America's Got Talent 2018

Well the new season starting airing last night. There was the usual mix of good and bad acts. Tyra seems to be finding her groove with the show.

There were 3 acts that really stood out in my mind for be original

The first was a animal act where they had the creatures do the usual tricks of jumping, crawling, climbing, leaping through hoops. Except these were all done with houecats, not dogs. Very impressive

The 2nd act was a group of dancers mad eof up young guys from the Philipines. They started out as a typical hip hop dance group and including some decent acrobatic elements. Not bad but nothing new. Halfway through these boys switched to glittery gold high heels and the personality went through the roof combining ballroom cultuire moves with gymnastic elements. Yes they were landing back flip in fabulous high heels

The 3rd was a female magician who came out as the girl from The Ring. She was super creepy and never broke character. She performed an equally eerie trick using ghost photography. She scared the shit out of the judges and most of them loved it

Comments

• LOVED the cats! The female comediene I could not decide on- she had the really really bad luck to remind me (instantly) of Roseanne Barr (not a good thing) and Suzi...something? instantly terrific tho (I thought the Joan Rivers comparrisson was a bit 'much' tho (Rivers is a legend to me)...

'The Ring' thing? too freagin creepy for me- I FF'd thru it- there seemed to be a batch of 'ick' for me..

The water spraying guys were utterly unexpected... but I don't see them lasting long...

oh and the 'hit us with schmaltz' stories are (already) getting...treacly for me (the 'out mother died of cancer and...') call me a creep but...yeesh...

But, its all fun..summer numbing T.V. :)
  • LOVED the cats! The female comediene I could not decide on- she had the really really bad luck to remind me (instantly) of Roseanne Barr (not a good thing) and Suzi...something? instantly terrific tho (I thought the Joan Rivers comparrisson was a bit 'much' tho (Rivers is a legend to me)...

'The Ring' thing? too freagin creepy for me- I FF'd thru it- there seemed to be a batch of 'ick' for me..

The water spraying guys were utterly unexpected... but I don't see them lasting long...

oh and the 'hit us with schmaltz' stories are (already) getting...treacly for me (the 'out mother died of cancer and...') call me a creep but...yeesh...

The 'schmaltz' is why I just can't watch it anymore.
  • rawtoo said:

LOVED the cats! The female comediene I could not decide on- she had the really really bad luck to remind me (instantly) of Roseanne Barr (not a good thing) and Suzi...something? instantly terrific tho (I thought the Joan Rivers comparrisson was a bit 'much' tho (Rivers is a legend to me)...

and I will have to tape it from now on- the 'creepy stuff' spooked/s me...ugh.

Also feeling waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too overproduced! (get on with it...they wittle down what 5 acts, when they sat there for DAYS? (and the pretaped 'back stories'...gives you cavities there is SO MUCH SUGAR!) (and please, no more 'diving out of an plane/outdoor crap...that won't be an act. period (but the kitty act was pure silly joy lol :) )
  • rawtoo said:

LOVED the cats! The female comediene I could not decide on- she had the really really bad luck to remind me (instantly) of Roseanne Barr (not a good thing) and Suzi...something? instantly terrific tho (I thought the Joan Rivers comparrisson was a bit 'much' tho (Rivers is a legend to me)...

The cat act is the first one of the premiere episode, watch it! So awesome.
  • This week's episode was not nearly as filled with schmaltzy back stories. There were a couple but not as many

They did repeat a motif from last week where they showed a bunch of acts of a similar theme getting rejected with the last one getting a slew of yes votes.

Last week it was "scary" themed acts. This week it was acrobats-most of which were clearly not ready to perform live. Simon stated at one point. "We're doing you a favor. If we let you pass through, you'll end up killing yourselves in the next round"
  • Frank_821 said:

This week's episode was not nearly as filled with schmaltzy back stories. There were a couple but not as many

They did repeat a motif from last week where they showed a bunch of acts of a similar theme getting rejected with the last one getting a slew of yes votes.

Last week it was "scary" themed acts. This week it was acrobats-most of which were clearly not ready to perform live. Simon stated at one point. "We're doing you a favor. If we let you pass through, you'll end up killing yourselves in the next round"

I will take (crappy) acrobatics over 'scary' ANY day (UGH)...which is now why I TAPE it..

and what the hell was that with the god awful wig Mel B? Lose a bet??? and Ms Klums mock,er, make up?? ugh

I don't think Simons 'pass thru' was quite as deserving of ALL the gushing tho....(it was the back story NOT the singing- had they not known ALLLLLL that, would he have gotten sent thru? I think NOT.
  • well that was a mix of good and bad

I use to seeing poor acts on the show. It's par for the course. But that mom coming to defend her son was so awkward and uncomfortable. Part of me wanted the judges to tell her to shut up and stop embarrassing her son. That woman is way narcissistic. It was like something out of Everyone Loves Raymond