Book Recommendations and Reading

167891012»

Comments

• nolakent said:
    I'm halfway through David Sedaris' book so far.  It's a collection of his diary entries going back to the mid-70's; I'm really enjoying it.
    Theft by Finding: Diaries (1977-2002) is my latest audiobook. I've loved Sedaris' work for years, especially when he reads it himself, and the diaries are no exception - though they're (by their nature) a bit less coherent than his usual essays. The kinds of things he finds worth noting are... interesting!  The diary entries about his mother and his sister Tiffany are especially poignant.

• Radium Girls!!! Incredible non-fiction story about the young women who worked painting glow-in-the-dark paint onto clock and watch faces and military gauges back in the 1920's and '30's. I found it fascinating, sad, empowering.
  • edited August 2017
    Some of my favorite reads from July:

The Devourers by Indra Das, about immortal shapeshifters in the Far East.

The Walking Drum by Louis L'Amour (yep, the one best known for his Westerns), a lively Byzantine-era historical novel about a roving adventurer. 

My Brother's Husband by Gengoroh Tagame, a manga about a single father raising a young daughter - and whose household is enlivened by a visit from his late brother's husband, a husky Canadian who's still mourning his loss but is eager to meet his family.

Wilde Life by Pascal Lepas, a graphic novel (originally a web comic) about an everyman who's fled to a small town for reasons as yet unknown, only to find himself surrounded by the supernatural, from a friendly ghost to a grumpy teenaged werewolf. 

Monstress by Marjorie Liu, a stunningly-illustrated graphic novel set in a lush fantasy world full of magic, torment, and vengeance. Easily the most beautiful graphic novel I've seen an a very long time. 

Links are to my BookCrossing reviews.
  • The Coincidence Makers by Yoav Blum. One of the blurbs on the book jacket calls it speculative fiction. It really made me think about coincidence, random occurrence and how one event can have a major impact.
  • I belong to the 'D20 book club'- everyone gets 2-3 'slots'. at the end of the meeting/dinner, we roll a D20 to choose the next months book. I was SOOOOO pissed, the one month they read a huge fave of mine (Dragonflight by Anne McCaffery) I *forgot* the meeting! grrr....

I am still pushing for Murmuration by TJ Klune- simply one of the BEST books I have EVER read....(think Twilight Zone meets Big Eden (or that charming tv show that was set in the tiny quirky town in Alaska, but even more gay-friendly). Wow. Just...wow. (I had to reread the last 2 pages several times...) if ANYONE tells you the plot, call me- I will come and kill them for you. Really.
  • I just read 'The Nightingale' -- LOVED it!
  • I just read 'The Nightingale' -- LOVED it!

There are quite a few books with that title. Who wrote the one you read? And what's it about and why did you love it?
  • Oops! https://www.amazon.com/Nightingale-Novel-Kristin-Hannah/dp/1250080401

It’s historical fiction, set in WW II, French resistance against the Nazis. Centers on one family, was really good, I read it over one hot ass Atl weekend!
  • Sounds interesting, thanks!
  • I'm not sure if anyone suggested this since I haven't made it through all the comments but I'm reading The Secret History by Donna Tartt. I think this book is wonderful and I'm enjoying it a bit more than The Goldfinch at this stage in the book.

Housekeeping by Marianne Robinson has to be one of my all time favorite books due to the beautiful writing and attention to things I think most of us miss in other people. Two magic books!

I wanted to mention that Donna Tartt does her own reading on Audible's version of The Secret History and she does a wonderful job!