went to Publix a little while earlier to get the weekend's fruit and we stocked up on chips and chocolate (fruit was bought as well) and the second-to-last bag of ice.  Technically, it was third to last, but I was standing politely behind a guy getting a bag because hurricanes are no excuse to act like savages, and he scoops up a bag, turns, and hands it to me!

I thanked him profusely and it was the tiniest act of goodwill but it made me so happy (and not just because I'm tired from putting up plywood and water-hunting three days straight), and gave me hope it'll be a "safe" hurricane.

My only beef is that I ordered some lights off Amazon and they're supposed to arrive by 8 pm today (33 minutes from now) and they haven't yet, BUT my mom's fan (ordered at the same time) arrived at 6 pm today.  Grrr...I don't know if there will be deliveries tomorrow and I'm mad!!  (Lucky me I bought extra lights at Harbor Freight and found a spare one in my desk earlier today.)
  • Just checking in, @Carlatheviking. Let us know you're ok and how things are when you can. 

Hope you weathered the storm OK with minimal damage.
  • We're all fine!  I'm sorry I forgot to post here yesterday, but I only got internet back half an hour ago and was checking in on facebook on my phone.

Branches down everywhere and the yard was a mess (been cleaning up all yesterday and part of today) but the only damage to the house was a gutter that got sheered by a falling branch.  AND Dad has finally agreed to take down those damn holly trees between the house and the pool!!  WIN!

Thanks for thinking of us :)
  • We're all fine!  I'm sorry I forgot to post here yesterday, but I only got internet back half an hour ago and was checking in on facebook on my phone.

Branches down everywhere and the yard was a mess (been cleaning up all yesterday and part of today) but the only damage to the house was a gutter that got sheered by a falling branch.  AND Dad has finally agreed to take down those damn holly trees between the house and the pool!!  WIN!

Thanks for thinking of us :)

Glad you are all okay. I imagine cleanup is going to be an ongoing project.
  • @carlatheviking ; Glad you surfaced and things are okay.  
  • Haha yeah it's going to take us ages to clean up properly!  But the front yard is nice again and the pool is perfect, so that's pretty good.