Hamiltunes

13»

Comments

• I'm a bit late to the party -- just started listening to the soundtrack a couple of months ago. I talked my husband into letting me play it on a long car trip recently. He was skeptical, but has since fallen in love (and we are both reading the Chernow biography right now).

I'm not ready to cough up a month's rent for a pair of tickets. His parents live in one of the tour cities so we're thinking we will combine a trip to the in-laws with Hamilton next year and I bet the price of the airfare and the tickets together STILL adds up to less than what we'd pay in NYC!
  • I'm really close to NYC, and I think it's probably going to go down as a major regret in my life that I couldn't afford tickets to see it with the original cast.
  • @stellavision and anyone else looking to see it on tour: I recommend getting on whatever email list exists for the theater/show/subscription series that will include Hamilton so that you get notice as soon as tickets go on sale. And then treat it like a concert tickets or something and try to buy something immediately when they become available. Using this technique, I was able to see it twice on Broadway without having to buy resale/scalper tickets and for totally reasonable (for Broadway) prices and then I planned trips to NY around the ticket dates.

You can get on the email list for NY, too, on the show's official website although right now I think it is sold out through May 2017.
  • (Sorry if this has been posted in another thread?)  Adorable young Lin-Manuel, performing the first draft at the White House Poetry Jam in 2009.  He's so cute here, and funny...I just love him.

And, wow, hell hath no fury...the song Burn in American Sign Language:

• I've listened to this and enjoyed it myself.

I'm more annoyed/upset how expensive Hamilton tickets really are. It's legit a mortgage payment - its coming to Boston I think next year? I haven't decided if I'm going to see it since they're probably also going to be stupid expensive here as well. 
  • @SarahBeth and @JealousOfBelle ; My feelings are the same, both that I regret not having seen it (yet), and that I'm upset at how ridiculously-expensive the tickets are. 
  • nolakent said:
    @SarahBeth and @JealousOfBelle ; My feelings are the same, both that I regret not having seen it (yet), and that I'm upset at how ridiculously-expensive the tickets are. 
    Agreed!! Like, damn, I know I'm not well-off or anything, but it was just soooo much.  And they went soooo fast.
  • It;s actually *more* annoying to me that it's so close to me, since finances is *literally* the only thing blocking me from seeing it.  I go to the city all the time (or, did, before the Things) so it's not like heading up there is a burden.
  • nolakent said:
    @SarahBeth and @JealousOfBelle ; My feelings are the same, both that I regret not having seen it (yet), and that I'm upset at how ridiculously-expensive the tickets are. 
    I read about the $800 seats or whatever there were in NYC for the front few rows. That's absurd -- there's no way anyone who is not well off can afford that and when the other seats are over $100 each too? I just can't - way to make the show unaccessible to a lot of people except via the lottery. 
  • @JealousOfBelle mwahahaha, welcome. The obsession - it doesn't ebb :) 
  • Incidentally, I did finally download the cast album on itunes last night, so I am looking forward to listening to it tonight while hopefully finishing  the final three (yay!) sketches for a Mardi Gras ball.  Come to think of it, I've done lots of stuff (downloading music, watching shows, reading books, cooking something new) based on fellow Kittens recommendations!
  • This all started years ago when The Producers was the hot ticket on Broadway. They got the idea for "premium Orchestra seats" and raised the price for the front section of the orchestra to $300 or $400 a seat. People pay it, so they keep doing it. Capitalism at work. Regular orchestra seats are still over $100, but at least that isn't stratospheric and is in line with most Broadway shows (I paid about $130 each for my rear orchestra seats).

I get that the Hamilton producers decided that if people will pay big bucks to scalpers, they might as well be the ones charging the big bucks for premium seats in the first place and jacking the price up, but I sure hope the $800/seat price tag doesn't spread. I can't imagine those prices becoming routine -- Hamilton is kind of a special case because of the hysterical popularity around it.

I do admire they way they are making it available to high school kids through the EduHam program, so there's that at least. Small comfort if you aren't an APUSH student/teacher in a city where Hamilton is playing, though.
  • edited July 2016
    Just wanted to share a funny video for Hamilton fans:

The Emotional stages of listening to Hamilton: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7xOMnBiEV0

(I tried to embed the video, but not sure how)

I hope I can see the live show either in Chicago, or when the tour comes to St. Louis next year.

• It doesn't bother me that the tickets are so expensive. It's not like a football game where you can seat 30,000 people (and even THOSE tickets go for obscene amounts of money a lot of the time!), so there are far more people who want to see the show than can see the show. If not by pricing the tickets at what the market will bear, how else are they going to get distributed? If, say, every ticket cost $200 but you had to enter a lottery to buy one, then you're restricting access by luck and by who's willing to pounce on the lottery a hot second after it's offered. (And then the tickets would STILL go on the resale market for many times the original price.)

LMM has made what is by all accounts some extraordinary art, and I'm glad to see him making serious bank from it. Yeah, the ticket prices mean I won't be going for a good long time, but that would be true under a system with cheaper tickets too, since you'd have to be exceedingly patient and lucky (or be a well-coded bot) to beat the odds.
  • SarahBeth said:
    I've listened to this and enjoyed it myself.

I'm more annoyed/upset how expensive Hamilton tickets really are. It's legit a mortgage payment - its coming to Boston I think next year? I haven't decided if I'm going to see it since they're probably also going to be stupid expensive here as well. 
    I hope not too. I know when I saw Book of Mormon in Boston in 2013 I paid just under $100 each for mezzanine tickets and $66 each for balcony tickets. I hope the prices stay close to that, but it has been 3 years so i imagine they've gone up a little.
  • I'm still coming waaaaaay late to the party and am losing my mind over the Rent album....
    ooooOOO Rent is so good!!  
  • Rent and Hamilton, 2 musicals that have changed my life.  
  • I have looked EVERYWHERE online for the video of the Kelly Clarkston re-mix/new version- can't find it...

anyone have a link? (hear it is amazing)
  • edited November 2016
    @largishbearishAtlish: She sang It's Quiet Up Town from the mixtape on Facebook Live last week. Here's the video from that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzXZFBBWz_I
  • @largishbearishAtlish: She sang It's Quiet Up Town from the mixtape on Facebook Live last week. Here's the video from that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzXZFBBWz_I
    Thanks! can't wait to see a 'real' video (the organ is over powering her amazing/wonderful voice...and she really makes it her own...chills. (and the oddball lighting lol)- just her and a mic would be AMAZING!

(not sure why I could not find it...)
  • YES!!!! I got tix for Hamilton in Atlanta next month!!!!!

If you have trouble finding your seats, just look around, look around.... ;)

or if your 2nd person cancels (cough)...

I didn't even try...ju$t too much I am $ure.... (sigh)

(am sure I knew, but didn't know/realize you are also in Atlanta?)
  • edited April 12
    @nolakent ;) & @largishbearishAtlish I will keep you in mind! It wasn't so much the money as the LINES of course. My tix was 'only' $150 (well, $176 after fees). We had 3 friends online & one in the physical line at the Fox. Yeah, I think we've talked about local dog parks before?