Celebrity Encounters

123457»

Comments

• edited November 2015
    Really enjoyed this thread!
    In the mid 80's, a friend and I went to see Black Flag at a small club, and met Henry Rollins. He was very polite and soft spoken. We also chatted with bassist Kira in the ladies room, she invited us to a party after the show, but we both had work the next day so we declined. (will regret that forever)
    The rest are from my husband and friends who all worked at a  local resort/concert venue
    My husband worked there as a chef  for awhile and cooked for Joe Piscopo, who sent his 'compliments to the chef.'
    Loretta Lynn appeared at the resort and was a complete harridan- rude, obnoxious verbally abusive to the staff.
    And there's this-Mariah Carey also appeared at this resort and demanded that they remove the toilet from her room and install a new toilet for her! She was offered a new toilet seat, but was not happy with that compromise at all. Friends saw Mariah's show and said it was awful-she performed 45
    minutes, and never came out for an encore (probably still pissed off
    about the toilet incident).
    ETA-My 3 sons all went to a sports bar earlier this year to watch a UFC event and saw Joe Rogan trying to be inconspicuous at the bar.

• Ugh, just yesterday I was at Disneyland and got on the It's A Small World boat.  There was a delay that I assumed was a technical problem (some doll refused to lip-synch?), but eventually they told us that there was a group of VIPs in the boat ahead of us.

We waited a few minutes, and for all the drama I was hoping it was effing Angela Merkel or Barbra Streisand or something.  Someone worth calling a VIP.  Turned out to be a bunch of the Kardashians.  What a let-down.  I recognized Kanye & Kris Jenner.  Everyone around me were in bright happy colors and their entire boat of about 20 people were dressed in black from head to toe.  I didn't think I could hate them more.
  • @daveinhollywood  Were there cameras following them around?  Do I have to ask?  

My cousin works security at disneyland. Am totally going to ask her to dish next time I see her.
  • There had better have been cameras. I can't think of any other reason (barring getting a differently abled person on and off the boat) for delaying "It's a Small World." You literally step on a boat and sit down. 
  • I did not see any cameras, though half the boat was probably security.  I'm surprised Kanye allowed anyone taller than him around.
  • I did not see any cameras, though half the boat was probably security.  I'm surprised Kanye allowed anyone taller than him around.
    Ooooooooooh....the shade.   :)
  • I'm not saying too much, but you all should know Oscar Issac is as adorable and lovely as you'd expect. I'm totally smitten by him, it's been a pleasure. 
  • That is good to hear, @Scarlett. I have been a fan of his for so long and it is nice to hear he is a good guy. I hate having to share my long time imaginary boyfrend with the world, but it is great that he is finally getting the attention he deserves! (And I am so glad all worries about him not being a big part of the movie were unfounded).
  •  When I first moved to SF, I was walking down Haight st. and there was a quiet rush of whispered excitement and I realized I was walking right behind Bowie and Iman! People were really respectful and didn't bother them, giving them their space. It did feel a bit like being in an entourage, swept into their wave. No one behind passed them, people followed at their languid pace as they strolled down the street, like being in a royal presence. It seemed like a fortunate sign to me that I had made a good move to an interesting city.
  • I saw Jimmy Smits in the security line at the airport yesterday. He was wearing a stupid ball cap (to be ingognito? It didn't work) and was very handsome and very tall. I rarely sight celebs, but when I do, they are usually good ones. I was thrilled!
  • Scarlett said:
    I'm not saying too much, but you all should know Oscar Issac is as adorable and lovely as you'd expect. I'm totally smitten by him, it's been a pleasure. 

Are you kidding? Dish! 
  • KarenFK said:
    I saw Jimmy Smits in the security line at the airport yesterday. He was wearing a stupid ball cap (to be ingognito? It didn't work) and was very handsome and very tall. I rarely sight celebs, but when I do, they are usually good ones. I was thrilled!

Did you lick him? I might have licked him.
  • @DrSparkles the temptation was strong, but he was too far away. Otherwise I would definitley have done something embarrassing.
  • Not that I've ever licked anyone, but the temptation would be STRONG w him. I'm panting right now!!!
  • I know what you mean @DrSparkles. One glorious time, I sat right behind Hugh Jackman in a theater (a theater where he was performing, so it wasn't as out of the blue as it sounds; he had put an audience member onstage and then sat in the seat directly in front of me to watch). I had to sit on my hands to keep from touching him. I about died.

If I had been closer to Jimmy Smits, I would have had to put my hands in my pockets or something. What was great about him being too far away to touch, was that I could look at him all I wanted without being too obvious about it.
  • A few years ago Amanda Palmer did a Kickstarter to fund her album, and one of the reward levels was she'd play a private house party for up to 50 people. Most of those sold to groups of 50 people chipping in together, and I was part of a group buy. The party was hosted at a coffee shop owned by one of the other contributors. I went by myself, didn't know anybody there, but I figured the people-watching would be good, and I planned to sit in a corner and just observe. One woman there wasn't having it, however. So she grabbed me, took me around and introduced me to everyone. Then she decided I was overwhelmed and took me outside so she could have a smoke.

We chatted a bit, and then she leaned over and said, "Can I tell you a secret? I'm Neil Gaiman's personal assistant. He's coming tonight to surprise Amanda. Don't you dare put that on Twitter!" 

So then I had to keep my cool knowing this big secret, but I kept my trap shut. The owner of the coffee shop also knew. (She and Neil were friends, hence him picking this particular party to surprise his wife.) Neil showed up an hour or two into the party. Everyone freaked out. He was super nice, signed things, read stories, took a ton of pictures, chatted with people. Neil's assistant made sure I got to meet him and take extra pictures. We talked about children's literature, and then he gave me the loveliest bear hug. I got a couple of autographs, but even more treasured is the list of children's books he jotted down for me. I framed the list, not the autographs. 

I guess this also counts as a story about getting to meet Amanda Palmer. But you know... NEIL GAIMAN. Sorry, Amanda.

Neil's (now former) assistant is also the coolest lady. I still keep in touch with her.
  • edited April 2016
    KarenFK said:
    I know what you mean @DrSparkles. One glorious time, I sat right behind Hugh Jackman in a theater (a theater where he was performing, so it wasn't as out of the blue as it sounds; he had put an audience member onstage and then sat in the seat directly in front of me to watch). I had to sit on my hands to keep from touching him. I about died.

If I had been closer to Jimmy Smits, I would have had to put my hands in my pockets or something. What was great about him being too far away to touch, was that I could look at him all I wanted without being too obvious about it.

Note to self: hands in pockets ($ tongue in mouth)! What a great story @enuma!
  • I was in a pub near my office having lunch yesterday. We were the only occupied table in the place and the only staff member on (who is usually a real sweetheart) was being quite brusque and made us go order at the bar.

3 guys came in and sat down, and the waiter went to give them table service. I looked over and realised that one of them was Alaska Thunderfuck. When we finished and left we realised that one of the others was Sharon Needles. Didn't recognise the 3rd. Turns out they had a show last night not far from where I work.
  • I just got back from taking my dog Logan for a walk. Along the way he started playing w a handsome pup...then I realized his human is Jessica Lange. We had a lovely conversation.
  • nolakent said:

I just got back from taking my dog Logan for a walk. Along the way he started playing w a handsome pup...then I realized his human is Jessica Lange. We had a lovely conversation.

Well that's cool!
  • nolakent said:

I just got back from taking my dog Logan for a walk. Along the way he started playing w a handsome pup...then I realized his human is Jessica Lange. We had a lovely conversation.

Well that's cool!
    VERY COOL!!!